my dvd's/video files skip (1 Viewer)

leesayer

Portal Member
January 8, 2007
latest log playing dvd from hd freezes every time.

DalaNorth

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2006
    Skellefteå, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'm sorry, but the logs don't tell me anything about the reason for the freezes. Does this new freezing behavior also occur on all codecs, like the skip behavior did?

leesayer

Portal Member
    January 8, 2007
    yer it happens with nvid, cyberlink, and the free codecs. a bit mor info on the matter:- when the screen freezes usually i carnt get it off without switching of my system, however last night i got task manager up which showed 100% cpu usage by mp. pluss the movie would freeze at the exact same point, this happend 3 times. so i went upstairs onto another computer and played the same move, skipped it to about 5 mins befor the freeze sceen and it played straight past it ok. then about 10mins later froze on a diffrent sceene. could it be a windows problem? they are both running xp home sp2 with all updates.

lee

leesayer

Portal Member
    January 8, 2007
    got that fed up i formated my hd and installed xp pro instead of xp home.

same hapening freezing at any time attached is log file

wlgspotter

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2006
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi:

Not sure if the problem I was seeing is anything related to this, but yeah just last week I had this skipping from playing DVDs as well as Divx AVIs. The only change to my MP system was just a new USB wireless mouse. At the time when the problem occured, the USB wireless mouse receiver was attached onto the system, altho the mouse itself was powered off (batteries removed). Anyway, I went ahead and removed the USB mouse receiver from the system (i.e. running MP with only the MCE remote and keyboard), and the problem haven't occured since. Not sure if this is related or just a coincidence. So if any of you guys have wireless mouse/keyboards etc which are not required for normal MP function, perhaps try removing them and playing the DVDs/videos again and see if it might help alleviate the problem...

MediaPortal Version: 0.2.2.0
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
    Windows Version: XP SP2
    CPU Type: Shuttle SN27P2, AMD X2 4600+
    HDD: Seagate, 320GB
    Memory: 1GB DDR2 667MHz CL5
    Motherboard:
    Motherboard Chipset:
    Motherboard Bios:
    Video Card: nVidia 7300GS
    Video Card Driver:
    Sound Card: OnBoard/ALC882
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Hauppage MCE 150
    1. TV Card Type:
    1. TV Card Driver:
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec:
    MPEG2 Audio Codec:
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case: Shuttle SN27P2
    Cooling:
    Power Supply:
    Remote: MCE Remote
    TV: Sony 43" Rear Projection TV (SDTV)
    TV - HTPC Connection:confused:-Video

DalaNorth

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2006
    Skellefteå, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Even though it kind of sounds farfetched, wlgspotter may be on to something. In your previous logs, when you had the skipping problem. The logs showed that the video did indeed skip, but it kinda looked like it had been done intentionally. In your later logs, it is obvious that the video is stopped, but if you're not stopping it, who is? Maybe a buggy HID driver? I once installed a GPS on a laptop and it was recognized as a trackball... Man, the mouse cursor was all over the place wreaking havoc until I could disable the device in the device manager...

So, removing equipment that isn't necessary could be a first step to sorting this one out...

Regards
    DalaNorth

wlgspotter

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2006
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well yeah that may be true.

For my case, even tho the mouse pointer did not streak across the screen like something being let loose, I did have a bit of trouble with it under XP when MP is not running - it's like I had trouble controlling the device, and my CPU could sometimes get stuck at 100% - I figured that as the mouse is non essential in MP I'd remove it - it hasn't skipped a beat since then - fingers crossed that could be it!...

MediaPortal Version: 0.2.2.0
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
    Windows Version: XP SP2
    CPU Type: AMD X2 4600+
    HDD: Seagate, 320GB
    Memory: 1GB DDR2 667MHz CL5
    Motherboard:
    Motherboard Chipset:
    Motherboard Bios:
    Video Card: nVidia 7300GS
    Video Card Driver:
    Sound Card: OnBoard/ALC882
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Hauppage MCE 150
    1. TV Card Type: Analog
    1. TV Card Driver:
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec:
    MPEG2 Audio Codec:
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Sky TV (NZ)
    HTPC Case: Shuttle SN27P2
    Cooling:
    Power Supply:
    Remote: MS MCE Remote
    TV: Sony 43" Rear Projection (SDTV)
    TV - HTPC Connection: S-Video

leesayer

Portal Member
    January 8, 2007
    tried that last night and you may be right watched a full episode of firefly without any skipping it was great. then on the second episode it crashed. i was serching some sites on this vmr9 and several people were reporting that it uses a lot of cpu and crashes ther machine, thats not with mp just mce.

stryker

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Guess what, my video skipping started when I got a new wireless keyboard and mouse..... so give whats said above I'll try disconnecting my wireless mouse/keyb reciever and see if it fixes the problem.

leesayer

Portal Member
    January 8, 2007
    carn't say for sure if skipping has stopped as my dvd's just keep freezing up. however it has not skipped since i unplugged it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom