[Blog] MP2 development progress (1 Viewer)

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: MP-II development progress

Can't wait to see what MPII will be able to do, but with the MP1 coming close to a stable release i was wondering if the developers are planning to make the design in a way that MP1 and MPII can be installed on the same computer. (different directories etc)

That way we can use our systems to run the test versions of MPII aswell as the stable MP1 version, my girlfrend would also be very happy with that otherwise she has another year(s) where the mediacenter is changing week by week ;)

I can even imagen that you would get a popup when you press start and have both versions installed so you can select to run the stable MP1 or test version of MPII.

Thx

It won't be any problem to have both programs running. They have different directories for the main program and different directories for their settings.

Tomibeck

Portal Pro
    November 25, 2008
    I have another question. Now that we have a real good tool to install, mage and update plugins and skins from one place (mpei v2), will it become standart frome the start of mp2? I can understand that some devsare not willing to switch to the mpei v2 at this point because some installers they made on their own are quiet impressiv and i think it would be much work to switch i.e.( streamedmp installer). But for mp2 i thinkk every plugin and skin ahave to be rewritten nearly complete it would be a good startingpoint. no more seeeking for the newest plugin version or compatibility checking.

Baboonanza

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 5, 2010
    North London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is there any view on when MediaPortal II is going to production ready? I can't find any info on this anywhere, and I'd like to know before I spend lots of time developing a tool for MP1.

I appreciate it will be mainly guesswork, but just some sort of indication of when you (the developers) are aiming for release? Are we talking this year? Next year?

Baboonanza

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 5, 2010
    North London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sorry, I guess 'production ready' is completely the wrong phrase.

Thanks for the answer, that's what I was after (although I'd have prefered it if you said next week :) ).

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Eh ... Getting way off topic here, are we?
    Topic:
    MP-II development progress
    :D
    I'll clean this thread later....

Back to topic then... ;)

Two questions regarding MPII if I may:
    1. Will picture viewing be part of the MPII core system or implemented as a plugin?
    2. When is it planned to open MPII to discussion with the users (feature suggestions/brainstorming/etc.) -> reopen discussion forums

:D

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Will picture viewing be part of the MPII core system or implemented as a plugin?
    Everything is a plugin.
    But MP2 will ofc be able to brows and show pictures. ;)

When is it planned to open MPII to discussion with the users (feature suggestions/brainstorming/etc.) -> reopen discussion forums
    Public MP2 forums (re-)open when we release the first build of MP2.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I have another question. Now that we have a real good tool to install, mage and update plugins and skins from one place (mpei v2), will it become standart frome the start of mp2? I can understand that some devsare not willing to switch to the mpei v2 at this point because some installers they made on their own are quiet impressiv and i think it would be much work to switch i.e.( streamedmp installer). But for mp2 i thinkk every plugin and skin ahave to be rewritten nearly complete it would be a good startingpoint. no more seeeking for the newest plugin version or compatibility checking.
    The idea is to have the MediaPortalExtenstionsInstaller included in MP2 as well.
    But it won't be completelly the same - there will be modifications required and we (MP2) are not at this point yet.

Herr R aus B

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 22, 2007
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Not everybody can afford buying a new license just for a HTPC ;)

Men du skal jo ikke betale noget for MP :)

I mean - one really gets something with MP and all for free! Why then not paying for OS licenses? Look at the pricing of commercial media center products... and compare their functionality to that of MP, especially taking into respect the open plugin architecture which theoreticaly limits functionality to infinity... And at the time, MP II will be stable, Win7 will be old fashioned already and you'll get cheap OEM or system builder licenses :)

so - +1 for Windows 14 or whatever it will be called then, when Google has taken over Microsoft :) Maybe Windows World or something :)

Thanks for all the developing so far. I am using MP since 3 years now after having used a modded XBOX with XBMC for 3 years before - and besides some little trouble now and then I am all satisfied and amazed by it. There was not one problem that couldn't be solved sooner or later... Having worked as professional coder in my younger years I have quite an understanding of all the work that must have been put into it!

That really is worth spending some money on OS licenses :) Else: MythTV & Co and lots of fun with all the Linux configuring :)

By the way - do you plan on supporting PiP (picture in picture)?

Regars

Axel

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom