[fixed] Multiple, duplicated network shares without doing anything (1 Viewer)

jimmyo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks for taking the time to do a wiki.

I started MP2 to try your guide, haven't touched MP2 in two weeks.
    This time it shows hundreds of shares, without me even changing anything.
    There is something very strange going on in MP2, I attached a picture.

Why not put an interface like the old one where you can just paste the path and everything is working directly.
    This interface is very time consuming, even if its working correctly (in MP1 I have 9 shares for the built in programs)

Hope we can solve this issue to make a better user experience before the product is launched.

MP2.jpg

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Hi jimmyo,
    Thanks for testing MP2!
    Could you please provide us with some more info on your system? In particular:
    How does your network look like (how many computers, WLAN or LAN, operating system of the computers)
    On which computer is MP2 server installed, on which one(s) MP2 client?
    What computer did you use to add the share?
    Was it a local or a global share?
    I assume you used the NetworkNeighborhoodResourceProvider?
    If so: what are your server setting for the credentials?
    Thanks,
    Michael

jimmyo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Here is the info you wanted, the problem is not accessing the shares, that works, but the problem is that MP2 displays hundreds of computers (instead of 4 computers), making it very slow and hard to configure.
    (When I first installed and configured MP2 it didn't show any computers, but when I started MP2 two weeks later it found many of the same computers without me changing anything)

Computers
    1. HTPC LAN Win7 64-bit MP2 server and client (and MP1)
    2. HTPC2 WLAN Win7 64-bit (MP1)
    3. Mediaserver LAN Win7 64-bit (all media shares)
    4. Workcomputer LAN Win7 64-bit
    HTPC computer to add the Global Share using NetworkNeighborhoodResourced in MP2
    MP2 Server Settings: Netwok credentials use credentials of interactive session on server (i have tried all three combinations).
    (I have the same login on all computers in the network)

/Jimmy

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Thanks, Jimmi!

This is really strange... Could you please open a command line window on HTPC while you are logged in as the user you entered as credentials in MP2 Server Settings, enter "net view" and post the result here?
    Reason is: The net view command uses the same way to determine, which computers are in your local network, as the MP2 server does when using the NetworkNeighborhoodRecourceProvider. When net view also gives you multiple, duplicated HTPC entries, it is not a problem with MP2, but with your network setup. If net view is correct, we have to dig deeper into MP2...

Thanks again for your help!
    Michael

jimmyo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks Michael

Here is the result logged in as the same user (Jimmy) on HTPC:

net view.jpg

Last edited:

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Ok, thanks again Jimmy!
    @morpheus_xx: do you have an idea what this could be? I would guess there is something wrong in the NetworkResourcesEnumerator class, but we don't have any logging in there... If you don't have an idea either, I would try to provide Jimmy with a special version of that dll with some extensive logging in it. But that may take some days...
    Michael

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have no idea currently, as we only call windows methods.

If you don't have an idea either, I would try to provide Jimmy with a special version of that dll with some extensive logging in it.
    This is a good idea, please do so.

Btw, does a restart of MP2-Service solves this problem?

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Hi jimmyo,
    I've compiled a special version of the Mediaportal.Utils.dll for you, which gives us some extended logging. Maybe we can spot the bug with this log.

Would you be so kind and do the following:
    1. Stop your MP2 Server Service (easiest way is via taskmanager->Services)
    2. Go to your MP2 Server install directory and rename Mediaportal.Utils.dll to Mediaportal.Utils.dll.old (to be able to restore it later)
    3. copy the Mediaportal.Utils.dll from the attached ZIP-file to your MP2 Server install directory
    4. Start your MP2 Server Service
    5. Start your MP2 Client
    6. Add a global share with the NetworkNeighborhoodResourceProvider (you don't have to actually add it, it is enough when you click continue after selecting the NetworkNeighborhoodResourceProviderand wait until you see the screen with the duplicated computers you posted above.
    7. Quit yout MP2 Client
    8. Now there should be a file named NetworkResourcesEnumerator.txt in your C:\ root directory. Please post this file here.

And of course: 9. Stop the MP2 Service, 10. delete my Mediaportal.Utils.dll, 11. rename the original one to Mediaportal.Utils.dll and 12. restart your MP2 server ;)

Thanks a lot for your Help,
    Michael

PS - Side note to developers: Sorry, this is a dirty hack, I know. But I can't access the Logger Service due to circular dependency. I'll never hack again in the MP2 code - I promise :D But besides that the output is interesting, you should give it a try...

Last edited:

jimmyo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks for taking the time to create a new dll.

I have attached the results

Jimmy

Attachments

• NetworkResourceEnumerator.txt
      177.2 KB

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Thanks a lot jimmyo!
    I'm already about to analyse your logs and trying to find the bug. Probably it would be easy to provide a 'hack', but I don't like hacks and I'm trying to find the real cause. The bug is definitely in the NetworkResourcesEnumerator, but not sure where exactly. Fact is that according to your logs it finds like 100 times a 'resource' without a name, which is marked as being a container object. Therefore we have 100 times a recursive call of the same function, which most likely is the problem here. But I'm not sure if this empty container object is expected behaviour from the windows side and we have to filter it out or whether we're calling windows with wrong parameters. I'll investigate this further and report back.
    Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom