[further infos missing] MP2.2 client crashes on open (after upgrade) (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I assume that I can't revert to 2.1.1 because of the database upgrade.
    The conversion has left a backup of the original databases behind. Check out the database path of your server installation to verify if they are there. If yes. Delete the current database, rename the old one to its original name and then uninstall 2.2. Then execute the 2.1.1 setup and you should be back from where you started.

tlhackque

Portal Member
    June 3, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The conversion has left a backup of the original databases behind. Check out the database path of your server installation to verify if they are there. If yes. Delete the current database, rename the old one to its original name and then uninstall 2.2. Then execute the 2.1.1 setup and you should be back from where you started.

After stopping the server service:

C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Database contains:
    Datastore.2.1.bak
    Datastore.s3db
    Datastore.version.xml
    (old, says CompatibleVersion 2.1)
    MP2TVE_3.s3db

I assume I should delete Datastore.s3db & rename Datastore.2.1.bak to Datastore.s3db. Is this correct?

Should I delete MP2TVE_3.s3db or leave it? There is no corresponding .bak file.

Are there any other database files?

There are a lot (~37) of .xml.bak files (MediaPortal.*.Settings*.xml.bak), and a TsWriter.bak file under "ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\*".(mostly server, some client). Do I need to revert any of them?

Are there any other configuration files that I should preserve before uninstalling? It would not be good to lose paths or other settings...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I assume I should delete Datastore.s3db & rename Datastore.2.1.bak to Datastore.s3db. Is this correct?
    Yes.
    hould I delete MP2TVE_3.s3db or leave it?
    Leave it. This is the TV database, which remains untouched from version to version.

Are there any other database files?
    No.

Are there any other configuration files that I should preserve before uninstalling?
    That's a more difficult one. I don't think that you will lose anything, but I can't say for sure that you won't need to set up a few things once again. Even in this unlikely case then most of your setup info will be preserved.

tlhackque

Portal Member
    June 3, 2015
    Home Country
    After stoppping the service and backing up ProgramData\Team MediaPortal, I renamed the database and uninstalled MP 2.2.

The setup file for 2.1.1 is no longer available on GitHub, so I installed 2.1.3.

2.1.3 client opens normally. So the issue was introduced between 2.1.3 and 2.2.

Let me know when there's an update or if I need to provide additional information. In the meantime, I'll stay with 2.1.3.

Thanks for your help.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What about giving it one more try? Reverting is a quick thing as you’ve just demonstrated for yourself.

tlhackque

Portal Member
    June 3, 2015
    Home Country
    What about giving it one more try? Reverting is a quick thing as you’ve just demonstrated for yourself.

It's not that quick a thing. Took about 2 hrs the first time (Windows didn't want to copy the ProgramData files, so I had to find a 3rd party utility.)

The second time took about 45 minutes to uninstall, test, revert db & re-install.

Same failure with 2.2. Successful reversion to 2.1.3.

The logs (taken after 2nd install of 2.2) are attached. As before crash.log (in MP2-Client\Crash_13.11.2018_1423) shows an HttpListenerException - Access is denied.

It's pretty clear that there's a reproducible bug. The failure to start should produce an error window with some indication of what fails. The log should be specific about what fails. If it's something about my environment, it gives me no clue as to what operation is failing with what arguments. And of course, it shouldn't fail :)

Thanks again.

Attachments

• MediaPortal2-Logs-2018-11-13-14.24.00.zip
      22.6 MB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It's pretty clear that there's a reproducible bug.
    Yes, however, something linked to specifics of your Windows system.

The MP2 server is working as expected.

I can see a few things in the event logs:
    • A service LightScribeService is producing errors. Unless you are still using a DVD burner with LightScribe, you may want to uninstall/deactivate this element.
    • The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}and APPID
      A quick search links this error messages to a failed (well, rather not entirely succesful) Windows upgrade process where not all necessary permissions were granted. The cited item can be cured, see for example here. Even then I am concerned that there might be more trouble in your Windows.
    I also see a Symantec virus scanner being active in your system. My personal view is that the in-built Defender from Microsoft is as good as anything else. Notwithstanding can it be that the Symantec engine is interfering?

tlhackque

Portal Member
    June 3, 2015
    Home Country
    Yes, however, something linked to specifics of your Windows system.
    No doubt. However, remember that the previous version of MediaPortal is not sensitive to whatever it is.

A service LightScribeService is producing errors. Unless you are still using a DVD burner with LightScribe, you may want to uninstall/deactivate this element.

Yes, I have a LightScribe DVD burner. The errors are expected.

• The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}and APPID
      A quick search links this error messages to a failed (well, rather not entirely succesful) Windows upgrade process where not all necessary permissions were granted. The cited item can be cured, see for example here.
    The search was too quick. I looked this up previously - the errors are expected. See this official Microsoft web page. It says:

These events can be safely ignored because they do not adversely affect functionality and are by design. This is the recommend action for these events.
    • Even then I am concerned that there might be more trouble in your Windows.
    There is no evidence of this. Only MP2.2 has issues.
    I also see a Symantec virus scanner being active in your system. My personal view is that the in-built Defender from Microsoft is as good as anything else.

This is somewhat of a religious issue. Windows defender is improving. Norton's position is here. I don't have a strong opinion, but continue to use Norton for consistency with some corporate environments that require it.

Notwithstanding can it be that the Symantec engine is interfering?

As I originally noted, the Symantec ("Norton Internet Security") history does not show any action against MP. And not to repeat myself, but MP2.1.1 and 2.1.3 do not have an issue. So 2.2 is trying to do something that 2.1.x does not. The only clue, so far, is the HTTPListener exception reported by the client & logged in the crash.

I think that we would get further if the exception thrown by the HTTP Listener process reported what it is trying to do. It's reporting an "access denied" exception, but we have no idea what resource is involved. Or what operation is failing. CreateFile? Bind? Read? Write? IOCTL? Is it trying to access a privileged port? Which one? TCP? UDP? Something else? Is it binding to a specific IP address or interface? If so, which one? Is the failure even network related? Could the HttpListener have trouble with permissions on a file or process? Can someone look at the traceback to get some answers? Or do we need a better instrumented version of the client?

I remember encountering this exception in a previous version of MP where I had selected a non-standard TCP port for something in MP (to avoid a conflict with another service). At that time, I made the same suggestion...though it may have been in the server.

(But in this case, I do not make any configuration changes in the update/downgrade.)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The 2.2 version has the new HttpListener implementation for UPnP and ResourceServer. All components share the same IP port 55555 (also client and server process on same machine).
    If this port is occupied already by another process, it will cause conflicts.
    Also the installer adds an access rule to the HttpListener. If it was not successful, the port can't be opened.
    So for troubleshooting you might first check if port 55555 is free and also accessible through firewall.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Also the installer adds an access rule to the HttpListener
    It seems to use SDDL (A;;GX;;;S-1-1-0). Any reason for not just using "user=Everyone" which seems to translate to SDDL (A;;GX;;;WD)? "WD" should be the same as "S-1-1-0" as far as I understand. It would be easier to understand the code.
    However, remember that the previous version of MediaPortal is not sensitive to whatever it is.
    If you ever try again, try to run: "netsh show urlacl" from a command line and find the reservation for MediaPortal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom