MPBlue PPC client release 0.0.4 (1 Viewer)

MrSensitive

Portal Pro
May 18, 2004
Belgium
MPBlue PPC client release 0.0.5

Release 0.0.5 is here..
go to the last page for the description

how to install:
copy server/mpblue.dll to the plugins\process folder AND to the Mediaportal root folder, I still have to figure out how to avoid this..

copy the contents of client to a location on your PDA (if it is PocketPC 2002, you have to install the Compact framework also)
future versions will include a installer..

BEFORE PRESSING ANY BUTTONS: start the setup using the Settings button

IP adress: the Ip Address of your mediaportal box
port: should be left on 9000 still hardcoded in the server

for the music browser to work, the Mediaportal music database must be populated.
after selecting an artist, the client will fetch the albums of that artist selecting an album, and tha tapping an holding will launch a context sensitive menu

download it here https://www.team-mediaportal.com/files/Download/Plugins/Others/MPBluePPCclient/

more info here
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?p=100003#100003

regards
MrSensitive

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I will try this out tonight... I requested something like this awhile back... and now it's come to life.... Keep up the good work!

Flipit

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2005
    Some feedback

Skin:
    I know its only a tester, but the button sizes are a bit off. i.e. WOL an Back don't fit.

Setup:
    No problems here, connected first go

Usage:

Contols:
    All fine and dandy

TV:
    I comes back with a list of channels, :lol: if I highlight a channel I get a small sqaure box and an > ... clicking the small box brings up a blank screen. Not sure what these buttons are for to be honest :?

Music:
    Tree builds but doesn't populate.. i.e. the names don't show.After playing a bit I notice that if I click on the tree it does add the name but only for that section, I then have to click it's drop down to get that to populate and so on... with a lot of music I'd be here a while. :wink: but have to say it a dam sight better then anyhting I've managed to code, so don't take any of this personally... I'm just trying to give you some constructive feedback.. MPblue will be my most used plugin someday 8)

Now for some personal requests:

1. I use NEVO for my IR stuff and was thinking that I could work on some IR based stuff to see if that can be intergrated as well... may be you have a surround amp link me that doesn't have an rs232 on it and want to use the same remote software for everything.. anyway... I was going to have a play with System.IRDA in the compact framework.. if I can emulate some CCF type implemention would you be interested ???

2. When MPblue does hit the streets in a final release.. Killer functionality... well for me anyway would be to wake on some UDP. i.e. when my pda connects to my home network it will automaticlly launch MPblue if the HTPC is on...

3. Big buttton for everything... I've got hoves and no patients... I like to use my finger on the pda screen rather then the stylus...

Happy to keep doing the testing if you need guinea pigs

MrSensitive

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2004
    Belgium
    Re: Some feedback

Skin:
    I know its only a tester, but the button sizes are a bit off. i.e. WOL an Back don't fit.
    Yep :) very early tester , that is...

Setup:
    No problems here, connected first go
    You mean? You dind't have to tinker with it at all?? :shock:

Contols:
    All fine and dandy
    hehe, one line of code...

TV:
    I comes back with a list of channels, :lol: if I highlight a channel I get a small sqaure box and an > ... clicking the small box brings up a blank screen. Not sure what these buttons are for to be honest :?
    Scrappy will have to answer that..

Music:
    Tree builds but doesn't populate.. i.e. the names don't show.After playing a bit I notice that if I click on the tree it does add the name but only for that section, I then have to click it's drop down to get that to populate and so on... with a lot of music I'd be here a while. :wink: but have to say it a dam sight better then anyhting I've managed to code, so don't take any of this personally... I'm just trying to give you some constructive feedback.. MPblue will be my most used plugin someday 8)
    Ok, this is by design, here's why..
    to limit the time needed for loading and populating the treeview, i chose to only load the first branch.. (for now this is hardcoded to be artists, future versions will let you choos how you want to poulate your treeview)

after all artists are loaded, people will most likely look for a specific artist they want to hear, when tapping this artist, the client is fetching all albums form this artist. and populatest the slected node with childnodes.
    It should expand the node automatically. does it?

keep in mind that the application will keep running all the time, so in time your treeview will be fully populated, if the Musicdatabase changes, we can check the treeview for missing branches (at least, the possibilities are there..) and only add these branches..

Now for some personal requests:

1. I use NEVO for my IR stuff and was thinking that I could work on some IR based stuff to see if that can be intergrated as well... may be you have a surround amp link me that doesn't have an rs232 on it and want to use the same remote software for everything.. anyway... I was going to have a play with System.IRDA in the compact framework.. if I can emulate some CCF type implemention would you be interested ???
    I was thinking of adding a regula TCP-IP interface that communicates with Girder, girder has all the bells and whistles for supporting IR.
    but If you can come up with a compactFramework solution, it would be pretty easy to implement (You can get the sources of mpblue in sourceforge..)

2. When MPblue does hit the streets in a final release.. Killer functionality... well for me anyway would be to wake on some UDP. i.e. when my pda connects to my home network it will automaticlly launch MPblue if the HTPC is on...
    on PocketPC MPBlue should be running ALL the time.. just activate it from your tasklist.. it could probably also ping the HTPC once in a while, and activate itself. there are probably API calls on PocketPC for doing this..
    Noted..

3. Big buttton for everything... I've got hoves and no patients... I like to use my finger on the pda screen rather then the stylus...
    keyword here is skinning.. the application has its own skinning engine, you can make your buttons as large or small as you like.. 8)

Happy to keep doing the testing if you need guinea pigs
    Yes please.. but, bear in mind that we can't code full time on this, so development won't go very fast.. :?

thanks for your feedback!

Flipit

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2005
    Hi,

I was thinking about what you said RE Grider and had a look at their web site, turns out they have a product call NetRemote that does pretty much what I suggested from CCF pronto files

Have you every looked at the SDK for NetRemote.. would it be difficult to port the work your doing on MPBlue (not now but may be in the future)... Have a look. 8)

I too want a complete opensource PDA solution but it may be something to keep in mind. Not trying to belittle the work you guys are doing.. top stuff so far.. just ideas

BTW. the Music tree does build correctly, it's blank until you tap the screen then it builds a leg for just that artist, if you a tap the artist it builds the albulm etc... Difficult to tell which artist your searching for this way, as you have to tap every leg to identify them in the first instance... was this really intentional ?

MrSensitive

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2004
    Belgium
    Hi,

I'm totally aware of netremote..
    but the SDK is for C++, and I'm a total disaster when it comes to C++.
    I don't have a clue on how to talk to MFC classes in .NET..

there seems to be some issues with the treeview.. let me explain what it is supposed to do:
    the first time you open the music browser, something like this should appear:

-Artist1
    -Artist2
    -Artist3

when tapping an artist, the client is asking for all albums where this artist has performed on (this includes Various Artists albums)
    the treeview should atomatically expand:
    -Artist1
    -Artist2
    ----Album1
    ----Album2
    -Artist3

if this not happens, then i well need to take a closer look..

Flipit

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2005
    Hi,

I'm using a IPaq 5455 with PC2002 and .Net CF installed.

currently the music browser looks like this:

{blank}
    {blank}
    {blank}

when you tap the blank screen you get:

{blank}
    {Artist Name}
    {blank}

tapping the Artist Name give you:

{blank}
    {Artist Name}
    {Album}
    {blank}
    {blank}

Trouble is every time you change Artist it goes blank so only one is ever shown.

BTW.. I know what you mean with C++, I'm struglin' with C# most of the time. :wink: Still worth a try...

Had a look at the CVS, but my CVs client won't download them at the moment ??? I'll play some more tonight, but it looks like you guys know far more about this then I ever will... maybe I can use your work as a learning tool.

Keep up the good work... quit your job if you have to :cry:

MrSensitive

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2004
    Belgium
    Aargh,

was'nt .NET supposed to take care of hardware dependant issues??
    they promise you heaven, they give you hell.

I have no clue why the treeveiw is not populating as expected..
    I'm going to try adding som logging to the client, maybe this we we can find out what is going on..

You do have the mediaportal musicdatabse populated have you?

Trust me, my experience in C#is only from tinkering with MP and some xsamples on the internet.. I do not consider myself a guru, i just learn as i go..
    (that's why it is taking so long :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom