MP suddenly Crashes when starting live TV on most channels and on recordings from the same channels (1 Viewer)

WoodDK

March 28, 2020
Denmark Denmark
Country flag
Graphics drivers seem to be quite unreliable. All three manufacturers (AMD, Nvidia, Intel) update their graphics drivers frequently to get the last ounce (gram?) of performance in video games. The manufacturers rarely seem to test their driver updates adequately, and so some (older) hardware or some features encounter errors where previously they worked correctly.

If you like playing the latest computer games, and have just recently purchased the latest super-duper whizz-bang graphics card, you will need to use the latest drivers to get the best performance from it. But the graphics requirements of an HTPC are quite modest (although the most-recent compression system introduced in Germany(?) a year or two ago requires support from the graphics card to avoid overloading the CPU).

So, if you don't have any problems with your graphics card, there is no reason to update the drivers when a new one is offered (either by Windows Update, AMD Update, Intel Update, Nvidia Update, or Lenovo Update).

I note that you are using Windows 10 Pro. I think that the "Pro" version does allow you to stop automatic Windows updates, but this facility is not available to users of the "Home" edition. However, you can (I think) separately stop automatic updates of device drivers, and this is available to users of the "Home" edition. (I hope I have got that right -- I do have Windows 10 on a laptop, but I don't use Windows 10 that often.)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
Yes I can stop windows updates - but that has yet to give problems - I have disabled automatic lenovo updates for now and will have no problems with it ;-)
Its and old Lenovo Thinkcentre desktop using the On borad intel 4600 graphic card så all is good for know :) thanks again for all your help :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

OP Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W [solved] MP suddenly Crashes when starting live TV on some channels and on some recordings Television (MyTV frontend and TV-Server) 1
A MP2 - V2.1 MP2 suddenly stops working while playing audio / Crash inside FreeType Older releases 14
D Tuner Suddenly Missing Channels TV-Cards 0
K sudden complication watching recorded TV Newcomers Forum 6
B Suddenly MP is unable to play anything Watch / Listen Media 6
A UK - BBC2 EPG suddenly has several programs daily with 'No information' Electronic Program Guide 57
pur_berger CineV2 suddenly shown as "Unknown" in TV Server Television (MyTV frontend and TV-Server) 4
L Service keeps crashing General 0
U [solved] MediaPortal crashing on startup General Support 10
RoChess Weird GPU crash -- possible cause: resizing media MediaPortal 1 Talk 8
torone Dritter versuch mit Mediaportal 2 Allgemeines Support- und Diskussionsforum 1
D [solved] Changed username in Win10, now TV Server config crashes on fresh install Installation, configuration support 1
ajs Trakt error when start with MP crash Trakt 1
R TV server crash with WintTV quadHD General 0
Dark Eyes TVService locks up or fails to restart on resuming from sleep, and crashes when grabbing EPG Installation, configuration support 7
atlantic [solved] MP1.24 Pre released crash in TV General Support 12
RoChess Random GPU crash leads to MePo restart, but works fine afterwards MediaPortal 1 14
R [fixed] [MP2-819] MP2 Server crashes on ATSC OTA channel scan Submit: Bug Reports 33
doskabouter 1.23.0 Crash when skipping in a dvd Bugreports 3
J [fixed] [MP2-833] 2.2.2 server crash during import Submit: Bug Reports 50
P MP2 TV Server crashes when starting - throws error remoting exception General 2
G MP Crashed during setting up recording. Newcomers Forum 1
Rob Hexenmeister DVD Skip steps causing crash General Support 2
badboyxx MP 1.22 final is crashing when jumping forward while playing DVD-Iso watch/edit Videos 26
Terra Crash when opening ACTORS list My TVSeries 3