MP2 TV Server (1 Viewer)

Iceman89610

Portal Pro
July 19, 2008
Ipswich
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Looking forward to a release of MP2 but just wanted to ask a question about the TV Server. Will this be built into MP2 or can you release it as a seperate plugin??

Reason for the question is that I have a machine that has nothing but trouble with the TV side of things and to be honest, I'm fed up having to rebuild it everytime it goes wrong and nothing seems to work to correct it. The strange thing is, my test machine is an identicle machine and it works perfectly.

I just think that having the TV Server as a plugin would be easier to maintain and fix if something goes wrong (not that it will with MP2 :D).

Thanks in advance.

Steven

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MP2 TV Server

I'm sad to hear that you have such problems with the MP Tv-Server, but in the early stages MP2 wouldn't have its own Tv-Server, but there is a Plugin available to use the TVE3 from MP1.
    To the TV Plans of MP2 I can't tell you much, but it is very unlikely that there will be a whole new TvServer, but there will be much improvements around the TvServer, maybe you just have sniff into git whats going on right now :)

Iceman89610

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2008
    Ipswich
    Home Country
    I'm sad to hear the the TV server isn't being rewritten. Its the one feature that makes this software the most complete for open source. Media Centre at the best of times is crap and you have to pay for the use of some addition features like MyMovies whereas MediaPortal is, in my opinion, the best free Media Centre app out there. I struggle to find another application that does exactly what I want, even XBMC is crap compared to Mepo.

I think that MP2 should be plugin based so that everything can be maintained individually. If I had any ideas on how to code, I'd try and help out but unfortunately I'm at your mercy so I can only give my opinions for what its worth.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Reason for the question is that I have a machine that has nothing but trouble with the TV side of things and to be honest, I'm fed up having to rebuild it everytime it goes wrong and nothing seems to work to correct it. The strange thing is, my test machine is an identicle machine and it works perfectly.

Hi,

If you have two identical machines, and one works perfectly but the other does not, then I would suspect a hardware problem that for some reason shows up when it is being used as a TV server.

Depends what you mean by identical of course, but if they both have the same TV cards, then maybe one is faulty so you could try swapping them over. Could be bad RAM, low voltages on PSU (I would not have thought of this, but I had a stability problem a while ago and this was the cause).

Basically, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the TV server. Mine runs 24/7 for weeks on end with no problems. If you start posting logs for specific issues, I am sure that people will help you (try the support sections rather than bug reporting, since there is no reason (yet) to think you are seeing a bug.

Best wishes,

Mark

jmbillings

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 9, 2008
    Ely
    Home Country
    My first time posting for ages.
    I'm currently using WMC on windows 7 rather than Mediaportal. Why? Simple, the TV server caused me too many problems.

I love (well, loved) Mediaportal but the TV server caused me so much hassle the WAF dropped to zero. If ever the satellite signal became weak or glitchy it would either crash the TV server or blue screen the whole machine. Yes- we can blame the poor signal, drivers, whatever, but WMC simply says "no signal" and recovers again when it returns. No fuss, no drama.

I'd love to see improvements to the TV Server to improve reliability in the future so I can try MP2 :D

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MP2 TV Server

there was already a lot of improvement ;)
    - TsWriter & TsReader improvements
    - some code changes (can't tell you all) especially to satellite

and there are still ongoing improvements :) I don't know what your last version of the TvSerice was, but 1.2.2 is very reliable^^
    you can check git to see whats going on right now...

jmbillings

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 9, 2008
    Ely
    Home Country
    Interesting - I haven't used it since an RC for version 1 I think. So if the TV Server has changed since then, maybe I should re-visit it...

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    Have been using MP with TV Server for 4 years. And yes - it was hard to resist not going to some other tv solution. But now it is different story. Would really suggest to try again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom