MSLoopback Device for Singleseat users (1 Viewer)

mdbarber

Portal Pro
February 19, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
can someone please do a quickish test when they have a minute and tell me if they can disable the network connections service and still get tv server to start using the loopback adapter.
found on test system this service does not affect incoming filesharing activity nor internet connections via router yet adds 10 secs to my boot time.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello,

I see a second solution for the Problem.
    The most problems are came from when you have not allways a network connection available. Such as WIFI and so on. Not all of these problems will be resolved in working with localhost.

One possible way is to work with loopback adaptor.
    The second one is to disable DHCPmediasense.
    With this the questions to the IP or Name will be resolved if a Network-Connection is not available.

See:
    How to disable the Media Sensing feature for TCP/IP in Windows

This is maybe the simpler solutions cause you do not have to configure the Adaptor.

With greetings

CristoST

Start Registry Editor.
    Locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
    Add the following registry entry to the Parameters subkey:
    Name: DisableDHCPMediaSense
    Data type: REG_DWORD (Boolean)
    Value: 1

So do you right click in the registry and click -> New -> DWORD Value ???
    Should I set the base to hexidecimal or just decimal or does it not matter???
    (I have a feeling it doesn't matter for since the value is 1, but just want to check this is correct)

Cheerz

NB: Even with above settings if network connection is disabled, i am no longer able to access tv server from MP in single seat configuration.

Grahamgo

Portal Member
    May 15, 2009
    Mexico
    Home Country
    Given a fresh Windows XP or Vista install latest SP's. Standalone PC with with only an internet adapter.

Should the TV-server + MediaPortal work on a single seat basis out of the box, or is it necessary to provide a network connection such as the MSloopback device to get things working?

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    Given a fresh Windows XP or Vista install latest SP's. Standalone PC with with only an internet adapter.

Should the TV-server + MediaPortal work on a single seat basis out of the box, or is it necessary to provide a network connection such as the MSloopback device to get things working?

no, the standard netowrking configuration that is on all xp/vista pcs will do it.

Grahamgo

Portal Member
    May 15, 2009
    Mexico
    Home Country
    Thanks for the info, I just can't get mine to work. It's frustrating. Is there anyway to monitor the network activity? In desperation I might just try MSloopback:(.

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks for the info, I just can't get mine to work. It's frustrating. Is there anyway to monitor the network activity? In desperation I might just try MSloopback:(.

no error messages?, at this stage post in support before trying any non-standard methods and give as much info as you can, like is this machine not connected to any network at all ie router/ is there a network card installed in the machine for windows to detect and add the necessary components?.

Grahamgo

Portal Member
    May 15, 2009
    Mexico
    Home Country
    Thanks, this has got past newbie stage, I will post full details today to support. I did try MSloopback, it's send/receive activity shows 77 sent packets and 0 receive packets after Tv-server ran overnight. I also installed MpTvClient V1.1.5 and like MediaPortal it wont log in either. So my gut feeling is something wrong with TV-server. Thanks!

DreamMaster

Portal Member
    June 9, 2009
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    This is aimed at Singleseat users only, particularly those that may have a Wireless connection and randomly find TVServer has stopped responding.

First you need the MSLoopback Device installed as per here Aaron Stebner's WebLog : Installing Microsoft Loopback Adapter

For the next step you will need SQL Server management studio express installed, name "sa" password "MediaPortal".
    Once opened go to the Databases and expand you should now see MpTvDb, now open that to see Tables section, what you are looking for then is the dbo.server, right click and select open table, furthest right of the dbo is hostname, change to 192.168.2.1, go to file\save all and close database, reboot.

View attachment 32233

Now you need to change TVServer\TVClient plugin settings to use the new fixed ip address, ie 192.168.2.1

View attachment 31541
    View attachment 31542

You need to select in TVServer config to change the streaming ip address at the above first screenshot to your new one, this may happen automatically after above reboot, just check.
    Do the same for the TVClient within MediaPortal config as per 2nd screenshot.

Once done you will need to stop and restart the TVService for the new settings to take place.

Now hopefully, no more errors caused by lost network connections, to prove it's working, just disconnect from your wireless connection and TV should now still work fine :)

Hi,
    in your above post you mention "Do the same for the TVClient within MediaPortal config as per 2nd screenshot.
    ". Which version of mediaportal are you using? i am using 1.0.2.0 and using a single seat installation with TVServer and i have like 10 sub menu options under Television in the tree view in MediaPortal config. i don't have an option to set the TVServer ipadress?
    If i am using TVServer am i only supposed to have 3 sub menus under Television in the tree view?

This is probably a wierd question but i am supposed o be using the TVServer but am not sure if it is or not?
    :sorry:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    You have not got the TVClient plugin installed, you are seeing the old defunct TV engine details, run the MP installer again selecting yes to everything, it should just then install the missing plugin.

DreamMaster

Portal Member
    June 9, 2009
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    I have re-installed the Mediaportal part again, not the server part and i still have 7 sub menus under Television with no place to insert TVServer IP?
    Is it a dll that i don't have?

sorry Paranoid Delusion
    i am also trying to sort this problem out in another post, here is the link to it
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-1-1-4-2-test-build-2627-a-33512/index81.html
    Thought i would tell you so that i don't have 2 post with the same issue :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom