My Music - need your thoughts on how to improve and enhance (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    MJGraf said:
    Thanks for the quick reply Steve!

I apparently always used "show album info", because I just pressed F3.

But I'm too stupid to find out how to use "Find coverart". Is there a shortcut? Any hint appreciated...

:D <F9> (or right click) a share, artist, or album and select "Find coverart" from the menu.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    CHli said:
    SteveV said:
    Sorry, still unclear. Please post (or PM me) some screenshots.

Thanks,

Steve

Here we go :

What I want for default view for Album when Artist View is Selected is :

But what I get when I select list in configuration.exe and half of the time in mp.exe :

Ok, now I understand. The problem is that there's no way to distinguish between a normal list and a the taller "AlbumListView" list in configuration.exe Music-->Music Views so there's no way to persist the settings. I'll add this to the todo list.

dreamvoid

Portal Member
    February 15, 2006
    WDS works with a plugin system for any filetype, so any container/tag format can be added. Out-of-the-box it does at least m3u, mp3, wma and avi/wmv/mpeg as well, probably dvr-ms too, but haven't really checked everything yet, only the PDF plugin. Don't know exactly if any for FLAC, OGG and MP4 containers are built yet but they're bound to come sooner or later, especially with WinFS coming up soon (which will almost certainly have an API a lot like WDS).

It indexes network shares too, BTW. One of the coolest things about WDS compared to the current MP search is search-as-you-type, which would really be practical with the SMS-type input of a remote.

But a perhaps controversial thing to consider is that you will effectively force MP users to use WDS over Google Desktop (or other). It's probably best not to ditch the current search completely but rather add this as an option.

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    Great work!

I find myself doing CVSes almost everyday just to look into the new functions.

I tried to start a discussion here on what an ideal "partymode" would look like. Perhaps I am the only one with such needs? When 20 people are in my living room, a simple self-explanatory UI is necessary. But restrictions on what to allow them and what not is more difficult.

Perhaps lock MP in my music mode (pin-code exit) as the remote is sure to get the famous stress test (press all buttons sequntially in frantic pace and see what happens).

Perhaps lock all downloads, save etc. Just allow selection between preset playlists, direct selection/search of a single song, and my favourite:

A dynamic playlist that start out as either empty or a copy from an existing playlist, where users have access to all the nice GUI features to search and insert songs at the bottom at the list continually. Some kind of mechanism to jump from "fetch song mode" to "view playlist/currently playing mode". Using the newly added sort buttons to allow changing the order of songs/deleting postings. Fading from track to track. Allow restrictions on user operations (such as not stopping songs, only cueing up the next to be played).

best regards
    Knut

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    SteveV said:
    Can you post a directory listing of one of the affected albums?

As soon as this show finishes recording I will get right on that.

Another thing I noticed, at least in the CVS build I am using (from a couple of days ago so it may be fixed by now) is that asking MP to scan for coverart when the internet is not connected for whatever reason results in a dialog that says "not connected to the internet". When you hit okay, it exits MP to the desktop. Perhaps this has been found/fixed since then.

Okay, here is a directory listing:
    C:\Music\The One AM Radio\A Name Writ In Water
    C:\Music\The One AM Radio\A Name Writ In Water\A Name Writ In Water.m3u
    C:\Music\The One AM Radio\A Name Writ In Water\The One AM Radio - Buried Below.mp3
    C:\Music\The One AM Radio\A Name Writ In Water\The One AM Radio - Drowsy Haze.mp3
    C:\Music\The One AM Radio\A Name Writ In Water\The One AM Radio - Fever Dream.mp3
    C:\Music\The One AM Radio\A Name Writ In Water\The One AM Radio - Forests Burned.mp3
    C:\Music\The One AM Radio\A Name Writ In Water\The One AM Radio - I Didn't Speak the Language.mp3
    C:\Music\The One AM Radio\A Name Writ In Water\The One AM Radio - Lucky.mp3
    C:\Music\The One AM Radio\A Name Writ In Water\The One AM Radio - Shivers.mp3
    C:\Music\The One AM Radio\A Name Writ In Water\The One AM Radio - This Is A Document.mp3
    C:\Music\The One AM Radio\A Name Writ In Water\The One AM Radio - Those Distant Lights.mp3
    C:\Music\The One AM Radio\A Name Writ In Water\The One AM Radio - Under Thunder and Gale.mp3
    C:\Music\The One AM Radio\A Name Writ In Water\The One AM Radio - Untied.mp3
    C:\Music\The One AM Radio\A Name Writ In Water\The One AM Radio - What You Gave Away.mp3
    C:\Music\The One AM Radio\A Name Writ In Water\The One AM Radio - Witness.mp3

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    jawbroken,

Thanks for the listing. Is it safe for me to assume that all of your music folders include an m3u playlist and not just the ones failing in the coverart grabber? While the grabber should ignore playlist files can I ask you to temporarily remove the m3u file from one of the affected album folders and try grabbing coverart for that folder.

Regarding the "not connected to the internet" issue; nope your the first to report it. I'll fix it in the next release.

Steve

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Hey, it works fine if I take the playlist files out. You know, I even thought of that but then I figured that was silly. All my folders do have playlist file, so it seems it is partially ignoring them, or ignoring them under some circumstances and not others. Strange.

The only thing I can think of is that some playlists are named "Album.m3u" as above and some are named "Artist - Album.m3u". I had thought this might be the problem before, but then I located folders with "Album.m3u" playlists that worked fine.

I hope this helps you track down the issue.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Hmmm, wierd given that I explicitly look for, and ignore, playlist extensions. No biggie as it should be easy to fix. I'll include this in the next release which will probably happen over the weekend as I'm finishing up a couple of My Music changes.

Thanks for the report -- Steve

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom