Multi-seat setup issue (1 Viewer)

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
June 27, 2008
Geneva, Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
I'm experimenting connecting my laptop to an existing, reliable single-seat installation ("Media PC"), so far with no success. I installed MP on the laptop and configured the setup by entering the IP address of the Media PC in MP Config > TV Setup > Hostname (in my case, 192.168.1.104). Testing this connection returns a green field and "Connection to the TV sever successful" message. I have not made any changes to the media PC.

When starting up MP on the laptop and connecting to the TV, I get a "please specify the IP address or host name" error message, so I cannot connect to the TV server. I experimented with the server name but this didn't help. One of the first times, I also got a message suggesting to check the firewall settings, so I added MP as an exception in MS security essentials on the laptop. That's it so far for experimentation - I don't have any ideas as what to try next... I have searched the site and found some older messages about editing gentle.config on the Media PC which makes me nervous. The error log is attached - started up MP, tried to launch the TV guide, and got the "please specify..." error message.

Any ideas as to how I can get the TV on the laptop working?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Please post your

C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\gentle.config

(the path may be slightly different depending on which version of Windows you are using)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Here it is. For clarity, this is from the laptop, not the Media PC.

The important bit is

<DefaultProvider name="MySQL" connectionString="Server=Gavin-Media-PC;Database=MpTvDb;User ID=root;Password=MediaPortal;charset=utf8;Connection Timeout=30;" />

Now you said you set your hostname to 192.168.1.104 but for some reason it is in gentle.config as Gavin-Media-PC. First of all, is this the correct network name for you server?

Which OS are you using?

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
    June 27, 2008
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Yep, that is the correct server name on the media PC (which has that IP address). If I enter gavin-media-pc as the host name on my laptop (in MP config), it doesn't work.

I'm running windows 7.

flintstone99

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    Try to copy the gentle .config from the single system to the laptop.
    I am not an expert, but for me this has worked
    Flintstone

gonzo90017

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Are you sure the Firewalls aren't blocking any of Mediaportal's processes?

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
    June 27, 2008
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Are you sure the Firewalls aren't blocking any of Mediaportal's processes?

On the laptop, I added MediaPortal.exe as an exception in MS Security Essentials. Are there any others I should consider?
    On the MediaPC, is there any particular access I have to give? Both PCs are on the same home network. I also that this thought - that perhaps the laptop does not have access to the right spots on the MediaPC - but I'm not sure what access is needed and how to grant these rights.

All help gratefully received.

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    Try disabling the Firewall in Windows (not Security Essentials but the Firewall itself from control panel).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom