MP picture freeze/BSOD h.264 HDTV -> SDTV (1 Viewer)

KRA

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Home Country
Norway Norway
I was a little quick on the trigger there with the solution.

because, when I changed to ffdshow audio it actually worked. Then when I tried it again the problem was back.
So I moved on to MS Audio as suggested by ronilse, and it also worked first time, but then I stopped TV, and tried again, the problem was back.

So basically it worked the first time after changing codecs, but not the second time.

The logs included are from the following scenario

1. start MP - OK
2. Start SDTV - OK
3. channelchange HDTV - Get sound, no video, a few seconds later VPU recover
4. MP is completely black - unresponsive (except sound effects)
5. Kill MP
6. Collect logs

I can also 100% reproduce the bsod, after a failed attempt like the one described above, trying to view a hdtv channel results in BSOD

KRA

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Home Country
Norway Norway
Once again I think I have found the solution, but as always need more testing to confirm. I have however tested quite a while now, changing channels, stopping/starting tv, changing channels again.

The solution: in TV Client plugin, audio config: set "prefer AC3 - sound"

Looking at the log files I provided earlier, it ain't pretty, I believe there is a bug related to audio/connecting pins etc.

KRA

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Home Country
Norway Norway
Ok, I've testet more now, but can't really confirm.

1 time I've experienced a crash (vpu recover) while changing channel, but this time unlike other times audio continued, but MP was all black and needed to shut down. Other times (before I set the AC3 option) audio would allways stop after a few seconds. So what happened this time may be unrelated.

Still think this needs to be looked at though, the error log might be interesting...

KRA

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Home Country
Norway Norway
This has been working fine for a 2 weeks now, so the issue is def related to audio/graphs, since the 'prefer AC3' "fix" the issue

KRA

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Home Country
Norway Norway
Could be, but I have updated the driver during the "debugging" and it didn't change anything. Also the fact that changing audio codec in mp would make it work the first time, but not the second time makes me thing this is somehow related to mp. Also why would windows put the blame for the bsod on the gfx driver if it was purely a sound driver issue. I'm no programmer but it seems to me some wires are getting crossed (graph) in mp!?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Could be, but I have updated the driver during the "debugging" and it didn't change anything. Also the fact that changing audio codec in mp would make it work the first time, but not the second time makes me thing this is somehow related to mp. Also why would windows put the blame for the bsod on the gfx driver if it was purely a sound driver issue. I'm no programmer but it seems to me some wires are getting crossed (graph) in mp!?

For normal software its not possible to cause BSOD. Audio driver could corrupt the kernel memory space so that the video driver is crashing, but thats pretty unlikely.

Most likely the bug is in video driver side and that get triggered somehow when the timing changes when using different audio settings. What is the exact detail in the BSOD screen?

KRA

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    This is what the event log says:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0x84e94510, 0x9102d006, 0x00000000, 0x00000002).

I believe the BSOD refers to atikmdag.sys (the same as the vpu recovers)

As I said, the "prefer ac3" fix the issue, even though ac3 audio often isn't available in the stream, so it doesn't have anything to do with AC3 audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom