[Blog] MP2 development progress (2 Viewers)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: AW: MP-II development progress

Erm..... what makes you think that MP2 is a fork of XBMC???
    Nothing.
    But MP was forked from XMBC or not?
    Yes, but current MP1 does not even have a lot in common with current XMBC at all anymore. They only share the roots.

And while this code is old, you started a complete rewrite known as MP2 or not?
    MP2 was created from scratch. So the "MP1 started as a fork from xbmc" has nothing at all to do with MP2. Hence my confusion why you brought that up here in the MP2 thread.

Your post sounds as if MP2 would be a fork of XBMC. Which it clearly is not.
    I just want to make that clear. :)

And i thought in context to the fact the the TV Server is already written by MP Team that it doesn't need a complete rewrite.
    The rewrite is required because when TV-Server was written, a lot of things were different - and not considered in design.
    Also MP2 works completelly different than MP1. So integrating it into MP2 would allready require a big rewrite.

Since our developers are aware of quite a few design issues in TV-Server, they concluded that its better to do a clean slate and build a new engine based on the foundation offered by MP2.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Something I'd love to see in the new TV-server is a posibility to add online streams. Basically a button that says "add stream", and then one can enter for example "http://live.twit.tv/" And the TV-server pulls the stream URL from the site and adds that as another channel in the channel list.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Something I'd love to see in the new TV-server is a posibility to add online streams. Basically a button that says "add stream", and then one can enter for example "http://live.twit.tv/" And the TV-server pulls the stream URL from the site and adds that as another channel in the channel list.
    That would indeed be nice to have.

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MP-II development progress

Now that you're talking about requested features - I'll again leave a word about the extensibility of MP 2. From our point of view ("our" means - the Core team - at the moment that's only me). The development of MP 2 focuses on extensibility and clean interfaces. We don't need to plan such a button "add stream" when talking about the core system. Such menu entries or media screen features - or whereever this function will be placed - will later been brought into MP 2 by plugins.
    The new concept is to provide a small and stable core system with many possible extension points. Plugins will then be developed which provide all this functionality like streaming etc.

So the question if we should have such an "add stream" button is up to the developer of the TV UI plugin. Maybe that will be me. And currently, I don't have an idea how this part will look like; it's future work. So wait for the first alpha releases and if we don't provide such a feature, you can try to convince me/us that this feature should be there.

And even IF we don't provide each requested feature from the beginning, don't worry. It will be easy to add such functions, and this will be done if they are requested frequently. If not, it is still possible to add them by the use of special plugins or by replacing default plugins by own ones.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi, Albert

We (Albain ffdshow dev and me) have a question for you and core team :) maybe you have already answer it, so sorry to ask you again.
    Actually Albain integrate FFDshow in MP1 (for now as patch), but he would like to know how it's possible to implement in MP2 in the future or what is the future of integration (i see that you talk about plugin).
    You can see the first patch and it's not completly finish but it's closed to be perfect lol :).
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-tv-server-etc-325/integration-ffdshow-82613/

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Sebastiii.

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: MP-II development progress

Hi, Albert

We (Albain ffdshow dev and me) have a question for you and core team :) maybe you have already answer it, so sorry to ask you again.
    Actually Albain integrate FFDshow in MP1 (for now as patch), but he would like to know how it's possible to implement in MP2 in the future or what is the future of integration (i see that you talk about plugin).
    You can see the first patch and it's not completly finish but it's closed to be perfect lol :).
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-tv-server-etc-325/integration-ffdshow-82613/

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Sebastiii.

Hi Sebastiii,
    the video player engine is currently being developed and I am sadly not yet a main developer of that part. Tourettes and Scythe42 are doing the development at the moment, you can talk to them.
    When Scythe42's work goes into the MP2 trunk, I'll have a look at it and I think we will discuss extension points then.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Thank you Albert and good luck on MP2, we will ask to Scythe42 and Tourettes :)
    Again thanks to answer me :)
    Cheers,
    Seb.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Thank you Albert and good luck on MP2, we will ask to Scythe42 and Tourettes :)
    Again thanks to answer me :)

We aren't anywhere near to be able to talk about the graph building etc. side (yet). Just the raw video & audio rendering are being worked on. So, currently we aren't able to comment is it going to be possible to extend the graph building and manipulating with plugins. Also, it might be someone else than me or Scythe who will be doing the graph building etc. code (playback code itself is quite time consuming itself.)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    So, currently we aren't able to comment is it going to be possible to extend the graph building and manipulating with plugins.
    But it will be discussed.
    And if the team concludes that this is what we want in MP2, then we will place it on our internal requirements list for that area. :)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    So, currently we aren't able to comment is it going to be possible to extend the graph building and manipulating with plugins.
    But it will be discussed.
    And if the team concludes that this is what we want in MP2, then we will place it on our internal requirements list for that area. :)

Sure. It will be discussed and planned how such situation will be handled. But since it will be quite low level requirement to be able to modify the graph building with plugins it might be that

1) different video player plugin is created for ffdshow use cases
    2) graph building itself is handled as plugins
    3) parts of graph building (and handling during playback) are extensible with plugins
    4) ffdshow support is included directly into the player(s)

...options are quite endless :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom