MP2 Custom Filters in Movies (1 Viewer)

adamgab

Portal Member
May 22, 2009
Hello,

I would really like to be able to build a custom filter for a movies in MP2...

Ultimately what I am after is the ability to list the "recently added" movies (like moving pictures for MP1)

Cheers

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

I would really like to be able to build a custom filter for a movies in MP2...

Ultimately what I am after is the ability to list the "recently added" movies (like moving pictures for MP1)

Cheers
    This feature is missing unfortunately. Besides an "un-/watched" flag I planned to add a "recently added" flag to mediaitems. This would require exactly the filter you're talking about.
    I have asked this to devs without feedback in the past, so I gave up this plan.

There are two possibilities to see recently added media items. Enter to "LatestMedia". In BlueVision themes you find it in "others" group.
    Also the "Homescreen" shows the lastest 5 MI by category.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I planned to add a "recently added" flag to mediaitems.
    Don't think it is necessary to add an extra flag for this. There already is a "Date Added" field in the DB that can be used for estimate if a movie (or any other media) is recently added to the library. And iirr there is an option to sort media items by this field, so you at least can show the most recent added movies on top of the list...

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Don't think it is necessary to add an extra flag for this. There already is a "Date Added" field in the DB that can be used for estimate if a movie (or any other media) is recently added to the library. And iirr there is an option to sort media items by this field, so you at least can show the most recent added movies on top of the list...
    You could also filter for "un-/watched" and remove the flags for that. Aren't the flags better as additonal visual indication? :) A flag lets you directly see which MI's are lately added (of course with possibility in settings to deactivate flags). This is also done in all other HTPC softwares, so user coming over to MP2 might miss it.
    The "date added" info is available, but the comparison with the current code is not done and code is needed for that. Also it needs to be defined what means "new". there are 2 possibilities "mark the latest 5 MI" (as in Home and atestMedia) or define a time span (e.g. within 2 weeks).

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    We agree in the result, there should be a visible sign and a filter "for this new" in the GUI. Only the way to achieve this we have different opinions.

You could also filter for "un-/watched" and remove the flags for that.
    Indeed there are no watched flags in MP2 so you can not remove them. To determine if a media item is watched the playcount is used. (0 means un-watched, 1 or more means watched). So it is the same as to use "Date added". MP2 and also MP2-Edit sets the playcount to 0 if the user marks an item as un-watched.

Aren't the flags better as additonal visual indication?
    Not if you see it from a DB or Program "point of view". Indeed it is really difficult to modify a DB entry after a given time automatically. This will add a huge amount of extra DB work and for this will lower the performance. It is much better to calculate the recently added value from the "date added" field than to use an extra flag for this... For watched flags it would be easier a lot to have a separate toggle in the DB as this is time independent and has to be set by an action from the GUI (play an item or mark it manually...) But it is not necessary, so it isn't existing.

The user won't notice the difference (he gets a note "this is new" or "this is not watched") but it's much better for the program if you use "date added".

This is also done in all other HTPC softwares
    I don't believe this. I only can tell about MP1 and Kodi as I only had a closer look at their databases. Both also are using "date added" fields to calculate the "recently added" values...

Also it needs to be defined what means "new".
    This best should be configurable by the user. For special cases like the home screen it can be a fixed value (5 in BV case) but as filter it should be up to the user how long "recently" should be...

Later I will have a look if this filter is already existing and only hidden in the deeper menu structure or if it is not available. I'm not on my HTPC, so I can't have a look now. Nevertheless this should be not too hard to add...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    With flag I mean only the visual indicator representing the result
    This only is a simple calculation and should be easy to achieve. I'm not able to code in C# but in the language I know (AutoIt3) this would be a single line of code.
    Code:
    If $dateadded > $today - 15 Then $recent = "1";
    Probably a few more if you want to make it configurable as in this example "recent" means in the last two weeks...

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This only is a simple calculation and should be easy to achieve. I'm not able to code in C# but in the language I know (AutoIt3) this would be a single line of code.
    I could even program it in #C I believe :) But I have no idea about the header in #C and how things are connected.
    Would be nice beeing able to calculate this directly in xmal, with my proposed math converter it would be. Let's see.

Probably a few more if you want to make it configurable as in this example "recent" means in the last two weeks...
    Yes, I think a user should even be able to define what "recent" means. I have 2 weeks in my head, because I added often movies. A person, who adds new movies every 2 month might have a different perception about it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread