[not reproducible] MP Full screen minimizes when another application is in focus on the second monitor (1 Viewer)

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I have a dual screen system. When MediaPortal is showing a movie in full screen, any activity on the second monitor that takes over the focus causes MediaPortal to minimize thus interrupting the video playback on the main screen. When MP is not playing back any video, any activity on the second screen does not minimize MediaPortal in the main window, but MP still keeps the focus. No mimimize problem if the video is not in full screen. I was able to actively use the second monitor while having MP show video on the first monitor, but this behavior has changed.

MediaPortal Version: MediaPortal 1.2.0 Beta
    MediaPortal Skin: Default Wide with MePo added and analog clock removed
    Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate
    CPU Type: Intel Core I7 2.8GHz
    HDD: WDC SATA-2 80GB; Samsung SATA2, 750GB; Blu Ray drive: LiteOn iHES108
    Memory: 4GB DDR3
    Motherboard: Asus P7P55D PRO
    Video Card: ASUS GeForce 9600GT Silent 650MHZ 512MB 1.8GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV
    Video Card Driver: Latest
    Sound Card: IDT High Definition
    Sound Card AC3: Optical out
    Sound Card Driver: Latest
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800, PCIe
    1. TV Card Type: analog, ATSC
    1. TV Card Driver: Latest
    2. TV Card: Twinhan AD-SE200 (1028), PCIe
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    2. TV Card Driver: Latest
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec:
    MPEG2 Audio Codec:
    h.264 Video Codec:
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: FTA/Cable/OTA
    HTPC Case: Custom
    Cooling:
    Power Supply:
    Remote: Universal, URC 200
    TV: Samsung 58" 1080p Plasma HDTV (PN58B530)
    TV - HTPC Connection: DVI/HDMI

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: MP Full screen minimizes when another application is in focus on the second monit

Hi greybox

Are you able to disable the mini display plugin temporarily and post new logs? The mini display seems to be updated roughly 3 times per second, and each of those updates prints multiple lines in the logs, which makes it difficult to see what is actually happening...

mm

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Re: MP Full screen minimizes when another application is in focus on the second monit

Actually, I restored my system back to one month old state and the issue has gone. Something must have happened recently. So if you can't reproduce it on your machine, then maybe we can mark this as not reproducable until I see it again.

Should we worry about minidisplay plugin firing so often? 3 tps doesn't seem to be normal. Can I do anything about it?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Hi

Actually, I restored my system back to one month old state and the issue has gone. Something must have happened recently.
    So to clarify: you're still on MP 1.2.0b, but the problem is gone after a restore to an older state? Do you remember whether you upgraded your video card drivers, installed any plugins, or changed any settings that might have affected this (for example "keep MP always on top", which I noticed was turned off in the settings that came with your logs)?

So if you can't reproduce it on your machine, then maybe we can mark this as not reproducable until I see it again.
    I haven't got a hope of reproducing it - only one screen here. I was just trying to get cleaner logs to see if there was anything useful logged when MP minimised. ;)

Should we worry about minidisplay plugin firing so often? 3 fps doesn't seem to be normal. Can I do anything about it?
    No idea - that would be a question for the plugin developer. From my perspective it would be better if the display was updated based on events (for example, time changes or recording starts/stops etc.), but there may be a reason for doing it in the way that it is done...

mm

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Yes, I was on Beta one month ago. I remember was playing with the video drivers because I had issues with aero enabled:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...l-monitor-windows-7-aero-theme-enabled-96628/
    and Owlsroost suggested to go back to NVidia 258.96. It didn't fix the issue, so I installed the latest video drivers and continued to use W7 with aero disabled.

Thank you for your help!!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

I remember was playing with the video drivers because I had issues with aero enabled...
    Ahhh, okay. I suspect that the drivers may have changed the behaviour. Strange things can happen with multiple monitors + aero...

Thank you for your help!!
    No problem. :)
    Are you okay with me marking this thread as "no bug"?

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

I would prefer something like "unable to reproduce", because I had issues with MP only, but please go ahead and mark it anything you like. Thanks again for your help.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy

MiniDisplay plugin should be rewritten from stratch to get some thing stable and nice code wise but I lack the time :(

I got a contact from a .net dev that is appasionate to MP and he may get something done during summer...

Simone

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa

Hi

I used a dual display setup two or three years ago.
    Had the same problem then.

If I recall correctly, it was down to DX Exclusive mode that should be UNTICKED (in Codecs and Renderer; Video Renderer) when using VMR9.

I see in your system specs, that you are using Windows 7 - which means you should use EVR renderer which will make the above setting obsolete, BUT according to your mediaportal.xml in the 1st post, you used VMR9 WITH exclusive mode. So maybe it is the same as I had years ago.

<entry name="useEVRenderer">no</entry>
    <entry name="exclusivemode">yes</entry>

Just check these settings when you feel like trying again :)

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

If that was the case, would you consider that behavior to be a bug?

Hi

I used a dual display setup two or three years ago.
    Had the same problem then.

If I recall correctly, it was down to DX Exclusive mode that should be UNTICKED (in Codecs and Renderer; Video Renderer) when using VMR9.

I see in your system specs, that you are using Windows 7 - which means you should use EVR renderer which will make the above setting obsolete, BUT according to your mediaportal.xml in the 1st post, you used VMR9 WITH exclusive mode. So maybe it is the same as I had years ago.

<entry name="useEVRenderer">no</entry>
    <entry name="exclusivemode">yes</entry>

Just check these settings when you feel like trying again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom