[Finished] [MP2-789] Keyboard: A lot of shortcuts are missing (1 Viewer)

The Solutor

Portal Pro
August 25, 2012
Home Country
Italy Italy
Guys unless I'm missing some thing, MP2 still lacks a lot of keyboard shortcuts, even most basic ones, like + - to get channel up/down.

No offense, but I ask myself how that's possible after years of development. MP2 is now generally in good shape, but the lack of keyboard shortcuts makes very difficult to adopt it as a main driver.

Here we aren't talking of a "pet bug" or a corner case, we are talking of a very basic feature of any program which is a little more elaborated than a "hello world" popup.

Firstly there are a number of users who never touch a mouse, even on way more complex tasks (think to Opera12 or Vivaldi browsers).

Second (even more important point): keyboard shortcuts are essentials to interface MP2 with remote control/automation programs like the great Eventghost.

Third point: I'm not a coder but I believe that implementing a fair amount of keyboard shortcut should be a boring but easy task, It's not that you have to port something from DX8 to DX12 or write a Codec from scratch. A relatively small effort for a lot in return.

I really hope that the matter depicted above will be taken in account soon.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Guys unless I'm missing some thing, MP2 still lacks a lot of keyboard shortcuts, even most basic ones, like + - to get channel up/down.

No offense, but I ask myself how that's possible after years of development. MP2 is now generally in good shape, but the lack of keyboard shortcuts makes very difficult to adopt it as a main driver.

Here we aren't talking of a "pet bug" or a corner case, we are talking of a very basic feature of any program which is a little more elaborated than a "hello world" popup.

Firstly there are a number of users who never touch a mouse, even on way more complex tasks (think to Opera12 or Vivaldi browsers).

Second (even more important point): keyboard shortcuts are essentials to interface MP2 with remote control/automation programs like the great Eventghost.

Third point: I'm not a coder but I believe that implementing a fair amount of keyboard shortcut should be a boring but easy task, It's not that you have to port something from DX8 to DX12 or write a Codec from scratch. A relatively small effort for a lot in return.

I really hope that the matter depicted above will be taken in account soon.
    You could help a lot by making a list with all the shortcuts, that you are missing in each skin from your point of view.
    Adding them is partly "quite" easy, I think too many ideas are posted, that sometimes the overview is lost. I'll do my best to realize the changes according to such list.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    HHm, my remote has a channel up/down key and works flawlessly. The same functions use PgUp and PgDn on a keyboard.

They don't need to. A keyboard or a remote allows to use all functions.

The Solutor

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    HHm, my remote has a channel up/down key and works flawlessly.

What's your setup? I'm talking about Eventghost (or similar external program) given I don't mind to use my remote exclusively for MP2 (starting from Mp1)

The same functions use PgUp and PgDn on a keyboard.

Thank you very much ! that works indeed.

But where I'm supposed to get that info? The only about the shortcuts page (I'm aware of) is this:
    Keyboard shortcuts - MediaPortal 2 - MediaPortal Wiki

An undocumented feature is not a feature, is an Easter egg :)

@ge3201
    Thanks for you reply as well...

Please see the previous sentence, how I'm supposed to prepare a list of missing shortcuts if there isn't a list of working ones to start with?...

Last edited:

The Solutor

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    As you can see I linked that page before you did. I checked that page many times and those shortcuts weren't there.

Aside that to me that page seem anything but user friendly. It mixes a first section where keys are listed plainly like A or M, then shortcuts called key.something like key.yellow, which are clearly aimed at remote, then again key.pageup (ok could guess that is on the keyboard), but then key.zoommode which keyboard key is supposed to trigger it?

Pretty confusing, for me. I immagine how confusing can be for a first time user.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Pretty confusing, for me. I immagine how confusing can be for a first time user.
    Feel free to rework the page. All you need to do is to create an account in order to be able to edit and even create new Wiki pages.

The Solutor

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Surely I will try to cooperate actively in the future (possibly starting from the italian translation which is amateurish to say the best), but for that specific matter I need to 100% understand how the tings are working in MP2, before trying to help others to do the the same.

Learning comes before teaching, and learning is something I'm trying to do here.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    possibly starting from the italian translation which is amateurish to say the best
    If you want to rework the Italian translations, we can arrange to have you added as a translator to Transifex.

EDIT: I just looked at the status. Apparently nobody has touched Italina since eternities. There are 587 untranslated strings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom