MSLoopback Device for Singleseat users (1 Viewer)

ced007

Portal Pro
July 7, 2008
Haute-Savoie
Home Country
France France
Hello,
Sorry for the stupid question but does MSLoopback Device need to be install on the client PC or the server, or both?
Thanks

Edit: :( sorry. Just read it's for singleseat config only.

datfreak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2006
    Hi, just curious if this is still needed with 1.2 beta or is there a builtin workaround now?
    thanks

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    We seem to think it is still needed for wireless internet users with network dropouts.

Certainly does no harm, and is not resource hungry, so if you are meeting thread requirements, try it :)

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi

I've just installed this again (using Windows 7 now) and thought it might be helpful if the first post could clarify exactly what needs to be enabled from the myriad of options under the loopback adapter's Properties tab. I've just left Client for Microsoft Networks, TCP/IPv4 and the two Link-Layer options ticked and it seems to be OK like that, but I haven't tested it for long yet.

Certainly it seemed sensible to untick my Agnitum Firewall Driver and Virtualbox Driver, and File and Printer Sharing seemed unnecessary as well. I don't know if there's any benefit from QoS Packet Scheduler, but I've unticked it.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Hi, something I just only realised, when in Device manager the main window needs to be active, now go to the action button and select add legacy hardware, otherwise you only get "help" showing, funny no one has ever mentioned that previously.

Baron of L/S

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2009
    Gippsland Lakes
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Ray, Thank you for this very useful thread. I have for a very long time been trying to find out why my MePo would not record while I was on holiday and applying this fix has cured it even though my MePo is cabled to my router. I also had problems with system freezing when recording a program that runs over midnight, I have since used static IPs and this is ok now also, I believe my router (Linksys) may have been re-allocating IP addresses at midnight. I am writing this hoping it may help other users with these problems. Thanks again:)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Glad it solved your problem, there still is a great deal of difference reliability wise with the makes of routers, must be some sort of setting to reboot\reset every 24 hours, weird, i used to have a great link for a website which showed you how to set up all the different makes, but that seems to have gone offline now :( been looking for a good guide replacement without success.

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Usage Report: Windows 7 32-bit, Media Portal 1.2.3

a.
    Close properties and reboot windows.
    No reboot was needed after adding the Loopback Adapter. The device had already become available in Control Panel/Network Sharing Center. I normally would have rebooted, but my wife was using Media Portal at the time, so I just checked to see if I could continue without it.

b.
    the subnet mask will automatically be filled in
    It was not filled in. I didn't know what to use, so I just OKed. At that point, Windows complained it was missing, and filled it in. Another OK, and all was well.

Comments:

Thank you very much. I haven't tested much yet, but it surely did not make matters worse.

The original post is quite old -- I wonder if it's still applicable.

Such a single-seat network setup sounds extremely common to me. It that's true, then this procedure should be made part of the installation. If it's not true, then this posting should be made sticky.

Baron of L/S

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2009
    Gippsland Lakes
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Usage Report: Windows 7 32-bit, Media Portal 1.2.3

a.
    Close properties and reboot windows.
    No reboot was needed after adding the Loopback Adapter. The device had already become available in Control Panel/Network Sharing Center. I normally would have rebooted, but my wife was using Media Portal at the time, so I just checked to see if I could continue without it.

b.
    the subnet mask will automatically be filled in
    It was not filled in. I didn't know what to use, so I just OKed. At that point, Windows complained it was missing, and filled it in. Another OK, and all was well.

Comments:

Thank you very much. I haven't tested much yet, but it surely did not make matters worse.

The original post is quite old -- I wonder if it's still applicable.

Such a single-seat network setup sounds extremely common to me. It that's true, then this procedure should be made part of the installation. If it's not true, then this posting should be made sticky.
    This fixed half my problems with power failures and the other half was fixed by running MYSQLfix, now MP is running perfectly and I agree it should at least be mentioned in the installation Wiki

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    This whole setup, including new pictures, revisions regarding rebooting etc needs to be put in the wiki.

Sadly my time is limited atm, but will try and get this done towards the end of next month, or feel free to add this yourselves.

I have also just added a quick note on the requirements page of the wiki, regarding TV needing a constant reliable network, or if a single pc, then the msloopback adapter can be used instead.

Thanks for your input guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom