MP2.2 Pre Release fails installation with not starting the MP2-service (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnarraf

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 23, 2013
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    MediaPortal 2 Version: 2.1.3

Description
    I am upgrading from 2.1.3 to 2.2 Pre release
    Setup goes all the way through to Starting Services and after a long time comes up with a Windows Box 'Service MediaPortal 2 Server Service (MP2-Server) failed to start. Check you have sufficient priviledges...
    It has a retry option but this just takes a long time and ends up where I was.
    I rebooted and then re-ran with the MP2-Setup-logging.bat file and same thing happened. Logfiles from this are 0 bytes long
    Service exists in service manager
    I attempted to start it manually and quite quickly it came back saying it started and then stopped

I found a Crash log in the log folder and the most obvious item is :
    == Exception: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Plugins'.

(crash logs attached)
    I had 2.1.3 installed on the D drive
    My C drive is a small SSD for just the OS and then I install programs on the D drive
    I now seem to have some MP2 stuff in C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal and some in
    D:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\
    There is a Plugins Dir in the D drive copy but not the C drive bits so I guess this is causing the error

I originally had MP1.20 installed on the C Drive so this may be 'confusing it'

I'm going to cancel the setup (only option). Remove the C: drive Team Media Portal Folder and try setup again
    I will update this ticket

Steps to Reproduce:
    Run MP2-Setup.exe upgarding from 2.1.3

Attachments

• Crash_23.09.2018_1744.zip
      336.3 KB
    • MP2-Setup-2.2pre-SetupLogs.zip
      2.8 MB

tnarraf

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 23, 2013
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    With the 'upgrade' I did not get the option that I can remember. The only choice was Cient and Server, Or Client or Server or there may have been a 4th option.
    Certainly do not think it looked like that wike screenshot

I have managed to get it installed and it is running

By uninstalling MP2.1.3. Removing the folder Team Media Portal on the D drive and then it has installed on the C drive
    I have a Plugins folder off MP-TV Server amd it has started OK.
    It kept all my settings from 2.1.3 (which I had exported from the TVserver on 2.1.3 before uninstalling) and I am waiting for it 're-import' my media

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Good that you were able to sort it out.

@aspik, something to look at in the future: how does the installer behave if it encounters a non-standard setup like in this case?

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    @aspik, something to look at in the future: how does the installer behave if it encounters a non-standard setup like in this case?
    There is a custom action to read the custom paths from an existing installation in order to update the files in those path(s). According to the logs, this action gets called. I can't say why the installer ends with an privilege error.

I found some more info about this error here. I suppose this point:
    • The drive that contains the folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to is accessed as a substitute drive.
    can apply here. But I'm not sure what they mean by "substitute" drive.

Personally I never tried an installation on a different drive than the default C:\, so I don't know how reliable this procedure is in case of an update.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom