network-clients dont work (freezes) (1 Viewer)

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    @joboehl
    If I started mp, the first selected channel is frozen.Then I play backward and TV begins to play. If I play forward (to the end) the picture freezes again:mad:

Yep, that's the behavior.

It seems to me that anytime you move to Live point, the system stops showing image. It still process the video, just don't update the frame on the screen.

What I mean by that is that MP is not unresponsive. It's working just not updating the TV Image (like in pause).

If you skip back or forwards it plays fine, as long as you don't go to live point.

Since TV On and ChannelChange force a move to livepoint, they appear to freeze. Skipping back brings image back again.

I could not narrow down much in terms of code. I think we will need to wait the devs jump in.

BTW - Frodo made some changes in channel changing. It's down from 4~6 secs to less then 2 secs here. As soon as this thing is fixed, would be nice to see if this improved in other environments too.

josu

Portal Pro
    March 14, 2006
    Kassel, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @joboehl
    If I started mp, the first selected channel is frozen.Then I play backward and TV begins to play. If I play forward (to the end) the picture freezes again:mad:

Yep, that's the behavior.

It seems to me that anytime you move to Live point, the system stops showing image. It still process the video, just don't update the frame on the screen.

What I mean by that is that MP is not unresponsive. It's working just not updating the TV Image (like in pause).

If you skip back or forwards it plays fine, as long as you don't go to live point.

Since TV On and ChannelChange force a move to livepoint, they appear to freeze. Skipping back brings image back again.

I could not narrow down much in terms of code. I think we will need to wait the devs jump in.

BTW - Frodo made some changes in channel changing. It's down from 4~6 secs to less then 2 secs here. As soon as this thing is fixed, would be nice to see if this improved in other environments too.

that makes me happy, that I could help you:)

mp will be a very, very good media-program.
    :D to the devs:D

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country
    yeah its a little unusual, cause if you change channel the tv server almost has the change reflect immediately , it just takes a while for the client to get the image, its almost as tho it has to refind the whole stream again or something instead of just watching the same stream , just with a different station, just out of curiousity the guys having this problem, how long does it take for you guys when you go into tv from the main menu before you get any video or audio in the tv main screen? is there a delay of like 10 seconds before it starts up?
    Thats what i experience , but i'm hoping its my poor reception causing this

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    If there is no stream and timeshifting needs to start it takes around 10secs. If stream is already active (ie: other client using it), it's less. But I think this will improve. Frodo it's working in zaping now (with excellent results) and will probably look at some other areas during the beta cycle.

Reposition needs to occur for some reasons. For example if you are timeshifting and need to come back to live point. Also there is a buffer at the client. So if you just tune a different channel at the server, the image will not change immediatelly.

I think that (not repositioning) is what was happening in previous SVNs, and you could see a 4~6 secs of delay between the change and the actual image. It would only reposition if the current position was too far away from livepoint (i think it was something like 10 seconds). At least that's my understanding of how it worked.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    i-loop.

Could you test if, when freezed, skippng 15 secs back solves the problem (starts playing again)?

Also, SeekToEnd should freeze MP too.

I ask this because I'am trying to narrow the search. I think the problem is on a specific function.
    it is freezing because the stream is broken.
    just connect to the stream with VLC and enable the debug log. :)

josu

Portal Pro
    March 14, 2006
    Kassel, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

I have tested the new svn12847, but same behavior:sorry:

Edit: I have now tested with vlc and have channel-changing simulated with the tve-timeshift-function. Log as attachment !!

I thought in this thread because playing mpeg , there is a problem with the pts !!

Now I think, that could be here the same problem (VLC-LOG) !

P.S. VLC freezes equal mp-client after simulated channel-changing !!

Rhys.Goodwin

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey,
    Is this just a problem with remote network clients? I seem to be geting these problems with the my network client and with the client installed at the same pc as the server.

I don't see the difference between a local and remote client, don't both work in exactly the same way? just the remote maybe a bit slower(in theroy) since its over the ethernet.

I've not a attached any logs since I'm sure they are the same as everyone elses. Client hangs, going back in time after channel changes fixes the problem.

I'm running the MP SVN 12847 and TVEngine/TVPlugin 12855. Accoring to the SVN change log something rtsp has been fixed but I'm not sure if that fix is included in the revs that I got. Does the time on the SVN change log relate to the time on the SVN binary snapshots?

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    I still can repro on 12855.

Steps used to reproduce:

- Started MP.
    - Entered MyTv.
    - Pressed TVOn Button.
    - Channel data (program info) updated, no Image (black) tv preview.
    - Entered fullscreen. Waited aroun 10 secs.
    - Changed channel. Still no image.
    - Skipped 15secs back. Now theres image playing.
    - Exited MP.

Frodo, another feedback about long running streams: Yesterday I left my system running almost 5 hours after a -15secs skip. Stream did not freeze after the skip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom