[solved] MP suddenly Crashes when starting live TV on most channels and on recordings from the same channels (1 Viewer)

WoodDK

March 28, 2020
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Graphics drivers seem to be quite unreliable. All three manufacturers (AMD, Nvidia, Intel) update their graphics drivers frequently to get the last ounce (gram?) of performance in video games. The manufacturers rarely seem to test their driver updates adequately, and so some (older) hardware or some features encounter errors where previously they worked correctly.

If you like playing the latest computer games, and have just recently purchased the latest super-duper whizz-bang graphics card, you will need to use the latest drivers to get the best performance from it. But the graphics requirements of an HTPC are quite modest (although the most-recent compression system introduced in Germany(?) a year or two ago requires support from the graphics card to avoid overloading the CPU).

So, if you don't have any problems with your graphics card, there is no reason to update the drivers when a new one is offered (either by Windows Update, AMD Update, Intel Update, Nvidia Update, or Lenovo Update).

I note that you are using Windows 10 Pro. I think that the "Pro" version does allow you to stop automatic Windows updates, but this facility is not available to users of the "Home" edition. However, you can (I think) separately stop automatic updates of device drivers, and this is available to users of the "Home" edition. (I hope I have got that right -- I do have Windows 10 on a laptop, but I don't use Windows 10 that often.)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
Yes I can stop windows updates - but that has yet to give problems - I have disabled automatic lenovo updates for now and will have no problems with it ;-)
Its and old Lenovo Thinkcentre desktop using the On borad intel 4600 graphic card så all is good for know :) thanks again for all your help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom