Raytestrak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 12, 2008
    Honselersdijk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Iwerndly,

I started to import all my files to a WHS as I discovered that some DVD's started to degrade. But running the server constantly is a financial pain (150W) so I would like to keep the files on a HDD / server in low power standby and have them available only on request.
    My two questions:
    • Is it possible to extend the CD/DVD option to HDD files as well? (To avoid deletion during a file clean up)
    • Maybe to introduce a WakeOnLAN in case these files are accessed (with a longer time-out for playback as the server requires a bit longer to come back up)

Cheers,

WOL is not something the plugin does, just depends on your LAN I guess. It already works for me, I have a 24/7 machine which I recently upgraded to Windows7 and by default, it went to sleep but it woke when the shares were adressed by MediaPortal. What kind of machine are you running? 150W seems a lot to me. When idle, I don't think (or hope) my machine doesn't consume that much. I'm running a dual core opteron, which revs down to 900 mhz & low voltage in idle mode, hd's spin down etc ...

craige1

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Alice Springs
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    @ yhoogi, just turn file deletion off
    I have a simmilar setup except with 3 computers holding my anime. The problem is that if you get wakeonlan to happen on access of a file on the network, you'll have to wait for the computer to wake up and be fully booted before it can be used. That creates massive delay in the time it takes to play the file. Its more reliable to have the computer shutdown and wake up at times when you think you will use it. Set up a schedualed task to shutdown the computer when you want, and setup the bios to start the computer when you want.

I also have some scripts here that send magic packets(wakeonlan) to the computers and remote shutdown commands, i just have a little menu on the task bar with the options. I use them when i need the computers on or off, outside the times i set for them to be on. If you want them, there yours.
    attachment.php

Attachments

• power.JPG
      power.JPG
      6.6 KB

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the advices, but mostly already implemented:

The whole system is an AMD Proc (45W) a 780G Board with 4GB (~20W), FloppyDTV (~15W) and 10(!) HDDs (~75W) + efficiency losses of the PCU
    What is consuming the most are the continously running HDDs as WHS is constantly accessing and shuffling files (typical MS Server behaviour) which can not be controlled.

The WHS runs with LightsOut and wakes up when a client is present, combined with a scheduling for the MP TV Server. Usually it is on Standby when no client is present (7W) but requires still ~1min to be fully operational.

Shifting older files to an additional server/NAS would mean additional power for the basic system operations. So this makes only sense if I can get it alive if I start running a file from thisdevice -> WOL required before file access and therefore somehow to be initiated by the plugin.

Cheers,

Raytestrak:
    I was also amazed about the power consumption, but made sense when checking the individual specs and verified via power measuring of the whole system. How did you included the files on your server: via drive letter or via UNC? Because my Vista is not accessing drives which are not available during boot up (I attached them via drive letter to have the opportunity to relocate them w/o rebuild)

Iwerndly:
    Is there a possibility to easily change the drive-Letter to a UNC w/o rebuilding the DB? It would cost me now several days just to rebuild the DB

craige1

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Alice Springs
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I dont use whs but windows server 2003 so i dont know the specifics but can you get it to turn of hard drives after a while, it stops the defragging and indexing on my server.

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Unfortunately not. WHS is based on Server 2003 but uses different file management services for this file duplication and distribtion feature.

Turning it off would mess up the system as it is periodically (means every 5min) checking HDD's

Cheers,

Raytestrak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 12, 2008
    Honselersdijk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @Raytestrak:
    I was also amazed about the power consumption, but made sense when checking the individual specs and verified via power measuring of the whole system. How did you included the files on your server: via drive letter or via UNC? Because my Vista is not accessing drives which are not available during boot up (I attached them via drive letter to have the opportunity to relocate them w/o rebuild)

Iwerndly:
    Is there a possibility to easily change the drive-Letter to a UNC w/o rebuilding the DB? It would cost me now several days just to rebuild the DB

All my plugins look for files in UNC shares. I'll go buy a power consumption monitor device then ... wondering what my machine consumes. I have a drobo connected to my 'server' which is also up 24/7. (7 disks total, drobo + server)

regarding you DB rebuild: since the files are already hashed, it would only have to remap your files to unc conventions. I already asked leo this when I did an disk change in my server, so it should be done quite quickly.

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Raytestrak:

Drobo?

You have a link to your question? I couldn't found it.

Cheers & Thanks,

Raytestrak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 12, 2008
    Honselersdijk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Raytestrak:

Drobo?

Cheers & Thanks,

Here's the link about rehashing:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-plugins-47/my-anime-2-a-60793/index23.html#post482972

It's not specifically about switching from non-unc to unc, but the principle is the same. Same file, new link to it in the database:

Drobo:
    Data Robotics, Inc.

It's a removable USB device, which does all forms of RAID. It's not superfast, but fast enough to stream 1080p content over my network. Bought it after my nvraid (0) split in two and I lost all my series.

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Raytestrak:

Drobo?

Cheers & Thanks,

Here's the link about rehashing:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-plugins-47/my-anime-2-a-60793/index23.html#post482972

It's not specifically about switching from non-unc to unc, but the principle is the same. Same file, new link to it in the database:

Drobo:
    Data Robotics, Inc.

It's a removable USB device, which does all forms of RAID. It's not superfast, but fast enough to stream 1080p content over my network. Bought it after my nvraid (0) split in two and I lost all my series.

Ah, thats why I use WHS; files are mirrored over availabled HDDs. - And in case of a failure of a HDD or WHS you can still retrieve your files. Maybe takes a while but still possible.

Thanks & will check the link.

Btw. the wakeupon network request is not something I experiened so far with XP. Is this a new feature?

Cheers,

craige1

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Alice Springs
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    xp has wakeon network
    Goto control panel->network connections, right click on your network card and select properties. Click the configure button, then select the "power management" tab, turn on "allow this device to bring computer out of standby". Problem with this, with all os as i understand, anytype of traffic it receives will wake it up. It can be very random.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom