Completed My ASUS Pundit-R HTPC (1 Viewer)

M

miknord

I bought the ASUS Pundit-R to use as my HTPC, but found it to be way too loud!

That's why I'd like to share my progress in modding the case. A step by step instruction can be found at:

www.ikanos.se/pundit/modding.html

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Nice Job!
I too have a Pundit-R, with Celeron D 2.6G, Seagate medalist 160G, & Nebula Digitv PCI (which needed a case mod to install). The processor fan is the only one that is obtrusive to me, & you have now spurred me on to do something about it.
Do you run your pundit flat? Mine sits on its plastic 'foot' and doesn't seem to get too warm, but most folk complaining about Pundit-r noise seem have P4 prescot 3+G processors that run very hot. The case is just too small for that fast a processor.

Steve :D

ordinary73

Portal Member
October 9, 2004
Berlin, Germany
Steve 2710 said:
Do you run your pundit flat? Mine sits on its plastic 'foot' and doesn't seem to get too warm, but most folk complaining about Pundit-r noise seem have P4 prescot 3+G processors that run very hot. The case is just too small for that fast a processor.

I'm running a Pundit (first model) with P4 2.4G and first while setup and installing process I used it standing on it's feet and now it's laying and becomes hot, too. To put something under the case, just to lift it and not let it lay direct on a surface, helps a little.

It's way too loud, too. I hope changing the Fans will be enough.

M

miknord

I run my Pundit laying flat. Mainly because I've reversed the CPU fan, and
keeping it flat helps the hot air to exit the case through the grill right above the fan.

Poussun

Portal Member
November 29, 2004
Luxembourg
Hmmm If I revearsed the CPU fan on my Pundit-R, the CPU temp is totally different : +10 degrees in quiet usage

Normal FAN : 40 degrees
Modified FAN : 51 degrees

Any clues ?

A

Anonymous

Hi

You dont need clues ;) cause thats the wrong way to to it.

I dont beleive in Miknord (sorry)... thats fisics that explains the best way to cool something... and pulling air is not the solution... air passing by is the rigth solution, cause it takes heat in a flow way...
Cooling has nothing to do with the speed of the air passing by but the amount of it!

Air conditioner is not made of removing hot air but blowing fresh air into hot spot.

You may also find some articles about fisics and air colling in the internet.

Goahead

Poussun

Portal Member
November 29, 2004
Luxembourg
Yes It was exactly what I mean :)
But I like testing...

In the other way, I've made an opening on the side of the pundit-r like on the webpage). And it seems really cooler : -5 or 6 degrees on the cpu... : 34 degrees

M

miknord

Goahead:

The reason I use a pull solution is because I want the hot air to exit my case as fast as possible. My harddrive was melting in there using the original configuration! (> 50 degrees)
I hope you agree that preserving your disks and data is important.

In addition, the CPU is not cooled as well as the original configuration, and it's no surprise at all, it is now cooled by 10 degrees hotter air! It's not too varm though, and can easily handle the higher temps.

Poussun:
I beleive your case temp and HD temp went down (mine did),
and that's more important than keeping the CPU temp < 50 degrees.
The CPU can handle 60-70 degrees without problems, but your harddrive can't.
And PSUs works a lot better having cooler air in the case, meaning it doesn't have to spin up or you can reduce the voltage on that fan too if you wish.

/Mikael

A

Anonymous

Hi Miknord

You quit right in the terms of disk temp/case/memorie etc etc...

A good solution is to put one more fan extrating the air from the case (not the CPU fan)... but the case as no room for that. :(

Whats the air flow of the PowerFan? is it extrating air trough the power module or sucking air from outside?
That should help a bit lowering the temp inside the case.

A great solution shloud be puting the pc inside a fridge next to the beers 8) ... noise free and super cooled PC!!!

You didnt have any issue with the tv card?

Regards
Goahead

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom