MP2 - Source code for TvEngine3? (currently only available as package) (1 Viewer)

bilkusg

Portal Member
March 12, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Are the instructions on here still valid? I've come back to this after several months of running the version I tweaked for my own use last year, and wanted to look again at the possibility of writing a patch or extension now that I have enough experience of what actually works in practice.
However, the latest MP2 source code now looks for version 3.3.0.23 of mediaportal.tvengine.core3 whereas the FEAT_TVE_Squlite branch still creates 3.0.21.2 suggesting this may not be the right branch any longer.

Any help or clarification much appreciated.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Always available, you can provided patch, based on latest master MP1 branch.

Envoyé de mon LG-H870S en utilisant Tapatalk

bilkusg

Portal Member
    March 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Sorry, I don't understand your answer. Is FEAT_TVE_Sqlite the right branch to use or not?

bilkusg

Portal Member
    March 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks @morpheus_xx .
    But when I build that, I get version 3.0.21.2. The current MP2 source asks for version 3.0.23
    So is it safe to just override the package version in nuget?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes, probably I just forgot to commit version number changes there.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've come back to this after several months of running the version I tweaked for my own use last year, and wanted to look again at the possibility of writing a patch or extension now that I have enough experience of what actually works in practice.
    Can you explain what you are planning to do? I'm curious :)

bilkusg

Portal Member
    March 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks. It's all working as far as building goes. BTW, it's probably worth warning people not to build the TVLibrary in debug mode, because
    a) It fails because the test project has a missing reference
    b) It doesn't put the dlls in the directory from which the nuget script retrieves them. This is probably something I should have known, but I didn't and it took me a while to work out why my nuget package wouldn't work with compiling MP2 against it.

Anyway, what I've done, and works for me, is modified the schedules.cs and epgdbuptdater to deal with the fact that the UK's OTA EPG is a pile of rubbish. Some programs have a title starting New: which means they aren't recorded when expected. Information about seasons and episode numbers are in different places for different programs even on the same channel etc etc.

So what I did was write a regex based preprocessor which munges the EPG before populating the database. It's a definite improvement in my situation, and I suspect would be useful for other UK users, but it's clearly not something which should be a default behaviour.

So what I'm trying to work out now is whether these changes could be turned into a plugin, even though the functions I override aren't as far as I can tell, functions for which plugin hooks exist.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    modified the schedules.cs and epgdbuptdater to deal with the fact that the UK's OTA EPG is a pile of rubbish. Some programs have a title starting New: which means they aren't recorded when expected. Information about seasons and episode numbers are in different places for different programs even on the same channel etc etc.
    Some points:

(1) Are you aware that user hurley wrote a plugin called "EPG Cleaner and Schedule Repair". It is discussed in this thread. User hurley is Australian, but I think that the Australian EPG must suffer from the same quirks as the UK EPG.

(2) The prefix "New: " that is present for some first-broadcast programmes is actually sometimes useful. For example, the new series of "The Big Bang" theory was prefixed with "New: ", whereas the numerous repeats of the older series were not. Since "TV Server" matches on title, including "New: " in the match was one way of avoiding recording the older repeats.

(3) Programme titles also suffer from variations from one week to the next, including variations in spelling, and variations in the abbreviated length of titles that are too long for the UK EPG.

(4) Series numbers and episode numbers are contained in the plain text of the programme description; they are not contained in structured fields. Have you come up with an algorithm that reliably extracts the series and episode numbers from all variations, or only for the variations that occur in the programmes that you watch? (Nothing wrong with doing the latter, but it might lessen the usefulness for other users.)

(5) The UK EPG contains within it true "series link" information. By true series link I mean the capability to schedule as a series a collection of programmes that have different titles (but which the BBC has scheduled as a series because they all deal with the same topic). The "Horizon" series seems to have devolved into using different titles for each eposide in the last year or two :(. Sadly, no one has yet written a "TV Server" enhancement or plugin that can handle this information. How about it? Do you feel like taking up the challenge?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom