MP2 - V2.3 MP2 & USB Problems (1 Viewer)

MP2 Fan

Portal Member
November 20, 2020
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just check if there constantly being logged messages and maybe a screenshot if there is. Ideally there should only be messages logged when you use the mouse or keyboard.

Just did a quick installaton of v2.3.1
Did NOT run MP2
This is notepad typing immediately after install. The bar on the last line was to add up keyboard stops every 22/23 characters.

20201125 Type Test after Install.jpg

Then there are various shots of HID Demo as requested (which crashed with Exception Errors quite often), then a screenshot of notepad after uninstalling.

20201125 HID Messages.jpg
20201125 HID Devices.jpg
20201125 HID Log 1.jpg
20201125 HID Log 2.jpg
20201125 HID Log 3.jpg
20201125 HID Logs.jpg

Confirm this is the type of data you want, then I'll have another go over the weekend with MP2 runnning.

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    This is notepad typing immediately after install
    I don’t understand exactly. Is that you typing on the keyboard? When you say MP2 is not running, do you mean the client? The server was running?
    Confirm this is the type of data you want
    Could you try to enable the 2 mice also? Then make a screenshot like the first one again.

MP2 Fan

Portal Member
    November 20, 2020
    Home Country
    I don’t understand exactly. Is that you typing on the keyboard? When you say MP2 is not running, do you mean the client? The server was running?

Could you try to enable the 2 mice also? Then make a screenshot like the first one again.

This was immediately after MP2 client was installed ONLY, not running and not connected to a server. There is an MP1 TVE server in the background, but it doesn't interfere at all until MP2 is installed. It is one of the installed components that is causing this.

I've just thought. Tomorrow, I'll delete the TVE Server and run HID so we get a 'virgin' read out. Despite the 'Devices' tab, there is only one mouse and one keyboard - and they were both in use during the 'typing test' and taking the screenshots.

MP2 Fan

Portal Member
    November 20, 2020
    Home Country
    This was immediately after MP2 client was installed ONLY, not running and not connected to a server. There is an MP1 TVE server in the background, but it doesn't interfere at all until MP2 is installed. It is one of the installed components that is causing this.

I've just thought. Tomorrow, I'll delete the TVE Server and run HID so we get a 'virgin' read out. Despite the 'Devices' tab, there is only one mouse and one keyboard - and they were both in use during the 'typing test' and taking the screenshots.

Uninstalled TVE3 (old MP1 delete everything TeamMediaPortal option) and rebooted.
    Ran HID Demo. No change when first run. Screenshots of keyboard activity doing screenshots.

HID 20201127 Devices.jpg

HID 20201127 Messages.jpg
    HID 20201127 Logs.jpg

Then I enabled Mouse #1 (bear in mine there is only ONE physical mouse and keyboard)

HID 20201127 Mouse #1 Log.jpg

Then Mouse #2

HID 20201127 Mouse #2 Log.jpg

These shots were very difficult to take and I had to use third party capture software and had to attempt each several times due to HID Demo crashing.
    It looked like the crashes were due to too much data. The error message said 'failure to open file'. Is it meant to write a log file that I could attach rather than using screenshots?

If Media Portal 2 is using the same hooks to 'read' keyboard and mouse movement then it would explain everything. The mouse was continually freezing. I was too frustrated to take too much notice of the keyboard, but after HID Demo was shut down the Caps Lock key didn't operate the LED although it functioned and the Shift key was stuck on after a while (cursor right selected all text from the current position instead of just moving from character to character).

Note that no actual TeamMediaPortal software was running at all during these tests.

Also, other than this HID Demo and MP2, I have absolutely no problem with using any of the other software (inc. VS2017 & AutoCAD 2014) that I have been using for years.

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Is it meant to write a log file that I could attach rather than using screenshots?
    Maybe it does. I don't know the tool that well.
    Also, other than this HID Demo and MP2, I have absolutely no problem with using any of the other software (inc. VS2017 & AutoCAD 2014) that I have been using for years.
    If you uninstall MP2 then HID Demo no longer crashes?

MP2 Fan

Portal Member
    November 20, 2020
    Home Country
    Maybe it does. I don't know the tool that well.

If you uninstall MP2 then HID Demo no longer crashes?

That's the point. MP2 was not even installed. So I have only two pieces of software found that corrupt my keyboard and mouse activity.
    HID Demo, when running.
    MP2 Client, even when just installed. Just installed it to check.
    MP2 Server makes no difference (no UI).

Now I have to uninstall MP2 Cllent & reboot to get my keyboard back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional info. During the uninstall of MP2 Client, there is a 'flash of black' showing that a background service is being removed. After that, keyboard returned to normal (except the Caps Lock LED).

Last edited:

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That's the point. MP2 was not even installed. So I have only two pieces of software found that corrupt my keyboard and mouse activity.
    Well, I think it's more vice versa. HID Demo is an established IT tool to capture commands, many developers use it. I think the drivers of your mouse/keyboard corrupt the software by non-conform commands. That some programs do not suffer from it, can be ...
    Have you checked, if you use latest drivers? Or maybe if you can switch between by windows offered and directly from developer offered drivers?

Last edited:

MP2 Fan

Portal Member
    November 20, 2020
    Home Country
    Well, I think it's more vice versa. HID Demo is an established IT tool to capture commands, many developers use it. I think the drivers of your mouse/keyboard corrupt the software by non-conform commands. That some programs do not suffer from it, can be ...
    Have you checked, if you use latest drivers? Or maybe if you can switch between by windows offered and directly from developer offered drivers?

We could get into that all day. I think I have been around long enough to know when my system is stable and up-to-date.

However, I think you have missed the point of the original post. The only thing that is unusual about my system, whether running DOS, Win 3.1, XP, 7, 8 or 10, is the fact that I use a KVM switch.
    If I presume that HID Demo is only meant to 'see' one of each keyboard and mouse, then my switch is causing duplication of them as far as HID Demo and MP2 are concerned.
    After all, if what you were saying about drivers were true, then nothing would work properly, not even MP1 - which, like everything else, works perfectly. Also, the drivers would be different on Win7 and Win10 machines, but they both exhibit the same problems.

Unfortunately, this is the second switch I have had. Both produce the same results, and of course as they are 'switched' by the firmware 'reading' keystrokes there are no drivers.
    That may be the root cause. If the switch firmware is interrupting and interpreting keystrokes, it may make a difference.

BTW. The screenshots were difficult to take because HID seemed to be 'swamped' by the sheer number of observed mouse actions/movements.

I'll go and grab a different mouse and keyboard and try direct connect instead of the switch, now that I have HID Demo to log the results.

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If Media Portal 2 is using the same hooks to 'read' keyboard and mouse movement then it would explain everything
    HID Demo is based on the same hooks as @Stéphane Lenclud made the "hooks" layer and HID Demo tool which is based on that layer. You should know that mouse movement creates a lot of messages, so you should avoid that as much as possible during logging.
    @aspik What do we install that could cause this? It should be something that is uninstalled again during uninstall.

MP2 Fan

Portal Member
    November 20, 2020
    Home Country
    HID Demo is based on the same hooks as @Stéphane Lenclud made the "hooks" layer and HID Demo tool which is based on that layer. You should know that mouse movement creates a lot of messages, so you should avoid that as much as possible during logging.
    @aspik What do we install that could cause this? It should be something that is uninstalled again during uninstall.

I only included them because Henso asked me to above. I presume that's why they are not enabled by default in HID Demo.
    I also presume MP2 client uses it to basically 'debounce' replicated messages.

I'm always nosey about such things and have downloaded the MP2 source to have a look. How come SharpLibHID is listed as an installed NuGet package and yet all references to it in 'InputDeviceManagement.cs' are greyed out (the Includes statements)?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ignoring the above, I have just re-installed to do the separate mouse/keyboard thing and realised that upon installation you do install AND launch MP-Client-Launcher. This includes the SharpLibHID.dll and immediately causes the keyboard problems.

Using Task Manager to kill the task puts the keyboard back to normal (except the Caps Lock).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom