MSLoopback Device for Singleseat users (1 Viewer)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This is aimed at Singleseat users only, particularly those that may have a Wireless connection and randomly find TVServer has stopped responding, or MediaPortal cannot receive TV.

First you need the MSLoopback Device installed, for Vista\Window7 users, Start, select Computer, right click and select manage from menu, open device manager, at the top chose action, "add legacy hardware", XP users control panel add hardware, follow the pictures, selecting network adapters, chose microsoft and then MS loopback adapte.

sshot-8.jpgsshot-9.jpgsshot-10.jpgsshot-11.jpgsshot-12.jpg

So the adapter is now installed, you need to put in a ip address, so in Device manager\network chose MS loopback adapter, right click and select properties and the advanced tab, here you can enter the ip address of choice, but I recommend the value shown 192.168.2.1, as this should not interfer with any existing network.

sshot-7.jpg

Close properties and reboot windows.

To finish setting up go to Control Panel, open the Network Sharing Centre (Win7\Vista) select change adapter srttings, for XP Users its Control Panel Network Connections, now chose the MS loopback adapter and right click, select properties, you will see "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP\ipv4) select and go to properties, here use the chosen ip address, example 192.168.2.1, the subnet mask will automatically be filled in, close and you are done installing\configuring the adapter.

sshot-17.jpgsshot-18.jpgsshot-19.jpgsshot-20.jpg

Setting up TVServer and MediaPortal.

Open TVServer config as per pictures,

sshot-5.jpgsshot-3.jpg

If you right click on master address it should now give you the choice of 192.168.2.1, select and close config, you can do one of 2 things either reboot (recommended) or stop\restart TVService, this may also require stopping and restarting MySQL server which may cause issue if not done in correct order.

OK, so TVServer is now using the loopback adapter, so there should be no interference from wireless network.

Regarding MP settings for streaming, my hostname was "Rays-pc" so there was nothing to change really, it still worked, but to make sure 192.168.2.1 was being used, I did change to ip address.

sshot-13.jpg

Hopefully this is now a much more simplified set of instructions to get this working.

Above does not interfer with your wireless connection, you will still have internet access, what it does do, is stop disconnections with any network, whether wireless or not from interrupting playback in Mediaportal.

norkmeister

Portal Member
    February 11, 2009
    MS Loopback Adapter unneccesarry

I think the part where you add the loopback adapter is unneccesarry. You could just modify the address in the database table and the MediaPortal configuration to point to 127.0.0.1. You would also have to modify the firewall configuration to allow connections from this address where applicable.

the1

Portal Pro
    February 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Is changing the streaming IP in TVServer Config, alright (to 192.168.2.1)? Meaning will it still work?

norkmeister

Portal Member
    February 11, 2009
    I followed the instructions above, excpet replacing the IP address suggested with 127.0.0.1 and not adding the MS Loopback adapter and by system is workig great.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Is changing the streaming IP in TVServer Config, alright (to 192.168.2.1)? Meaning will it still work?

I have had MP working for months with this :)

Using the localhost 127.0.01 may still be affected by network dropouts, at least if you use the dedicated ip you know exactly where the streaming is being done, ie you are using the MS Loopback device.

norkmeister

Portal Member
    February 11, 2009
    Actually localhost won't be affected by any network dropouts. Try it yourself. Ping localhost about 50 times and try disconnecting/reconnecting your NIC a few times. It won't lose a single ping.

cilla

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2008
    Lüdinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I tried 127.0.0.1/localhost and using WLAN Card.
    On resume from standby the WLAN Card tried to get a IP-adress, this takes a few secounds.
    The MP crashed in this time.

By using loop back Adapter everything is working well ;)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Try watching TV and doing that :)

Have tried localhost settings, they never worked reliably after standby or when wireless dropped out, whereas the loopback device has, this may be down to the stream type, but as I'm no expert on internet protocols, who knows.

Glad to see it was not only me who had the localhost not working, thanks cilla

nicksti

Portal Pro
    September 1, 2006
    hello!

I have the same problems on a single-seat machine.
    Should the IP-Adress for the loopback-adapter be in the ip-range according to my router (In my case 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.255), or is it a second isolated network, only for Mediaportal??

Can I also use internet-connection with the loopback-Adapter?
    Should I configure a fixed IP on my router for the wireless-adapter mac-address ?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Should the IP-Adress for the loopback-adapter be in the ip-range according to my router (In my case 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.255), or is it a second isolated network, only for Mediaportal??

It should not involve your router, I certainly made no settings there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom