Music Trivia (1 Viewer)

John_Galt

Portal Member
October 19, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
First of all, thanks for a fun plugin, works really great here and I really appreciate all your hard work to make my mp a better place...
As always when I try something new I get some ideas and says "I wish..." so here comes a wish-list from me that I hope will give some ideas on how to improve this great plugin.

First of all, would it be possible to add a score-limit so the game ends when one player reaches lets say 100?
Add player name? Preferably with a possibility to pick from a list of old players so I don't have to type my name every time.
Before musictrivia, my girlfriend and I used to sit sometimes listening to random music on mediaportal guessing what artist and track we where listening to while we where listening to music. Would it be possible to add a gametype where there is no timelimit and where the track keeps playing even after a player has made a guess and the next song and question comes first after that track is ended. (hope I made myself clear...)
On final wish... I have my music separated in different folders on my harddisk, one filder for classical musik, one for jazz and so on and one for "modern music" with all different kind of genres. I would like to be able to pick music from that folder only or, if that is easier to implement, from a specific playlist.

jburnette

Portal Pro
August 24, 2006
Kentucky
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
THAT WAS IT! Removing that section fixed it!

OK - I have played it till I got a score of 538 (correct 130, wrong 8) but what does it take to "win" or "lose"? Does it go on forever?

I only have 23 tracks total in my music list (only as a test) and I noticed that only some songs are selected over and over again and many of the tracks are NEVER played. I was wondering if maybe the first time through if after randomizing the track list if the plugin shouldn't go through the entire randomnized list before going back through and repeating? Yes I know that when it does repeat that it selects different times along the tracks, but for a sake of more randomness I was wondering about this?

Thanks for a very nice family based plugin!

-Mike

Glad you got it working! I'm not sure what caused you to have those bad values, but as long as it's fixed. Currently, there really isn't a way to win or lose. This game is based pretty much entirely on the game that ships on iPods. I'm not sure how this game would ever have a win/lose scenario. I suppose I could add like a 3 or 5 minute timer and you could play for the most points in that amount of time. Any suggestions other than that?

As for the randomness of the songs - most of this is done by MediaPortal. The songs are never loaded into a list unless you restrict by genre. If you don't restrict by genre then the plugin uses the GetRandomSong function of the music database. What I could do is make sure that the same song is not picked again for at least 5 or 10 rounds. Personally I have not seen tracks get repeated but I have a lot more than 23 tracks in my database and never tried it with a small number. I'll add some logic to try to space out repeats and that will raise the chance of other songs getting played more.

Thanks for the feedback!

First of all, thanks for a fun plugin, works really great here and I really appreciate all your hard work to make my mp a better place...
As always when I try something new I get some ideas and says "I wish..." so here comes a wish-list from me that I hope will give some ideas on how to improve this great plugin.

First of all, would it be possible to add a score-limit so the game ends when one player reaches lets say 100?
Add player name? Preferably with a possibility to pick from a list of old players so I don't have to type my name every time.
Before musictrivia, my girlfriend and I used to sit sometimes listening to random music on mediaportal guessing what artist and track we where listening to while we where listening to music. Would it be possible to add a gametype where there is no timelimit and where the track keeps playing even after a player has made a guess and the next song and question comes first after that track is ended. (hope I made myself clear...)
On final wish... I have my music separated in different folders on my harddisk, one filder for classical musik, one for jazz and so on and one for "modern music" with all different kind of genres. I would like to be able to pick music from that folder only or, if that is easier to implement, from a specific playlist.

I really like the idea of a freeplay type mode. I'll definitely add that. I can also add an option to use songs specified in a playlist.

Psycho Reptile

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2006
    Cambridge, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    jburnette, I can't seem to get Music Trivia to work with RC3, is it just me?. I can't click on the start button.

PS: I've noticed you have the start button using id 1, perhaps it's better to use id 2 as with the rest of MP screens/plugins. Id 1 and 0 are used in the common.window xmls... Just my two pennies ;).

cedric

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2006
    Lausanne
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    For me it's work with RC3 and BlueTWoWide, but if I copy XML files of BlueTWoWide to Xface skin folder, I've got the same problem than Psycho Reptile, I can't click on START.

For the random function, I think there is a problem, I've got more than 4000 songs and often the same songs are played.

Thank you very much for the V3

-Incorrect answers no longer disappear when you select them. Choice is now blanked only so that using number keys stays consistent.

Just a XML file for Xface and it will be perfect ;)

Cédric

jburnette

Portal Pro
    August 24, 2006
    Kentucky
    Home Country
    jburnette, I can't seem to get Music Trivia to work with RC3, is it just me?. I can't click on the start button.

PS: I've noticed you have the start button using id 1, perhaps it's better to use id 2 as with the rest of MP screens/plugins. Id 1 and 0 are used in the common.window xmls... Just my two pennies ;).

I had the same problem when using Xface and wasn't sure what was causing the problem. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I'll get a new build out that fixes that.

For me it's work with RC3 and BlueTWoWide, but if I copy XML files of BlueTWoWide to Xface skin folder, I've got the same problem than Psycho Reptile, I can't click on START.

For the random function, I think there is a problem, I've got more than 4000 songs and often the same songs are played.

Thank you very much for the V3

-Incorrect answers no longer disappear when you select them. Choice is now blanked only so that using number keys stays consistent.

Just a XML file for Xface and it will be perfect ;)

Cédric

Is random not quite working when just using your entire database or when restricting by genre? If you are playing with all genres then it is using MediaPortal's random function but if you are restricting by genre then it's using my (possibly broken) randomization.

Psycho Reptile

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2006
    Cambridge, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    jburnette, I've managed to get it working ok. The important thing is that there are absolutely no other controls (including imported xmls) eith an id of 1 ;). Working fine here :).

jburnette

Portal Pro
    August 24, 2006
    Kentucky
    Home Country
    jburnette, I've managed to get it working ok. The important thing is that there are absolutely no other controls (including imported xmls) eith an id of 1 ;). Working fine here :).

As always, very impressive! If it's causing you problems I can release an update with just that control id changed. I'm really looking forward to monochrome so anything I can do to help, I will.

wb228

Portal Member
    November 8, 2007
    Hi,

I`m trying to gt this plugin to work with the Foofaraw skin, can anybody tell me what to do to fix it as I have he same problem as above and cannot click the start button.

Cheers

jburnette

Portal Pro
    August 24, 2006
    Kentucky
    Home Country
    I'll upload a new build tonight that will have a changed control id for the start button. That should solve any issues with all skins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom