MY TV Performace boost in MCE/XP w/ SP2 | Page 2

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by SiLenTYL, May 2, 2005.

1. SiLenTYL
    • Team MediaPortal

SiLenTYL Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    LOL !

Hehehe..actually i have a portable usb2 200GB HDD on which i would create the tvguide.xml from the internet pc, then detach and move over to the other PC..

however i just got my hands on a wireless-g router and now i can do it straight up on my MP HTPC...only thing i need to do now is swap over my mini-pci wireless-b for wireless-g for more performance

The DVB-T device i have (Dvico USB2) does support DVB EPG, however only DVB-S seems to support DVB EPG in MP...i have tried in the past and i never see anything...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. LastMar

LastMar Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A bit off-topic but, what kind of LAN transfer speed do you see over that wireless?

4. Callifo
    • Team MediaPortal

Callifo Retired Team Member

Student
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Home Country:
    Depends on distance and signal strength. Mines through 2 walls at a short distance. Signal strength says very good and large files it maxes at a tad over 4mb/sec. (Belkin 125MB 11g)

Obviously that is only one way. (PC ------- AP______PC, one pc on wireless and one wired) If it was transferring files from one PC to another both on the wireless it would be half that speed.

5. moullas

moullas Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Cyprus Cyprus
    ICS can be had through other software like Winroute.. depends on how much you want this performance boost :)

6. SiLenTYL
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    the security center is lost also...basically just the firewall..which could also be replaced with ZoneAlarm or *insert favorite firewall app here*

as far as a wireless-B mini-pci card can do with a wireless-G router..im guessing 11Mbps...1.375Mbytes per second

by copying a single file from the pc at the router to the PC with the wireless-B mini-pci card...just testing now..it looks like this:

PC-->Router ) ) ) ) ( ( ( MSI MEGA

i get at MAX......6.6Mbps...830Kbytes per second on the recieveing end(MSI MEGA) after about 10 mintues of copying..getting very erratic speeds...which has crashed just now as im writing this

its going through 2 walls and about 5 metres..so its about right...damn i cant wait to swap this crumby B for a G !

7. vbap

vbap Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I guess we are going off topic here, but....

I had heaps of problems with wireless on my HTPC. Initially used an 802.11b router , but had a Netgear PCI-based WG311T in the HTPC (This is G capable, also Netgear's "SuperG"). Extremely erratic, dropped connections, blah blah blah.
    Changed the router to a Netgear DG834G (Wireless G). Other PCs (notebooks + 1 desktop) in the home loved the upgrade - great throughput. The HTPC still coughed and spluttered...
    Finally, ditched the WG#11T for a WG111 (a USB "stick"). Everything grand - always a "Very Good" or "Excellent" connection, no drop-outs, can VNC to the machine with ease...

Mine is through 1 wall, about 7 metres, but that wall includes a stainless steel fridge!

8. promike

promike Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am using the 0.1.2.0 with DVB-t (HP USB2) and DVB-EPG works (capturing it is manually in the configuration module). Latest CVS supports tuning for DVB-t again but no DVB-EPG. I guess it is work in progress.

Michael

9. observer_11

observer_11 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A bit on topic..., but I have to mention what a difference this fix has made for me and my setup (see specs below). The MyTV performance difference has been like night and day.

Before turning off Windows Management Instrumentation, I had AV sync issues, microfreezing, and worst of all I could not record a single thing with my hauppauge dual tuner.

Since disabling this service MyTV functions perfectly and I am happily dual recording channels - lean, mean, PVR'n machine ;) No microfreezing, no stuttering, no AV sync issues whatsoever!

I wonder how many others have similar performance problems and do not know it? Not everyone has the time or energy to search through thread after thread of info in the forums and try and troubleshoot. Maybe during initial MP install a warning msgbox should appear to warn WMI service is running and may negatively impact MP MyTV performance. "If you experience MyTV performance issues try disabling the WMI service." kind of thing...?

I have to mention I did also upgrade my nforce2 chipset drivers at the same time I disabled the WMI service so that may have been a factor but I doubt it.

System Config:
    MP Version: 0.1.2.0
    Skin: MCE
    Windows Version: WinXP SP2
    CPU Type: AMD ATHLON 3200+
    Memory: 768 MB DDR400
    Motherboard Chipset: ABIT nforce2
    Video Card: MSI 6600GT AGP
    Video Card Driver: 77.62
    Video Render Type: VMR9
    Video Codec Type & Version: Intervideo, DScaler, and Nvidia
    Audio Codec Type & Version: AC3, DScaler, Nvidia
    TV Card: Hauppage MCE500 Wint-TV PVR/ TwinHan 1020
    TV Card Type: hardware / DVB
    TV Card Driver: 2_0_30_23074_WHQL / BDA 1.2.1.7

10. Callifo
    • Team MediaPortal

Callifo Retired Team Member

Student
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Home Country:
    While that may be true, the problem is disabling the service does interrupt a few others. Need more research into this problem to see whats causing the problem.

11. SiLenTYL
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    hmm...i returned all the settings to normal to see if the CVS had improved on code and i think it must have...

i just disabled MCE Scheduler and MCE Reciever and it seems to be fine now...
    I have ICS and Security Centre working fine, wireless network also working fine..smooth as silk...

i also changed over to the Cyberlink SP/Video Decoder for MY TV and its a definite improvement over any other codec (for me at least)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!