[fixed] My Videos PIN protected folders in "Title View"? (1 Viewer)

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    If you're looking for opinions my vote would be as follows.

1. When initially entering DB views, all movies NOT in a protected folder should be displayed without any PIN prompt. That will allow the Kids to access their movies as easily as possible.

Yes, that is my wish also, I can add in context menu only one entry (Unlock or Lock) without a problem (see 2 for rest) and this will not need any skin changes.

2. Add an Unlock option to the context menu. If this option can be displayed only if there is protected content then great.
    This can be done without a problem. My only concern is that maybe somebody will post on forum that some movies missing :) as they are forget for protected contents. Some sort of Lock/unlock icon will be great sign for users to know if there is some nono contents but that will need simple skin change ( I can do that for default MP skins, but not for others, also such change is questionable before 1.3.0)

3. Once unlocked it should remain unlocked unless manually locked again from the context menu or you exit MP. I would also lock again when leaving Videos (if possible) and when moving to Share view (that way you're back to normal shareview behaviour).
    This can be done also without too much problem but maybe somebody wouldn't like that, or user can forget about that and he never turns off MP :). This is a tricky one (maybe with Config settings so user can decide that)

Just did a quick test. It's working as follows for me

1. When entering videos I'm immediately prompted for a PIN.
    2. If I enter the PIN all movies are unlocked.
    3. If I don't enter a PIN I'm asked if I want to try again.
    4. If I say "No", movies in the unprotected folder are displayed.
    5. In order to access the protected movies I have to exit Videos, go back in and enter the PIN when prompted.
    6. When entering videos with a default view of Year, Genre or Actors, all lists are displayed until you select an item and then you are prompted for a pin. Should be OK unless your Actor images are umm... questionable ;)
    7. Shareview behaviour is (as you said) unchanged :).

Hope this is what you expected.

All the best,

Mick.

Edit: Also, just noticed that you do still get prompted to enter the pin again before playing a movie that's stored in a protected folder even after you've initially entered the pin to unlock. Think I see what you meant now.
    Yes, exactly as I intended to be. Even, I would rather change as you proposed above but when leaving database views that pin is reset. If nobody complains, I can change that quickly and put this fix for 1.2.0RC

Concerning actor images :) well, this will be very very rare case :) and it complicates whole procedure .

Wo0zy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 30, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks Deda,

I think we agree that the least intrusive solution that causes the minimum confusion is the way forward and I'm sure that whatever you decide will be the best compromise.

If you try out any other changes just send over the patch file either here or via pm if you want them tested.

All the best,

Mick

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Here's the 2nd version.

Difference is that it will not ask PIN on first entry, if there is some protected contend in Context menu (not hidden menu) you will have option (Lock/Unlock content). I better like this behavior as you suggested because of less annoying PIN questioning.

Only I missing is some visual sign to tell me that there is some Protected contents. But I think this is 100% better than it was before :). Visual sign can wait 1.3.0 or sooner if team give me approval for minor skin addition.

Same caution for replacing file is still valid :)

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    For visual sign. Just implement property: #MyVideos.PinLocked with values "true" and "false" skinners can then choose to show any kind of text/indicator.

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Yes, nice idea, thx Silent. I didn't changed anything in GUIVideoFiles (share view code) as there PIN protection needs complete rework. If I catch 1 or 2 calm days without kids screaming :), probably I can manage that.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi,

I have not yet tested this fix, but just to clarify what happens.

If you have PIN protected shares, their content is not shown when in a database view.

Instead, the context menu has an option to allow you to unlock content.

Is this right?

If so, say you have two protected shares, which PIN do you enter? Or do you just enter whichever PIN you want and MP then unlocks content according to this?

Mark

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Hi,

If you have PIN protected shares, their content is not shown when in a database view.

True. That's why I want some visual identification if there are some content which is not visible (will add that on final patch with skin example).

Is this right?
    Right.

If so, say you have two protected shares, which PIN do you enter? Or do you just enter whichever PIN you want and MP then unlocks content according to this?
    Any PIN you like from protected video shares. This was hard to decide, but just think you're in Genre view and movies inside are from different protected shares with different pins, which one to take for validation, or ask for all and give user opportunity to break remote :).

PS
    I also noticed, when you switch from database view to shares with PIN unlocked, when you came back from shares to database views content is still unlock. It was not my original idea, but somehow I like that. Content is autolock for database views if you leave My Videos or with minimized protected playing video you enter other Plugin/Non My Vids screen.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi,

True

Is this right?
    Right.

Any PIN you like from protected video shares. This was hard to decide, but just think you're in Genre view and movies inside are from different protected shares with different pins, which one to take for validation, or ask for all and give user opportunity to break remote :).

So if you have shares A and B with different PINs, and enter the PIN from share A, you will only enable content from share A, but if you later enter the PIN from share B, you will enable the content from this share as well?

Mark

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    No, you will unlock A and B content with any PIN from A or B.

Sure, this is not so good if you have more kids with big age difference and you have special folders for every kid with different PIN (not to mention if you also have your special folder :) with another PIN), but currently, I don't have any easy and intuitive approach how to do that.

But this just complicates things too much, and leads to create Parental Guide specialized software :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom