• Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    TV Server 1.18.0
    Windows 7 32-bit
    4GB RAM
    AMD Phenom I CPU 2.1Ghz triple core

I'm just wondering if this is normal. Every 15 seconds on the TVServer computer, mysqld.exe takes 100% of a CPU core for about 15 seconds and then goes back to 0% and repeats this constantly. TV Server has 95 items in the Schedules which I assume TV Server needs to check regularly to see if any are coming up in the EPG. Is that what is likely to be taking this amount of CPU time?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    TV Server does do its scheduler work (start new recordings, stop current recordings etc. etc. etc.) on a 15 second timer. I wouldn't have thought that work should cause MySQL to ever take 100% CPU, especially for 15 seconds. Considering your recent forum thread related to TV Server not starting and the reported mysqlcheck fix, I'd suspect - with no evidence other than your own words - that your database is not happy. That's about all I can say given the limits of the information you've chosen to provide.

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It has been doing this for at least a year. Database operations are very slow. Loading the "Scheduled" page in MP client / TV takes about 15 seconds also. What logs are required to determine the problem?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Loading the "Scheduled" page in MP client / TV takes about 15 seconds also.
    For ~90 schedules? If it's actually taking 15 seconds, that would be a strong indication that something is very wrong.

What logs are required to determine the problem?
    Standard TV Server log files probably aren't of much use for a problem like this.

First thing I'd do is confirm that any security software you run (including Windows Defender!) is configured appropriately. When I say "appropriately" I mean: it should definitely be configured not to scan time-shifting and recording folders. Further, if it were me, I'd also have it configured to skip scanning TV Server's program and log directories, and for MySQL, at least the data directory.

In terms of log files... possibly the only ones I'd bother looking at are MySQL's general and slow query logs. Of more use in my opinion would be using Windows resource monitor to confirm where the bottlenecks are on a high level (ie. CPU, or disk, or... etc.) and which processes are causing them.

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This computer is not used by anyone, it's just acting as a server. Anti-virus and anti-malware protection are disabled, so that's not the cause.
    Resource Monitor shows the following.
    RAM: 510MB free. Doesn't go below that.
    Disk: 0% of Highest Active Time (128KB/sec peak)
    CPU: 48% total utilization peak. That is during mssqld.exe using 33% of this triple core CPU.
    Everything looks normal for this hardware.

This is version 5.1 of MySQL. I installed 5.6 many moons ago but TV Server is using 5.1 and I don't know how to change that.
    MySQL Logs attached after a TV Server start and then the MP Scheduled page requested. Hopefully you can see something.

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes Windows Defender has Real-Time protection disabled and no scheduled scans enabled.
    Is the problem 31300 rows of data? That seems a lot.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, thanks.

Obviously the slow query log contains a bunch of entries, all of which relate to the Program table. That particular table often used to get corrupted with MySQL 5.1's MyISAM database engine. That was one of the primary motivations for updating to MySQL 5.6. So that's one open question.

The other question I'd have would be around your EPG data and schedule types:
    • how many channels do you have?
    • how many of them have EPG data?
    • how many days worth of EPG data do the channels have?
    • how many of your schedules are "...on any channel..." type schedules?

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    • how many channels do you have: 59
    • how many of them have EPG data: Should only be 59 but may be as high as 70.
    • how many days worth of EPG data do the channels have: 8 days
    • how many of your schedules are "...on any channel..." type schedules: 41 of the 96 schedules. A lot of those are sports channels where many are annual tournaments which can be on any of 7 sports channels.

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I tried again to switch to 5.6. I copied the data files and folders over from the 5.1 folder, but I get this when attempting to start it.

2017-12-03 17:32:12 4644 [ERROR] InnoDB: auto-extending data file .\ibdata1 is of a different size 640 pages (rounded down to MB) than specified in the .cnf file: initial 768 pages, max 0 (relevant if non-zero) pages!
    2017-12-03 17:32:12 4644 [ERROR] InnoDB: Could not open or create the system tablespace. If you tried to add new data files to the system tablespace, and it failed here, you should now edit innodb_data_file_path in my.cnf back to what it was, and remove the new ibdata files InnoDB created in this failed attempt. InnoDB only wrote those files full of zeros, but did not yet use them in any way. But be careful: do not remove old data files which contain your precious data!
    2017-12-03 17:32:12 4644 [ERROR] Plugin 'InnoDB' init function returned error.
    2017-12-03 17:32:12 4644 [ERROR] Plugin 'InnoDB' registration as a STORAGE ENGINE failed.
    2017-12-03 17:32:12 4644 [ERROR] C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.6\bin\mysqld.exe: unknown variable 'default-character-set=utf8'
    2017-12-03 17:32:12 4644 [ERROR] Aborting

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom