[fixed] MP freeze after resume from standby at different actions. (1 Viewer)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    So it's still an issue then? After RTSP and LAV are ruled out?
    It might very well be a plugin that causes the problems. My suggestion would be to start MediaPortal with the WatchDog (option 1) before going to bed @ night. This will start Mp with the default skin (Titan) and disables all plugins. Test that for 2/3 days, and see if you still encounter the freezes after resume from S3.
    If you still experience freezes with WatchDog option 1, the issues seems related to MP core components. If not, then you need to figure out what plugin is causing this.

What about the threading problems in the error log? Do you see any relation?
    The 'LoadSkin' errors in your logs only show up with Debug logging enabled. It's extended logging added by our team to get signals of plugins that use the main thread, and therefor can easily block the UI thread, which (in the end) can result in a freeze.

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It might very well be a plugin that causes the problems. My suggestion would be to start MediaPortal with the WatchDog (option 1) before going to bed @ night. This will start Mp with the default skin (Titan) and disables all plugins. Test that for 2/3 days, and see if you still encounter the freezes after resume from S3.
    If you still experience freezes with WatchDog option 1, the issues seems related to MP core components. If not, then you need to figure out what plugin is causing this.
    The watchdog is now enabled like you suggested! Lets see what happens.

The 'LoadSkin' errors in your logs only show up with Debug logging enabled. It's extended logging added by our team to get signals of plugins that use the main thread, and therefor can easily block the UI thread, which (in the end) can result in a freeze.
    I turned on debug logging for obvious reasons :)

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok I was able to crash the client, but in a different way.

+ started Watchdog, option 1 (report bug)
    + leave the system idle overnight
    + go to tv guide, start tv (SD program --> ffdshow), escape to guide with tv still running --> no freeze, even if repeated
    + go to settings - gui - skin with tv still running, change the background image to default and back to none, hit escape --> client becomes unresponsive, screen becomes distorted and mostly black
    14-40-10.png
    + client can be closed with alt+f4 though (which was impossible to do in the first scenario)

However, by looking at the logs, I get the impression that tv server was busy grabbing epg all night long. Perhaps someone could kindly have a look into this, even if it might not be directly related.

upload_2014-8-26_14-57-24.png

upload_2014-8-26_14-58-47.png

It's a completely different behavior, perhaps I hit a different bug.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    + go to tv guide, start tv (SD program --> ffdshow), escape to guide with tv still running --> no freeze, even if repeated
    Good, so that suggest that if you get freezes with normal usage, a plugin or skin is causing the problems.

+ go to settings - gui - skin with tv still running, change the background image to default and back to none, hit escape --> client becomes unresponsive, screen becomes distorted and mostly black
    That's probably caused because the cache needs to be cleared. A restart fixes this.

About the EPG grabbing: Enable the option 'Store data only for the selected channels' (last screenshot) and see if that improves. Leaves the channels below checked.

Only 1 error in your latest log:
    Code:
    [2014-08-26 14:39:38,537] [Error  ] [29       ] [ERROR] - render exception:System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
       bei MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUILabelControl.DrawText(Single xpos, Single ypos, String label, Int32 width)
       bei MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUILabelControl.Render(Single timePassed)
       bei MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIControl.DoRender(Single timePassed, UInt32 currentTime)
       bei MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIWindow.Render(Single timePassed)
    And i suspect the background change to be the cause of this (rendering issue), while MP was running.

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi HomeY,

thanks for the replies. Before we go on, please let me sum this up from my pespective.

I think we may have identified 3 possible issues.

1. some plugin might be causing the client to freeze after standby, possible due to a threading problem
    2. changing the backdrop may corrupt screen rendering
    3. grabbing EPG on all enabled&grouped channels may prevent standby

3 is somehow interrelated to 1, since preventing standby altogether will change some of the conditions.

Would you agree?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    About the EPG grabbing: Enable the option 'Store data only for the selected channels' (last screenshot) and see if that improves. Leaves the channels below checked.
    With the greatest respect I'd suggest this option is irrelevant to the problem. Enabling that option only restricts which data is stored; it does not restrict the grabbing which is what is actually preventing standby.

Each channel that is ticked is a channel that TV Server must tune and spend a few minutes grabbing on. With so many channels available and so many channels ticked, it would be very easy to configure TV Server to grab continuously forever.

My advice would be to make it your goal to minimise the number of ticked channels with "store data..." not ticked. Remember: you're not ticking channels that you want EPG data for; you're ticking channels to grab from.

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, heres a quick update on subject 1. After having had the system on standby for about 6 hours (disabled epg grabbing), there was no freezing.

As to the epg grabbing subject, I completely agree with nm1352000's opinion. "grab" and "store" epg should be separate options for each channel, unless you want to store everything.

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    From a quick view, it seems FH is enable and you need my updated version from somewhere lol :
    Code:
    01-Sep-2014 05:16:03 Error [       ScraperWorker]: OnDoWork: System.TypeLoadException: Der Typ "MediaPortal.Music.Database.AudioscrobblerBase" in der Assembly "Databases, Version=1.8.100.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" konnte nicht geladen werden.
       bei FanartHandler.DatabaseManager.InitialScrape()
       bei FanartHandler.ScraperWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
    01-Sep-2014 05:16:03 Error [       ScraperWorker]: OnDoWork: System.TypeLoadException: Der Typ "MediaPortal.Music.Database.AudioscrobblerBase" in der Assembly "Databases, Version=1.8.100.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" konnte nicht geladen werden.
       bei FanartHandler.DatabaseManager.InitialScrape()
       bei FanartHandler.ScraperWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)

But that's maybe not related to your freeze but you need to fix it or disable it too for your test :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom