Need help setting up new remote for MediaPortal. (1 Viewer)

Marienkind

Portal Member
April 10, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I just bought an Ortek remote, one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Ortek-Window...00224ZDFY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

And I'm trying to configure the Green (Start) Button to launch Media Portal. But I don't know what kind of remote it falls under in MediaPortal's configuration app. I'm going to need to set up all the other buttons too because they don't work right in the app itself. Pause does nothing. The back arrow does nothing.. etc.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    And I'm trying to configure the Green (Start) Button to launch Media Portal.
    The post referenced by MM is the place to start. To get the Ortek/Hama remote to work optimally, you really need to use an additional tool called "AutoHotKey". This tool traps keystrokes and allows you to map them to other keystrokes. This keystroke-mapping is required in order to get the Ortek/Hama to work properly.

Please read the file "Centarea HID.txt" included in the ZIP file, and then read the comments at the start of the file "Centarea HID.ahk" (this is the AutoHotKey script that performs the keystroke mapping). Then do this:

(1) Download and install "AutoHotKey". The web address is included in the comments in the AHK file.

(2) In "MP Config", in the "Remotes and Input Devices" section:
    (a) On the "HID" tab, deselect "Generic HID" (depending on the version of MP that you are using, this might be called "General HID" or just "HID").
    (b) On the "Microsoft MCE" tab (if present), deselect "Microsoft MCE".
    (c) On the "Sceneo" tab, select "Centarea HID".
    Save the changes and exit.

(3) Move the file "Centarea HID.xml" in the folder:
    C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings\
    If you cannot see the "ProgramData" folder, you need to change your folder options so that hidden folders become visible.

(4) Move the file "Centarea HID.ahk" to your startup folder and reboot. Alternatively, double click the AHK file to start it running.

You should now be able to use the Ortek/Hama START button to invoke MP, and most of the other buttons on the remote should work correctly (there are some restrictions -- see the TXT file for details).

I use the Ortek/Hama myself, although I have setup a Harmony 650 universal remote to transmit the Ortek/Hama signals to the Ortek/Hama IR receiver.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I just bought an Ortek remote
    Good, you should send it back.
    The remote you bought is not compatible with Microsoft standard MCE remotes.
    Of course you could get it to work but it will be a pain.

If you need an external receiver I would recommend the following from Inteset:
    http://shop.inteset.com/usb-external-infrared-ir-receiver-only-with-cable
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YFC2IQ8
    I have never tried it myself however I've had the most pleasant experience with an internal variant of that same hardware.
    Inteset also sells a remote which is apparently highly praised too: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M4I1BAY
    Alternatively you could use another kind if universal remote control such as Logitech Harmony or Philips Prestigo.

If you want a similar solution with both remote and receiver go for this kind of HP remote:
    https://www.amazon.com/HP-Infrared-...000?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=184DYNY456K1CFP11BJ0

This one should do too:
    https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Micro...TF8&qid=1478617029&sr=1-8&keywords=MCE+remote

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Good, you should send it back.
    The remote you bought is not compatible with Microsoft standard MCE remotes.
    Of course you could get it to work but it will be a pain.
    The Ortek remote may not be compatible with Microsoft standard MCE remotes but it works straight out of the box on Windows Media Center and requires only minimal setting changes to getting working to 95% on Media Portal. Further if you follow CyberSimian's instructions, which are not at all painfull, you will get it close to 100% functional in MP and additionally you have the very useful mouse capability in a robust, good quality and cheap remote control.:p

Marienkind

Portal Member
    April 10, 2012
    Home Country
    Even if it doesn't work with MediaPortal that's okay because I have other apps it works great with.
    And I'm trying to configure the Green (Start) Button to launch Media Portal.
    The post referenced by MM is the place to start. To get the Ortek/Hama remote to work optimally, you really need to use an additional tool called "AutoHotKey". This tool traps keystrokes and allows you to map them to other keystrokes. This keystroke-mapping is required in order to get the Ortek/Hama to work properly.

Please read the file "Centarea HID.txt" included in the ZIP file, and then read the comments at the start of the file "Centarea HID.ahk" (this is the AutoHotKey script that performs the keystroke mapping). Then do this:

(1) Download and install "AutoHotKey". The web address is included in the comments in the AHK file.

(2) In "MP Config", in the "Remotes and Input Devices" section:
    (a) On the "HID" tab, deselect "Generic HID" (depending on the version of MP that you are using, this might be called "General HID" or just "HID").
    (b) On the "Microsoft MCE" tab (if present), deselect "Microsoft MCE".
    (c) On the "Sceneo" tab, select "Centarea HID".
    Save the changes and exit.

(3) Move the file "Centarea HID.xml" in the folder:
    C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings\
    If you cannot see the "ProgramData" folder, you need to change your folder options so that hidden folders become visible.

(4) Move the file "Centarea HID.ahk" to your startup folder and reboot. Alternatively, double click the AHK file to start it running.

You should now be able to use the Ortek/Hama START button to invoke MP, and most of the other buttons on the remote should work correctly (there are some restrictions -- see the TXT file for details).

I use the Ortek/Hama myself, although I have setup a Harmony 650 universal remote to transmit the Ortek/Hama signals to the Ortek/Hama IR receiver.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
    Thanks for this. I had already seen that thread and tried AutoHotKey before making this one. None of it made sense to me and I didn't buy a remote just so I'd have to learn how to write scripts to use it. This method doesn't fully work for me but that might be because I'm on MP 1.11 and refuse to upgrade. I tried it on 1.15 and it still doesn't work. None of the newer versions ever worked right and always messed something up like the UI. I'm going to see if my original MCE remote will work with the Ortek IR receiver once I find it. If it does I'll use it for MP and the Ortek remote for everything else.

Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm going to see if my original MCE remote will work with the Ortek IR receiver once I find it.
    If the IR signals are compatible, your MCE remote will most certainly work in exactly the same way as the Ortek.
    What matters is the receiver, the remote not so much, it either works or does not with your receiver.
    What's important is how your IR signal is interpreted by the receiver and sent to the system.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    very useful mouse capability
    I had no idea it was doing mouse as well. A fully compatible MCE receiver like the ones from Inteset also does mouse, then you just need to find a remote that's supporting it.
    The only MCE IR emitter device I know of supporting mouse input is the original Microsoft MCE IR keyboard that features a joystick to control your mouse.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    very useful mouse capability
    I had no idea it was doing mouse as well. A fully compatible MCE receiver like the ones from Inteset also does mouse, then you just need to find a remote that's supporting it.
    The only MCE IR emitter device I know of supporting mouse input is the original Microsoft MCE IR keyboard that features a joystick to control your mouse.

The mouse capability is integral, see attached picture. Works well.

remote.jpg

Marienkind

Portal Member
    April 10, 2012
    Home Country
    My original MCE remote doesn't work with the Ortek receiver. But I think I got all the functions of this remote to work in MediaPortal by basically doing what CyberSimian said but enabling more options. HID, Media Keys, MCE and Sceneo rather than just Sceneo. Only thing is I can't get the green button to launch MediaPortal. Somehow, I lost Media Center when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 a few months ago, so the service isn't installed. I never noticed that because my original MCE remote was launching MediaPortal with no problems. Now I'm trying to figure out how the get Media Center back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom