MP2 - V2.3 MP2 & USB Problems (3 Viewers)

MP2 Fan

Portal Member
November 20, 2020
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MP2 Version
Before you create this bug report:
  1. Make sure that your system (Windows, codecs and drivers) is up to date, matching the Requirements and you've filled in your System Specs.
  2. Have a look at our MediaPortal Wiki! Maybe the solution is already there.
  3. Have a look at our Jira (Bug and Issue Tracker)and the threads in this section, maybe your problem is already known.
  4. Search the forums for your problem, it's very likely that someone else already encountered the same problem.

Please always include log files with your Bug Report!
Check out our Wiki: Bug Reports and Log Files

==================================================================

Describe the Problem you encounter as detailed as possible! "It does not work" won't help the team to understand the problem.
Description: I have a three computer setup in my study. In order to operate these, they are connected to the same Keyboard, Mouse & Monitor via a KVM Switch.

They are all at present running Win7 x64, but I have also tried Win10 on various machines to get the most efficient infrastructure. Win7 has won.
I have also changed the KVM switch from an older D-Socket VGA version to a modern HDMI version.

Now, I am willing to try and help with MP2.3 and I just cannot (and never have) been able to run the MP2 client on these systems. Testing on other clients requires annoying the rest of the family.

So. Under MP1, it all works no matter whether Win7 or Win10. Under MP2, it doesn't.

Just now, for this post, I have done a fresh v2.2.3 install of the client only. Immediately, the mouse only moves a couple of inches, pauses, then moves another couple of inches etc. This has been the way since MP2.1

When switching to virtual keyboard mode, I get maybe two or three characters, then a pause, then another etc

Attached are the logs. I just installed it, launched it and closed it with 'Close Media Portal'.

I then had to uninstall the program from Control Panel to get the Keyboard & Mouse back to normal.

NB: The v2.2.3 Server is running on one of these three machines and works perfectly - it's just the Client interface that won't play.

Attachments

• MediaPortal2-Logs-2020-11-23-15.25.43.zip
    3.1 MB

MP2 Fan

Portal Member
November 20, 2020
Home Country
@morpheus_xx this reminds me to issues of other users and root cause was the driver of high resolution mouses. I believe it’s not an USB issue. What do you think?

Found also a thread, that might help.
[solved] - MediaPortal 2.1 GUI incredibly slow Performance

Read that, and swapped out my Logitech trackball for the cheapest spare serial mouse (connected via serial?usb ) . aS YOU SEE (CAPS IS OFF) now caps is on (caps lock led not lit).

No change. I've got to uninstall before I go potty.

---------------------------------------

So to put that in English. Mouse stuttery (as per trackball) in MP2, but OK once MP2 closed down (as per trackball).
Keyboard totally knackered after MP2 launched, and stays knackered after MP2 closed down - breaks up, CAPS lock doesn't indicate etc.

After MP2 uninstall, normality is resumed (whatever that is).

My apologies for slow response times. Due to changing (for many reasons) I have a 38T backlog of VIDEO_TS files to convert to ISO, then rip to MKVs.

Ho hum.

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Did you test MP2 with all devices attached directly to PC, without KVM switch?

Can you monitor your CPU load in task manager when the "hang" of cursor/input happens?

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Maybe also check what HID Demo shows during this issue. Maybe there are a lot HID messages.

MP2 Fan

Portal Member
    November 20, 2020
    Home Country
    Did you test MP2 with all devices attached directly to PC, without KVM switch?

Can you monitor your CPU load in task manager when the "hang" of cursor/input happens?

Hi guys,

Sorry about HID monitoring henso. Message arrived after I'd started. Plus, I've never heard of HID Demo I'm afraid.

Anyway, results, after finding a torch...

DIRECT CONNECT
    BTC USB Keyboard/Logitech FX Marble Trackman (via PS2/USB adapter)/Problems as described.
    BTC USB Keyboard/Logictech USB Trackman Wheel/Problems as described.

Logitech USB Keyboard/FX Marble/OK.
    Logitech USB Keyboar/Trackman/OK.

In each case, unplugging and replugging (is that a word?) the BTC keyboard cleared the buffer and all was well for a while. If you filled the buffer with left arrow held down, then gently hovered the mouse over a poster image, as you move it you can see the icons 'ripple' to the left trying to clear the buffer.
    With the Logitech Keyboard and any old mouse/trackball all was well.

So MP2 doesn't like my keyboard. Well it is from 1997/8 and the best keyboard I've ever had. It's hammered out a lot of code - particularly during the early 2000's.

But I thought, if that's the cause I'll have to shop around for another that can do the job.

BUT THEN

Re-connected via the KVM and all went bad again, no matter what keyboard or mouse. Had to uninstall MP2, again.

Machine is an i5-8400 hex core with 16GB of memory. During testing the max I could load the CPU was 17% by whizzing the mouse over an area of Movie posters.

MP2 Fan

Portal Member
    November 20, 2020
    Home Country
    It's a tool that shows all HID messages received by Windows from USB hardware.
    You can find it here.

Got it and installed, however it must wait until tomorrow.

As I have to reinstall and look again, what info do you want from HID test.

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    what info do you want from HID test
    Just check if there constantly being logged messages and maybe a screenshot if there is. Ideally there should only be messages logged when you use the mouse or keyboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom