My Music - need your thoughts on how to improve and enhance (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OffColour

Portal Member
January 24, 2006
MP newbie here, but just wanted to add a vote for separate sound card selection for music (I'm a 2 soundcards saddo :) )

Love MP btw.

thechad

Portal Pro
February 5, 2005
Geelong, Australia
Home Country
I am with Machine on this one, now playing would be best as a screen saver and then maybe the fullscreen key as a button to get there quicker. I am pretty sure that XBMC uses the now playing and visualisation as a screensaver if you leave the machine going. Great for those people with big screens afraid of getting burn and much more interesting then the black screen that comes up at the moment.

Great work steve.

Confusedpenguin

Portal Member
December 20, 2005
UK
The Now Playing screen is great, top job Steve.

My main problem with My Music is the speed at which it accesses shares on which music is stored (as has already been pointed out) especially with large amounts of music, so I'm Just wondering if someone can clear this question up for me:

When mediaportal accesses a directory containing albums with album art in the form 'folder.jpg' within the folder - does it look within that particular folder only for the album art, or does it look within ..\MediaPortal\thumbs\music\albums in the MP directory?

Presumably if it does - it then takes less time to display the album art if it's local rather than on a network share. I noticed that the My Music display is much quicker without album art, so would it be possible to essentially cache all the album art, store it locally, assign it to that album and only recall it when changes are made?

EDIT: Oh, I've also edited the now playing screen for Bluetwo widescreen (16:9) users if anyone's interested in having it and Steve doesn't mind.

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
Great work. I like finally seeing what song is being played :)

I still miss an important party feature: when a song or playlist is playing (adhoc playlist?), the user should have a button titled "add song to cue" where one immidiately jumps to either "show all files" or a selected playlist, and can select a song or playlist to be added as: a)the next song, b)at the bottom of current playlist c) to be immidiately played

options a) b) and c) could be enabled in the setup of mediaportal to ones preferences.

regards
Knut

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
Somthing along the lines of this:
post-5720-1138279584.gif

Full size: http://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=54610

Do you agree?

-k

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This would be very nice!
    small hint: Look at some audio_browser skins for RoadRunner Skins (CarPC) they do have this layout - maybe you get a few more ideas from them..

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    To be honest, I've only just enabled My Music as I've always used iTunes - we have 7 computers all using iTunes and iTunes Sharing, so it's easiest this way. However I am pleasantly suprised at how well My Music is now working. Two things...

I'm using a CVS from yesterday (26 Jan) and when I navigate away from the normal list of music (like going fulll screen, or changing to the Now Playing view) and come back with the back button on my MCE remote, there is no list of music. I can get it all to appear again by going to My Playlists, then hitting the back button.

Secondly I'd like to add to options 12 and 50 - they seem to be saying the same kind of thing. I just want to be able to push play on any folder, and have it play all the tracks within that folder and any sub folders.

However we'll probably stay with iTunes for the moment, as even though it requires navigating away from the MP Interface, it's easier to connect to our shared libraries and still has an easier interface - although missing out on navigating by album art isn't fun. If there's any way to have iTunes shared libraries show up in My Music, then I'm all over it!

And the best interface for browsing music I've found - MCE Vista. Hoorah for widescreen! 8)

http://iandixon.co.uk/CS/photos/ces/images/379/original.aspx

miljbee

Portal Pro
    November 11, 2005
    Orléans, France
    Home Country
    France France
    knutinh said:
    Great work. I like finally seeing what song is being played :)

I still miss an important party feature: when a song or playlist is playing (adhoc playlist?), the user should have a button titled "add song to cue" where one immidiately jumps to either "show all files" or a selected playlist, and can select a song or playlist to be added as: a)the next song, b)at the bottom of current playlist c) to be immidiately played

options a) b) and c) could be enabled in the setup of mediaportal to ones preferences.

regards
    Knut

I agree, The first day i have used mp, i have immediately search an "enqueue" option ....

Confusedpenguin

Portal Member
    December 20, 2005
    UK
    Brocklander said:
    I'm using a CVS from yesterday (26 Jan) and when I navigate away from the normal list of music (like going fulll screen, or changing to the Now Playing view) and come back with the back button on my MCE remote, there is no list of music. I can get it all to appear again by going to My Playlists, then hitting the back button.

I had the same problem with that CVS, it got fixed for me the one after.

Roberdin

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2005
    London, United Kingdom
    I would also like a far more integral iTunes plugin.

With my setup, I only have one computer on which I both work on my primary display and use MediaPortal on my TV. Hence, I'm likely to be playing some music in iTunes just prior to watching TV or whatever. I'd like MediaPortal to keep track of what iTunes is doing and pause music playback once MediaPortal is doing something else. It should also actively keep tabs on what iTunes is doing when you're in the My Music screen, and preferrably play back songs in their individual playlists if that's how I've selected them to be played. I understand that this requires a bit more work than the existing iTunes plugin and that my setup is probably in a minority, but it would be nontheless good to have this support in the core architecture for other media players anyway.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom