MP crashes if using ASIO with all SVN's since 17453 (1 Viewer)

sdf

Portal Pro
September 29, 2006
Home Country
Italy Italy
It's definitely a Vista only (asio-MP) error.
Asio works perfectly with, xmplay, foobar2000, Winamp (in Vista).
Asio works perfectly in MP with XP.
Hi,
sdf

phunqe

Portal Pro
April 28, 2007
So what is the status on this? It has been over a month now. I don't know about others, but I would consider this a showstopping bug since it kinda voids the whole music playing part of MP.

Thanks.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    We need a volunteer with Vista to confirm in exactly what SVN and what configuration the problem was introduced. Starting with plain 17453 without tvserver and any user plugins, then upgrading until the problem occurs. Only then some progress can be made, right now we're looking for a needle in the haystack.

I don't have Vista available here, otherwise i would do it.

The CUE file issue is probably not related to this, because it was added in later SVN.

phunqe

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2007
    Alright, here we go. Common for all the tests below is that I did not change ANY of the default settings other than what I describe. Using default skin, settings, plugins etc. Nothing extra installed or tampered with. I did however set the log information level to debug.

Pre-requisites: Installed ASIO4ALL, version 2.8 final.
    Sound card: Auzentech x-Meridian 7.1

Setup phases and results:

1. Installed 0.2.3.0 final. Setup music directory. Selected BASS player. Set output level to 100. Enabled ASIO playback. Selected ASIO4ALL. Made sure the ASIO4ALL setup is correct for my soundcard.

RESULT: Playback OK.

2. Installed SVN 17453. No settings changed.

RESULT: Playback OK.

3. Installed SVN 17454. No settings changed.

RESULT: Crash on playback.

Logs for each phase are attached. If you're really stuck on this I could try to install VS2008 on the HTPC and debug it to see where it crashes. Let me know if you need further information.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ok good work phunqe! This rules out a lot of things. I will look into this later this weekend and see again if i can find out what's been changed in 17454. It must be inthere somehow.

Just to be sure: TV server was not installed while doing these tests?

Thanx,
    Symphy

phunqe

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2007
    No, I did not install the TV server, only the 0.2.3.0 package found at
    Code:
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mediaportal/MediaPortal_0.2.3.0_Setup.exe
    Then the SVNs at
    Code:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/nightly-builds-v0-2-3-0-final-229/

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just been digging in SVN sources. Only changes made in 17454 are to tvserver... Leaves us to find out how that can affect MP1... Feels like i'm missing something here!

phunqe

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2007
    Do the SVN releases (which you can download here through the forums) include debug symbols?

darklord

Portal Pro
    September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    asio and digital sound

Just want to tell that i have problem with asio when i changed from xp to vista before everything worked fine.
    Now i have many problems with sound and thinking of using the analog out to solve all problems with digital sound. phu..

phunqe

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2007
    I've been fiddling a bit with the source code and since it crashes on

playbackStarted = BassAsio.BASS_ASIO_Start(0); in BassAudio.c

I tried to see if I could upgrade the BASS.NET library. However, it seems that this hasn´t been updated since March last year in MediaPortal, which resulted in a truckload of code changes.

I don´t know if I have the time to do it and is not even guaranteed it will solve the problem.

Did you have any other ideas Symphy?

EDIT:

Ok, so I managed to upgrade the BASS.NET components, but I had to change and comment out a lot of code due to a lot of changes in BASS.NET. Sadly, no music file plays after I messed around with it. Can't really say if I did a bad change or if I had to comment something out that was needed.
    In any case, I don't know if it would work with a BASS.NET upgrade or not. The changes needed are quite substantial and without more in-depth investigation I can´t make it work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom