[Blog] MP2 development progress (2 Viewers)

webs0r

Portal Member
December 17, 2008
Home Country
I'm sure its been mentioned previously but I would hope MP2 does try to "officially" support modern server OS for the server component(s).

I see the trend is moving to server 2008 & WHS (v2) for file serving as storage becomes cheaper. Currently I run a combined server+HTPC box but will split out the 2 roles once I need to go past 10 Tb (i'll want a proper server box - 20+ HD slots). I've seen many users here already use WHS1 or a server 03/08 with MP1. I guess, expect that the users that run separate client / server boxes to want to run a server OS on the server box to access server features.

Currently support is OK - community support is great & we can keep doing it that way but it would be nice if the core team were committed to having the server components (perhaps not care about the client components) work on these OS. Server 08/WHS2 both have the win7 core so hopefully it is not too much of a stretch. Then we won't have to have that "your OS is unsupported" message every time you go into the config app. :)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I'm sure its been mentioned previously but I would hope MP2 does try to "officially" support modern server OS for the server component(s).
    For clients minimun requirement will be W7.

IF we support any Server OS totally depends on MS. Readson we do not support them atm, simply is because they lack a lot of the required fixes, needed for dvb and directshow.
    A server OS is not meant to be used for direct video/media-playback after all.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MP-II development progress

simply is because they lack a lot of the required fixes, needed for dvb and directshow.
    Maybe you are able to give me some information on how to test whether all requirements for the server component are fulfilled.

Then i can give you all information about the upcoming windows home server which already supports bda.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: AW: MP-II development progress

simply is because they lack a lot of the required fixes, needed for dvb and directshow.
    Maybe you are able to give me some information on how to test whether all requirements for the server component are fulfilled.

Then i can give you all information about the upcoming windows home server which already supports bda.
    First we need MP2 in a state in which we can test "everything" on various OS'es.
    Don't we? ;)

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

i thought you already know which parts of the OS are mandatory for your plans, especially with all your knowledge about the current TV Server.

Keep in mind i'm only talking about the server part... nobody should install the frontend on a server ;)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

i thought you already know which parts of the OS are mandatory for your plans, especially with all your knowledge about the current TV Server.
    The TV-Engine in MP2 will be created from scratch. Currently the specs are beeing defined.
    So we do not know yet if MP2's TV-Engine will run into issues on Server OS'es.
    nobody should install the frontend on a server ;)
    And yet a lot try to. :)

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Ah okay, i thought you only have to rewrite the parts forked from XBMC...

If you also have to rewrite the TV Engine it's of course not possible to know all the relevant requirements. ;)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

Ah okay, i thought you only have to rewrite the parts forked from XBMC...
    Erm..... what makes you think that MP2 is a fork of XBMC???

MP2 was started by frodo from scratch, and albert refactured great ports of it when he took over the project.
    He even created UPNP support from 0 (we do not use the buged intel upnp code project many others use)

We also created our own version of WPF (called MPF) for our SkinEngine, because the microsoft version has some major drawbacks for MediaPlaback.
    MPF syntax is still 99% compatible to WPF.

If you also have to rewrite the TV Engine it's of course not possible to know all the relevant requirements. ;)
    We could use the TV-Server, but we want a clean slate there as well because TV-Server would require heavy refacturing in many areas.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Erm..... what makes you think that MP2 is a fork of XBMC???
    Nothing.
    But MP was forked from XMBC or not? And while this code is old, you started a complete rewrite known as MP2 or not?

And i thought in context to the fact the the TV Server is already written by MP Team that it doesn't need a complete rewrite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom