My IP TV Plugin (1 Viewer)

juan pablo

Portal Member
October 11, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Overture,

did you get my reply to your IM?

Hopefully i explained my view / position in my reply? Im not sure how this 'arcitecture' would work or to be honest what you mean. :lol:

If you could explain further id be greatful. I am especially keen to implement the viewtv.co.uk website as tihs is simply a website representation of a genuine IPTV commercial product. SO i believe this holds untold amounts of potential beyond simple links offered on numerous websites.

It looks like we are both keen to do this, so i guess its just a case of hammering out the 'whats' and when's'.

Ive got a bit of a gap in my schedule in January so it would be ideal for me if we could get something sorted out for the Christmas / January period, so we can get this thing sorted.

Juan Pablo.

overture

Portal Pro
January 3, 2006
Bangor
Home Country
No, I didn't get your IM. Could you resend it?

In the meantime I'll explain what I meant by my plugin architecture.

Generally, there seems to be a lot of sites providing IP TV. If we limit ourselves, and implement this plugin based on one site then we limit the amount of channels that can be retrieved (unless we write another plugin - which obviously means we're back to square one with the segregated data issue).

So what I propose is that a core IP TV 'host' plugin is created. This will contain the relevant code to discover other 'mini-plugin' DLL's at runtime via reflection.

This means that a mini-plugin can be created for each site out there. These will implement a specific interface (which we will need to define) so that all the data provided by the mini plugins is presented to the host application in a standard way.

The structure would be:-

Core IP TV Host DLL Plugin
|
|
\/
Mini Plugin Interface
/\
|
|___viewtv.co.uk mini plugin DLL
|
|
|___wwitv.com mini plugin DLL
|
|
|___worldwidemediaproject.com mini plugin DLL

Then all we have to worry about is any duplicate channels and how the data is presented to the user.

I hope this makes sense. Let me know what you think.

Talk Soon.

Phil

ps. January would probably suit me best.

juan pablo

Portal Member
October 11, 2006
Home Country
Overture,

That sound great. So this would basically allow us to vreate the starting point then anyone could make a plugin for a website they find, post it here and we could essentially create a library of modules from which people can pick and choose to install?

That sounds like the perfect solution.

Sorry i got confused, it was someone else who contacted me about making the new plugin. Im not sure how much experience or what skills they have just yet, but it seems as though there are now 3 of us prepared to work on making this much sought after plugin!
As for my own skills - ive never made a proper plugin before and my c# skills are limited to web deveopment rather than conventional programming, so this is a bit beyond me at this stage. But if you can point m e in the right direct on how to do this mod, then im sure we can work together on this.

overture

Portal Pro
January 3, 2006
Bangor
Home Country
juan pablo,

Still haven't got it - are you sending it to 'overture' (all lowercase)?
Otherwise i'll send you a message with my email address.

Regarding the plugin architecture; there are probably a few ways we can work on this together (bear in mind I've never worked in this way before).

1. I could write the host DLL plugin architecture and you could start work in the first test mini-plugin i.e. the viewtv.co.uk one or somthing. Obviously there are a lot of things in the middle here which we need to decide about the interface - but I think the methods for doing the data extraction out of the site could probably be done.

2. We could work on the plugin architecture together first, then modify one of the existing mediaportal IPTV plugins to become a mini-IPTV-plugin.

Let me know.

Phil

ps. if anyone else out there sees any potential problems with this approah please let me know.

juan pablo

Portal Member
October 11, 2006
Home Country
Overture,

Please read my last post again,as ive edited since you read it. Hopefully it will make more sense now, especially the last paragraph or two.

Personally i think approach 2 might be the best way, because we are working from different locations and you would be responsible for the arcitecture bit, so its probably best if we discuss things a bit more so you can explain the approach. Then we can build the plugin using wwITv and converting it to the new 'mini-plugin' format.

This will then give us an example base model from which we can then go on and convert any other existing plugin or simply create new plugins for the likes of www.viewtv.co.uk et al.

What do you think?

overture

Portal Pro
January 3, 2006
Bangor
Home Country
Yes option 2 sounds fine to me.

My only worry at the minute is that this plugin will be quite different to other plugins and it would be nice if one of the main developers could let us know whether this is outside the boundaries of what's allowed....and if so what guidelines we may need to follow.

Otherwise, I don't see any problems.

Defining what will be in the interface is the main thing. If we both know what sort of interface we're dealing with then we can happily work away without needing to know what the other person is doing.

Phil

hobbes487

Portal Pro
August 25, 2005
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello. I am definitely looking forward to this plugin. One thing I would really like to see is SopCast support. It is a form of streaming TV, but requires the use of their app. It may be possible to get around that though.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hello again!

ATM I am using a Kreatel 1710 IP-TV STB connected to a PVR-350. Most channels are (off course) encrypted, but not all (none of the radio strames). I would like to play these strams (IP TV) to get superior quality.

or
    UDP://@239.192.1.1

This works exellent using VLC, but not WMP (and MP).

Anyway your plugin can support this?

overture

Portal Pro
    January 3, 2006
    Bangor
    Home Country
    Anyway your plugin can support this?

Hi,

Let me clarify what Juan Pablo and I intend to do. We will be creating a Mediaportal IPTV plugin which will host 'mini IPTV plugins' - these mini plugins will hold the code which extracts the relevant data from the IPTV specific websites (and anyone will be able to write them). We will write the first plugin as an example of how it's done but by no means will we be writing plugins for all the sites out there.

The beauty of this is that the plugin isn't limited to only one IPTV providing website. So what I am saying is that after the Mediaportal IPTV 'Host' plugin is created anyone will be free to write a IPTV mini plugin to support the functionality that you require and it will be included seamlessly within the IPTV Host plugin.

Thanks for posting.

Phil

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Cool!
    So it will not be based on playing through WMP (hopefully not, since it can't play thre streams I refered to)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom