MP1 Upgrade to 1.17 causes playback of recordings to stop (1 Viewer)

OTA Watcher

Portal Member
September 21, 2017
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I upgraded to MP1 1.17 and got an error when installing: "invalid file handler 32". I clicked ok and it installed anyway. Now when I playback a recording the video stops after 5 or 10 minutes but the audio continues on for a minute or so and then it locks up completely and I have to use task manager to close the program. It did this with the 1.16 upgrade too and I reverted to 1.15 which works perfectly. I will revert again, but I would like to upgrade if there is a solution to my problem. The error message may be a coincidence? I am not attaching my error logs from today because I am not sure how much personal information is in them: can you let me know what is needed and if it is safe from hackers who could use it to get at my machine directly by using the info in it?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    and got an error when installing: "invalid file handler 32".
    Known issue. Harmless.

...but I would like to upgrade if there is a solution to my problem.
    Let me put it this way: there is nothing inherent in MP 1.17 - as compared to MP 1.15 - that would cause a problem like what you're seeing. I suspect a general misconfiguration, and sheer luck that MP 1.15 "works".

I am not attaching my error logs from today...
    ...and therefore we cannot offer any meaningful help. :(

...because I am not sure how much personal information is in them...
    If this concerns you, why don't you take a look? The log files are all plain text files. You can open them yourself and see exactly what's in them.

can you let me know what is needed...
    We provide a Watchdog tool which collects what we consider to be needed so that you don't have to ask this question!

Everything that the Watchdog tool collects is needed.

...and if it is safe from hackers who could use it to get at my machine directly by using the info in it?
    I'd consider it to be very safe. In the 10 years I've been using MP in which there have been thousands of people posting on this forum, I have not seen a single report of anybody being hacked after providing log files.

Having said that, only you can be the judge. If you're concerned, I suggest you check the contents yourself.

OTA Watcher

Portal Member
    September 21, 2017
    Home Country
    here is the log file. It just happened again. It is locking up when I try to jump forward in a recorded tv show. This was in the debug mode with 1.15 which worked perfectly until I tried to update and then went back to it.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks (y)

Two significant issues to deal with:
    • You're using video mixing renderer 9 (VMR9). Unless you have very good reason to prefer it, I'd strongly recommend you switch to enhanced video renderer (EVR). Manual/wiki reference: Video Renderer - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki
    • You're trying to use the Microsoft DTV/DVD codecs to play TV/files containing Dolby Digital (AC-3) audio. That won't work. Unless you have good reason to prefer them, I'd recommend you change to LAV video decoder and LAV audio decoder. Manual/wiki reference: TV Codecs - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki
    Please fix the above first and see if it makes a difference (I expect it will).
    If the problem is still not [fully] solved or you run into new problems, please provide new log files after that with the new settings.

OTA Watcher

Portal Member
    September 21, 2017
    Home Country
    I changed those two settings and it still crashes on playback of tv recordings. I have reinstalled it as a clean install and it still has the same problems. I guess the next thing is to uninstall all of mediaportal and start over?? That's a lot of hours of work so I would like to avoid it if possible. Attached is the last set of logs.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi :)

Can you disable/remove Core CC parser ? (it's integrated in TsReader now :p )
    Also, if you can disable Minidisplay ? (you are getting error about it) (or it's missing some DLL when installing)

You can also start the installer but select to reinstall over your current installation, it will not setup as new.

Does the logs are made with watchdog (first option ?) ?
    Thanks.

OTA Watcher

Portal Member
    September 21, 2017
    Home Country
    Yes it locks up and stops playing. The log was what was created automatically upon restarting by the watchdog after I had to use task manager to end the program.
    I disabled CC core parser and that seems to have fixed it. But what do I do for subtitles now instead? I have a hearing problem so I need the subtitles always.
    The minidisplay was not enabled to begin with, but I enabled it and then disabled it, for what that is worth.
    So I just need to know what to do about the subtitles now to see if a new option will work for me.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Subtitle should works :) In fact Core CC parser is integrated into TsReader so you should don't need it now :p

Does your settings are like this ?

upload_2017-9-25_19-14-35.png

It should works, did you try ? :p

OTA Watcher

Portal Member
    September 21, 2017
    Home Country
    Also, CC Core parser is an option in mediaportal configuration -tv/radio - tv post processing. I did not use TS Reader. Would that make a difference in my ability to use it for subtitles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom