my dvd's/video files skip (1 Viewer)

leesayer

Portal Member
January 8, 2007
i would love this sorting as i mainly use mp for dvd playback of the hd, ive tried loads of other htpc programs and mp is by far the best if only we could fix this problem.

DalaNorth

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2006
    Skellefteå, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Looking at MediaPortal.log, this is what I find strange:

2007-01-20 22:26:31.203125 [Info.][MPMain]: EVT:DvdChaptStart:11
    2007-01-20 22:31:14.375000 [Info.][MPMain]: EVT:DvdChaptStart:12
    2007-01-20 22:36:24.484375 [Info.][MPMain]: DVDPlayer:confused:eek to 0:52:21
    2007-01-20 22:36:24.484375 [Info.][MPMain]: DVDPlayer:confused:eek to 0:52:21 done
    2007-01-20 22:36:24.531250 [Info.][MPMain]: EVT:DvdChaptStart:10

Is this the point where the movie skipped from chapter 12 to 10 without you doing anything?

Geron

January 1, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    :mad:
    Sorry if I borrow this thread. But I'm experiencing something very similar. When watching DivX / XviD or DVD via MediaPortal, the video playback sometimes slow down (even to a halt). The sound continues as normal. Then after 1-2 seconds the video goes into hyperspeed and finaly catch up with the sound. The frequency of the phenomena increases with time. So after about 1h, it starts to get realy annoying.. And it seems to be related to MP. Beacuse watching the same files in WMP or WMP Classic doesnt display this video lag.

(And I have similar HW specs, and I've tried using both the codecs that come with MP and the nVidia-codecs)...

DalaNorth

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2006
    Skellefteå, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I agree. That "Seek to 0:52:21" seems totally uncalled for, but I can't figure out why it occurs.

I took another look at the log and there are a few unusual things happening in there. Looks like you stopped playing after 10 chapters, restarted the DVD and used the chapter selection menu to select to begin playing at chapter 10 again. I also noticed the PowerScheduler preparing to shut down your system.

Does the problem only occur when you do stuff like this? Or put another way: If you disable the powerscheduler and watch a movie from beginning to end without stopping it, do you still get these symptoms?

Regards
    DalaNorth

leesayer

Portal Member
    January 8, 2007
    dos'nt matter what i do it skips every time i watch a dvd or a dvd ripped to the hd.
    i have mp on a few computers in the house and it occurs on them all. 3 are running xp home and 1 xp pro. i will wait for it to happen again and post the log.

DalaNorth

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2006
    Skellefteå, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Okay, but before you do, grab the latest SVN (12820) and install it. I have added some debug logging that may help us track down the reason for this issue. Again, make sure your log level is set to debug.

Link to SVN builds

leesayer

Portal Member
    January 8, 2007
    my problem just got worse as my dvd no longer skips and just freezes, when this happens i have to switch off computer manually. below are some reports. every think else works fine exept for dvd playback.

hope you can have a look and let me know your conclusions.

lee

crawdaddy

Portal Pro
    July 24, 2006
    I am having a very similar problem also. I'm running the latest stable version, but it has been doing this with SVNs and the previous future update version of MP. All forms of audio and video, excluding recorded and live TV will skip for about a second or so at random intervals. It is like it just seems to miss a second of audio/video and moves to the next secod "cleanly", but to the viewer it's a very noticable, albeit continuous screw-up. I haven't been able to figure out how to up the loggin level, but I am attaching what logs I DO have. This problem is extremely annoying, and has been driving me up the wall. I'm running the PowerDVD codecs for DVDs and the MPV decoder for AVIs, xvids, divxs, etc. At first I thought that it may be that the hard drive can't keep up with feeding the data, but upon checking the hard drive light, it's most of the time not accesing the drive. This has got me utterly stumped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom