mysqld.exe CPU spikes whenever TV Server is running (1 Viewer)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I've got the same spikes. With MySQL those spikes are at 100% and leads to freezes of MP. That's why I'm using MSSQL lately. There are those spikes are "only" up to 50-70% so the HTPC is usable.. As I have lots of schedules (series recordings, I think those are about 60-70 active schedules at a time) I can see now where it comes from... And I only have EPG Data for about 40 Channels...

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Can you log what is happening.
    Within MySQL execute
    Code:
    SET GLOBAL general_log = 'ON';
    this will then log SQL commands (unless you have changed the location it will be C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\data\hostname.log)
    leave this for a while and try and note the time of the spikes so this can tied up with the queries.
    Turn off logging afterwards
    Code:
    SET GLOBAL general_log = 'OFF';
    so we can check the logs.

I think this is a feature of the scheduling engine polling the database and not being event driven but just want to check the SQL

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    About to go out for the rugby but will try that this evening or tomorrow for you. If scheduling polling is the problem, a relatively simple solution would be to check the database less often - if I'm padding recordings with 3 minutes of pre-record, it surely isn't necessary to check every 5-10 seconds for a schedule.

But yeah, being event driven would be better, or even just if the polling could be optimized.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Maybe MySQL 5.6 already solves the problem?
    Possible, but I don't believe it. I've tested MySQL 5.1 and 5.5 and MSSQL 2005, 2008 and 2010 as Database Server. (MySQL 5.6 was too new as I done this tests) The spikes are the lowest with MSSQL 2005 Express, but not too much difference at all. So I believe it's more TV Server related than SQL Engine related...

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I do not use any schedules (I wish I could but with windows 8 TVserver doesnt work properly when waking up from sleep), but also experience MySql spikes.. Solved it a bit by setting the refresh interval for updating the database to 4 hours.. also set to update EPG only when running idle with a time out of 3 minutes, so when closing Mediaportal, 3 minutes after that, it updates the database.. or when starting the HTPC, 3 minutes up and running it starts updating the database..

I have now changed the EPG to only update the EPG for the channels I watch (made a group for them) and that are only a handfull, lets see what that does.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    About to go out for the rugby but will try that this evening or tomorrow for you. If scheduling polling is the problem, a relatively simple solution would be to check the database less often - if I'm padding recordings with 3 minutes of pre-record, it surely isn't necessary to check every 5-10 seconds for a schedule.

Even polling once per hour wouldn't solve the issue - you sill will receive those CPU spikes and those can cause dropped frames in worst case.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    You could try using something like Process Lasso to lower the priority of the MySQL processes - at least that should make it less likely to interfere with playback (I've done this on my HTPC for ages - otherwise the idle EPG grabber causes dropped frames etc, even though I use MS SQL Express 2005).

Last edited:

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Can you log what is happening.
    Within MySQL execute
    Code:
    SET GLOBAL general_log = 'ON';
    this will then log SQL commands (unless you have changed the location it will be C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\data\hostname.log)
    leave this for a while and try and note the time of the spikes so this can tied up with the queries.
    Turn off logging afterwards
    Code:
    SET GLOBAL general_log = 'OFF';
    so we can check the logs.

I think this is a feature of the scheduling engine polling the database and not being event driven but just want to check the SQL
    Log file and noted CPU usage spike times attached!

Attachments

• HTPC.zip
      16.6 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom