My Anime 3 (2 Viewers)

KwizatZ

Portal Member
August 14, 2010
Home Country
France France
Hello lwerndly, I will explain here how FFDShow Raw post-processing is working in general, as it can help some other users too.
(Sorry for my english in advance)

Firstly, you have to understand that FFDShow Raw is not the FFDShow Video decoder, but it is the post-processing part from FFDShow, so you can use any video decoder you want.

Here is the simple graph how your video is rendering:
File Splitter -> Video decoder -> Post-processing (here FFDShow Raw) -> Windows Renderer
-> Audio decoder ->

In GraphStudio:
12_GraphStudio.jpg

/!\ Please be aware to make your post-processing presets in FFDShow Raw and not FFDShow (Video decoder) as it's not the same thing, even if the configuration screen is very similar.

To easily test the post-processing in MediaPortal, you have to:
- Start MP in windowed mode, so you will easily see what happens:
01_StartMPInWindow.jpg

- Enable FFDShow Raw post-processing in MediaPortal:
02_EnableFFDShowRawInMP.jpg

Once you have added and checked FFDShow Raw post-processing, just click on Filter properties button in the same screen.

Then you will see the FFDShow Raw settings screen, in the preset tab just add some of your presets or load my presets if you want:
(ffdshowPresets.rar at the end of my post)

You can see for example the TestBlackAndWhitePreset I made :
03_FFDShowRawTestBWPreset.jpg

and go on the Picture properties tab to see that I've just set the saturation to 0:
04_FFDShowRawTestBWPresetSettings.jpg

Now close and save MediaPortal settings and start MP.
Launch a video (for example an anime in MA2) then check on your windows taskbar the mini icons that has been loaded:
05_TestVideo.jpg
In my example you see 2 FFDShow icons, one for FFDShow Raw and one for FFDShow Video decoder (as I personally use FFDShow as Video decoder):
One more time:
/!\ Please be aware to make your post-processing presets in FFDShow Raw and not FFDShow (Video decoder) as it's not the same thing, even if the configuration screen is very similar.

So, just click on the FFDShow Raw icon that you see in my screen to open it's properties, go in presets tab, select TestBlackAndWhite and click apply:
06_TestVideoWithBWPreset.jpg

You can now see that your video is now playing in black and white, which has been a picture post processing.

So what have I coded in MyAnime2 ?
I just check on windows registry which presets has been set for FFDShow Raw and I propose to link and anime episode (or anime series, which is just multiple episodes) to a preset.

To test it, just go on MyAnime2 config screen in Advanced Options tab, check the 3 checkboxes as in screen:
00_MyAnime2Config.jpg

Then save the config and launch MediaPortal with MyAnime2. Go on a episode, launch the menu and go on POST-PROCESSING>>>:
07_FFDShowRawPresetInMA2.jpg

Select for example TESTBLACKANDWHITE preset :
08_FFDShowRawPresetInMA2_2.jpg

Then launch your episode and you will see a notification after 5s telling you that TESTBLACKANDWHITE preset has been set, and your video will go in black and white:
09_FFDShowRawPresetInMA2_3.jpg
(please note that the 5s wait is for FFDShow Raw to have time to load, that's why I've coded it asynch in MA2)

If you don't want the preset to load for this episode anymore, just go on it, launch the menu, go to POST-PROCESSING>>> and choose REMOVE OLD PRESET ASSOCIATION:
10_FFDShowRawPresetInMA2_4.jpg

You can of course set a preset for a complete series going on it and just setting the preset for it:
11_FFDShowRawPresetInMA2_5.jpg

If you want to use the presets I've linked on this post, I personally use for old files (ie not AVC/H264) like XVid DivX:
- deband to remove the ugly banding often caused by these old codecs
- more saturation as these old codecs often wash the colors
- add sharpen or blur if needed

The presets I've made are like this:
- Saturation70Deband : saturation up to 70 + deband
- Saturation70DebandSharpen : saturation up to 70 + deband + sharpen edge
- Saturation80 : saturation up to 80
- Saturation80Deband : saturation up to 80 + deband (this is the one I use most often for washed colored anime files, ie old Xvid and DivX)
- Saturation80DebandSharpen : saturation up to 80 + deband + sharpen edge
- Saturation80DebandBlur : saturation up to 80 + deband + blur edge

Attachments

• ffdshowPresets.rar
    28.5 KB
Last edited:

darkside40

Portal Pro
August 17, 2009
Ruhrgebiet
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi there,
i must admit that i didn't had the chance till now to try the new MA3, because i dont had the time.

But before i make the switch i am interested how well it works to share the database between my HTPC's, Desktops etc. Till now my MA2 Database was located on my Fritzbox Router so both HTPC's where able to access it.

From what i now know MA3 follows a client/server model and seems to work with SQLite and MySQL.
So what we now have are the Clients (MA3/JMMDesktop) and JMM Server which connects the Clients to the database backend.

So how does it work know? Do i have to have one PC always running with the JMMServer so my clients can connect? Or can i choose where to store the database so that every PC with the JMMServer can access the DB?

How is this handled in MA3?

KwizatZ

Portal Member
August 14, 2010
Home Country
France France
Last edited:

zoom

Portal Member
March 9, 2011
Home Country
Slovakia Slovakia
3) One more bug I found: When I connect with JMM Desktop to JMM Server, then go to Collection tab and double click on All filter on the left or try to search for something in the search bar at the top, JMM Desktop crashes.

3. Can you take a look at the Windows Event Viewer (Application log). It will probably have more info about what is happening.
Hello, I am attaching two entries from the Application Event Log concerning the crash. I am not a programmer, so I can't really debug this, but from what I've been able to find with Event IDs and Exception codes, this is supposed to be something in the application and can't be fixed on my end. But, of course, I may be wrong.

I have the newest .NET Frameworks installed (except .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1), I even installed today's patches from Microsoft. No change.

As a test, I ran JMM Desktop on my HTPC (that is where JMM Server is running) and there is no crash - I can now see the catalog in its full glory. Very impressed.
I can now check those MAL links and can confirm that none of my series have MAL link assigned. When I added MAL link to Azumanga Daioh (for example), it was recognized, the Watched status downloaded correctly and synced to AniDB's MyList with no problems.

Should you need more logs/files or further tests, just let me know.

Attachments

• AppEvents.zip
    2.9 KB

lwerndly

Portal Pro
January 14, 2008
Home Country
Australia Australia
But before i make the switch i am interested how well it works to share the database between my HTPC's, Desktops etc. Till now my MA2 Database was located on my Fritzbox Router so both HTPC's where able to access it.

From what i now know MA3 follows a client/server model and seems to work with SQLite and MySQL.
So what we now have are the Clients (MA3/JMMDesktop) and JMM Server which connects the Clients to the database backend.

So how does it work know? Do i have to have one PC always running with the JMMServer so my clients can connect? Or can i choose where to store the database so that every PC with the JMMServer can access the DB?

Yeah it is client/server now, and JMM server must be running for any of your clients to work.
JMM Server connects to the database, and also does all the hashing, on-line lookups and API calls.

The clients never directly access the database.
You can choose sqlite, mysql or mssql. Sqlite is not recommended for multi client set-ups.

I've just found a bug which looks like the one I've fixed in MA2:
http://code.google.com/p/animeplugin2/issues/detail?id=276&can=1&sort=-owner
you have to set the "en-GB" CultureInfo as in this source code:
http://code.google.com/p/animeplugin2/source/browse/trunk/AniDBAPI/AniDBHTTPHelper.cs

Thanks for all the info on ffdshow, I will take a look at this week most likely.
Will also look at the bugs you mentioned here and on the issue tracker

Hello, I am attaching two entries from the Application Event Log concerning the crash. I am not a programmer, so I can't really debug this, but from what I've been able to find with Event IDs and Exception codes, this is supposed to be something in the application and can't be fixed on my end. But, of course, I may be wrong.

I have had a similar issue before during early stages of testing and usually it was related to security and the manifests.
Are you running JMM Desktop in administrator mode on the PC that crashes.
Is there any other difference in how you have set up your HTPC

darkside40

Portal Pro
August 17, 2009
Ruhrgebiet
Home Country
Germany Germany
Okay, understood.
So is it possible to choose the location of the MySQL DB that i want to use? So i could store that on my Fritzbox with installed MySQL.

Can imagine that SQLite is not the right solution for Multiseat. Also from my experience SQLite is quite slow.

lwerndly

Portal Pro
January 14, 2008
Home Country
Australia Australia
So is it possible to choose the location of the MySQL DB that i want to use? So i could store that on my Fritzbox with installed MySQL.

Can imagine that SQLite is not the right solution for Multiseat. Also from my experience SQLite is quite slow.

Yup you can use existing MySQL or MSSQL instances.
Sqlite is very slow compared to MYSQL/MSSQL

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Maybe you could add a small donate button on the blog or programs so people could support your projects?

Considering the quality and amount of effort that was put into this I'm pretty sure some will donate (I would at least), the Paypal donate button is easy to set up as well:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_donate-intro-outside

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom