Multiseat / Can't connect to database (1 Viewer)

grubi

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
I'm trying to setup a client ot connect to my TV-Server however I always get: "Connected to TvServer, Unable to connect to database". I'm really running out of ideas as TV-Client works flawlessly on the server itself.
I also rechecked that browser service is running on the server.
Any idea what I'm missing?
Running latest svn of MP 1.0 RC1 on server and client.
Both are XP SP2.
DB is MSSQL Express 2005.
Any suggestions what to check to track down the problem?

Thanks.
Regards,
grubi.

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Are the firewall ports(on client machine) opened up for client machine to talk with server.

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Are the firewall ports(on client machine) opened up for client machine to talk with server.

I solved that problem.

It is caused by the fact that in gentle.conf I had a connect string referring to the servername and not it's ip address although I specified an ip address in the tv-plugin connect dialog. It seems that this setting is derived from the server setting in setuptv.exe TV-Server settings. The problem also was that if you manually change that value in the gentle.conf on the client side it always gets overwritten as the client seems to poll that information from the server. If you try to change it manually on the server you also have to be careful that there can be multiple instances of gentle.conf which the server tries to keep in sync. So if you change the wrong on there your changes also get overwritten.

Of course all this should have worked from the beginning if I had setup a working name resolution, however at home I had disabled NETBIOS for good reasons.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Of course all this should have worked from the beginning if I had setup a working name resolution, however at home I had disabled NETBIOS for good reasons.

You can solve your issue adding the desired line to the HOSTS file. You get name resolution without netbios :p

Simone

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

You can solve your issue adding the desired line to the HOSTS file. You get name resolution without netbios :p

Simone

Thats another way to solve the problem.
    As far as I can say for now the only valid one.
    Without name resolution or at least an entry in the hosts file you will always get
    the "connection lost to TV-Service" error and I did not find to a way to get around it
    without name resolution (See my other post).

grubi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom