AW: MP2 Metro

we are already in contact :) and I think that we can solve the problems

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
    April 1, 2008
    OHIO
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Just an update still working very hard on MP2 Metro. I have reached out to both Albert and morpheus_xx for some help and suggestions (thanks to both of you) As always any suggestions on layouts navigation any images for tiles (straight pictures or ideas on how to have active tiles with content...) are welcome.

This is very early stages for this skin, but I believe has great potential I wish I could say I can turn around quick, but there is so much I want to do before releasing here are some thoughts and directions as well as status of the skin.

Right now the "tiles" are just buttons with an image tied directly from a source. The commnads are bound to the same commands that are found in the menu_items of the default skin. I would like to create the tiles with a list view so that items are automatically loaded instead of manually by buttons. I also want to change the buttons to have live content from the plugins that they are tied to.

Right now when you click on an image the plugin is loaded on the side of the same page I want to add another screen where the plugin gets full screen real estate. I also want to make the screen "slide" back and forth when there are more tiles rather than loading another screen similar to the home menus of Zune and the new windows 8. I also want to add cool transition effects for loading of plugins to new screens or allow for tiles to be flipped over to move some content.

I also really like the idea of having plugins pre-loaded so that you don't have to wait for content like the windows 8 previews. I know this sounds just like windows 8 preview well it is what I am basing a lot on because that is what I like but if there are any other ideas or concepts please share and I am will to take new directions.

Oh yeah by the way I did add two screenshots to the first posting to spark some ideas/creativity.....

MP2 all the way or die trying

GeoffC

Portal Member
    June 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Looks great
    Just an idea - what about having overlapping tiles, so that tiles could be grouped with the most recent selected tile on the top of its heap, but with the underlying tiles still partially visible and able to be selected.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Just an update still working very hard on MP2 Metro. I have reached out to both Albert and morpheus_xx for some help and suggestions (thanks to both of you) As always any suggestions on layouts navigation any images for tiles (straight pictures or ideas on how to have active tiles with content...) are welcome.

I would like to see such discussion taken in the public - if there is no any secrets or personal information exchanged. That way many other community people would gain the knowledge as well. We really don't have too many people who are able to skin MP2 :)

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
    April 1, 2008
    OHIO
    Home Country

I would like to see such discussion taken in the public - if there is no any secrets or personal information exchanged. That way many other community people would gain the knowledge as well. We really don't have too many people who are able to skin MP2 :)

That is fine I just thought it would be quicker to do a private message rather than waiting on Albert to browse the forums I know how busy he must be trying to get MP2 up and running. I am trying to update and put together a cheat sheet based on my learnings along the way because I know how frustrating it is to not know things just don't work. You can find the sample cheat sheet on the first page of this thread.

Thanks

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
    April 1, 2008
    OHIO
    Home Country
    Update...

I am still working on the Metro Skin. I have had a few stumbling blocks, but have worked through them with the help of morpheus_xx. I posted a new thread with notes from experience and messages for easy access please Critique and add comments. I have a few updates that I should be able to post later this week or this weekend along with updated screenshots (I think you'll like). I will also try sometime to add code to codeplex so it is open for anyone to use or help. I just wanted to add a bit more functionality before releasing.

Thanks

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
    April 1, 2008
    OHIO
    Home Country
    UPDATED SCREENSHOTS...

I just updated the screenshots on the first post to reflect progress. I will also try and post code to codeplex this weekend for everyone to view.

Please let me know what you think, what you like don't like, improvements, layout suggestions, image suggestions, navigation flow, ect...

Thanks

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
    April 1, 2008
    OHIO
    Home Country
    Added Codeplex page as promised for project details and source code.

Go To MP2 Metro and click on the downloads page to retrieve the skin source code. (Not sure how to use the actual source code yet)
    Place all the files under the folder MetroSkin in the incubator folder in your MP2 source code and rebuild.

One bug that needs looked at is I have noticed if you already have MP2 open and you change the skin to Metro theme sometimes it doesn't load (I believe this is due to the fact that the MenuModel is already loaded and when I create a new instance in metro skin it freezes) If you want just close and reopen after changing skin to metro should work Ok or you can go to the default settings at C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client\Config go to user folder under here and manually modify

Mediaportal.UI.SkinEngine.Settings.SkinSettings.xaml Change settings to reflect "Skin" <string>MetroSkin</string> and "Theme" to <string>Metro</string>

Still working on the skin actively please review the code and read the documentation from the codeplex site to get a basic understanding and goals of the skin. You can download the documentation if you click on Documentation tab then click page info to view file attachments. Also I started a thread called MP2 Cheat sheet with general details on skin/plugin developement if you get stuck.

If anyone is interested in helping with this skin please contact me through PM and we can discuss.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom