Last edited:

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just to confirm this is windows firewall and not security essentials?

I suggest turning the firewall off completely while testing to quickly work out if it is the issue.

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
    June 27, 2008
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Try disabling the Firewall in Windows (not Security Essentials but the Firewall itself from control panel).

I've added exceptions to MS Security Essentials for all MP critical operations, disabled MS Securtiy Essentials and Windows Firewall on both PCs, but I'm still getting the same error. I have managed to watch a video via Moving Pictures on the laptop which suggests that the PC does have the right access levels on the Media PC.

Any other ideas? Can someone look at the logs to give me some more clues?

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This might be a stupid suggestion but have you checked that the IP of the TV Server has not been reassigned and that it is still what you think it is?

It sounds like the issue is probably due to the despondency between the IP address and the hostname in the gentle config.

Personally I would probably do a fresh install.

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
    June 27, 2008
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    This might be a stupid suggestion...

No such thing as a stupid suggestion, or a stupid question for that matter ;)

I checked the IP address and it is the same. For clarity, this is the wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection IPv4 address detailed on the MediaPC. I also tried the default gateway IP but this doesn't connect. I tried the public IP address, and every combination I could think of of a server name and IP/server name combination - none worked. Finally, I tried to edit the gentle.config file to specify the IP address directly but found that any edits here are immediately overwritten.

I'm running out of ideas and my only guess left is that this is something to do with access permission on the MediaPC. So, as well as turning off all the firewalls, etc., I added the MediaPortal program and data folders on the MediaPC to my shared drives on the home network. Again, no change. I'm still getting a timeout after I try to connect to the TV with the message to "please specify the IP address or the host name of the master TV service". When I enter the IPv4 address in the MP config, this does connect each time returning a "connection successful" message and a green TV Server > hostname field.

Any ideas, anyone?

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    when u installed MP to the laptop, you need to do "advanced install" and "client only"

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
    June 27, 2008
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    when u installed MP to the laptop, you need to do "advanced install" and "client only"

I had done this, but to be sure I reinstalled MP on the laptop. Nothing changed. However, it did make me realise that the MediaPC installation is as single seat (mediaportal and TV server) and not as a dedicated TV server. Could this be an issue?

did you try disabling IPV6 on your laptop?

Tries this, no change. Out of curiosity, how/why would this chnage anything?

Last edited:

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    dedicated just means no client - its just the mp tv server instead of both tv server and client
    no issue there
    i use singleseat on my setup (mp tvserver/client pc[which plays games too]) and client only on my mp pc (which is connected to my big screen)

are you using any mp tv server plugins like MPExtended?

as u said earlier.. with no firewall on both pcs... there was no tv server connection on the client only laptop... does tv work on the pc with the tv server?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Could this be an issue?
    No. Only Firewall, AV soft,... can do some harm here.

How would I do this?
    IPV6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom