MSLoopback Device for Singleseat users (1 Viewer)

nicksti

Portal Pro
September 1, 2006
hello!

I added the Loopback-adapter and now the ip-address is present immediately, but I think I have some problems with my windows-firewall because when my wlan-adapter is connected I get serval problems with internet-connection and also with tv-server/client connection(my log says that the client is not allowed to connect to 192.168.2.1:31254). But, as I sayed only when the wlan-adapter is connected.

How can I solve this issue?

thank's a lot for giving me tipps!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Do not turn off windows firewall, rather make sure MediaPortal and Mediaportal TVServer under the firewall exceptions tab have access to that port 31254, select mediaportal in the list, then add port, you may need to do this for both tcp and udp.

Sometimes the firewall settings may not update till a reboot.

doogle

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Sorry if this is a silly question, but if I configure the Loopback adapter will I still be able to surf the internet?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Sorry if this is a silly question, but if I configure the Loopback adapter will I still be able to surf the internet?

If you have got a active internet connection then yes, without the adapter if that failed\turned off, then TVServer would die, this just stops this from happening and will happily work alongside another network connection :)

crazyfool

Portal Pro
    October 8, 2008
    this may sound stupid but I configured my pcs for a multiseat connection and it was working perfectly. However the wireless connection i use to connect the tvserver to the network is not always on and when it isn't the singleseat pc which is the tvserver but also the main htpc cannot connect to the tvserver. I used the msloopback device suggested here which works great for singleseat. But now my other client pcs can see the tvserver using its name but cannot stream tv. If i try and enter the ip address 192.168.2.1 then mp crashes... therefore was i wrong to install the mslopoback device or do i have another problem....

CristoST

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 9, 2009
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

I see a second solution for the Problem.
    The most problems are came from when you have not allways a network connection available. Such as WIFI and so on. Not all of these problems will be resolved in working with localhost.

One possible way is to work with loopback adaptor.
    The second one is to disable DHCPmediasense.
    With this the questions to the IP or Name will be resolved if a Network-Connection is not available.

See:
    How to disable the Media Sensing feature for TCP/IP in Windows

This is maybe the simpler solutions cause you do not have to configure the Adaptor.

With greetings

CristoST

Mike_S

Portal Pro
    December 10, 2006
    Home Country
    I am a bit confused with this. I would be obliged if someone could give me a little added help.
    The problem is that my router uses the address 192.168.2.1 and so, initially, I assumed that it was correct for the loopback adapter to have this address. I was a bit puzzled how it would work and not very surprised when I could not connect to the internet.
    I now see (or think I see) that the whole object is to form a dummy address that cannot get disconnected. So if I cannot touch 192.168.2.1 what address should I use? I did try to use 192.168.2.9 but came up with an error message (I think from the firewall) saying it was blocked. Also, when I went back in I had to recreate the server address and reinstall all the TV Server settings.
    I am a novice as far as configuring firewalls are concerned. I wonder whether anyone can tell me what address I should be using and talk me throug how to set the firewall (windows XP)?
    Thanks for your help.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Mike

You should be able to use any ip locally, so 192.168.1.1\2\3\15\16\17 should work, if the firewall throws out a exception, either allow, or config manually to allow MP and tvservice through.

You should end up with a screen like this for your firewall setting.

sshot-49.jpg

Mike_S

Portal Pro
    December 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Thanks Ray. My firewall looks very like yoursw. I thought I was missing something. I'll have another go and see if I get any further.
    Mike

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Sometimes a reboot helps, I really wish that M$ would sort out their firewall, it's pretty good, but sometimes just does not register requests to let programs through :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom