New Ambient Lighting system - no knowledge | Page 10

Discussion in 'Ambient Lighting System' started by The_Stig, December 3, 2015.

1. Rick164
    • Super User

Rick164 Super User

Ratings:
    +1,359 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    For data and power its typically:

x2--------------x1
    | | ======== | | x5
    | | ======== | |
    x3--------------x4

Where the corners are x2 / x3 / x4 and x1 /x5 are the start / end points which should have connectors already so no need to solder :)
    So on the start point (x1) you supply data and power and at the end point (x5) you only connect power so that its powered on both ends.

No problem :) , correct every led has there own chip so you don't need the whole for it to work like with x-mas lights for instance if one in the chain dies you can just cut that one out and reconnect.
    You can cut various pieces (1-20 / 21-50 etc..) and connect them together again, make sure to check the direction on the led strip (arrows) as that is important for WS2801 and APA102 as otherwise they don't work.

Those look fine, I use these JST 4 pin connectors for the corners as those are relatively cheap and easy to come by:

https://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/4-weg-jst-sm-verlengkabel-1m
    http://fr.aliexpress.com/item/10-Se...5050-3528-RGB-color-LED-Strip/1558900637.html

Just cut those in half and solder the ends on the corners (male / female on each end), have some pictures of that in the Hyperion thread for reference.

Last edited: January 4, 2016
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The_Stig
    • Premium Supporter

The_Stig Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +426 / 5
    Already have this image printed out and pinned above my tool place.

I guess I misunderstand something then. So startpoint is top right side of the TV (backside) and direction is counter clockwise?

These I have too. But still: soldering needed...guess I will try these other clip connectors first...if its unstable, I am gonna solder...

4. edsche
    • Premium Supporter

edsche Community Plugin Dev

Ratings:
    +338 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    These jst connectors are easy to solder. My main problem was the soldering of the 0,75 mm2 cables to the mid of each stripe. They are too big for the little soldering points on the stripe. I think that is not the ideal solution. But with a big soldering point this will work too.

Also I've soldered a little board where all parts come together and this board is then again connected to the pi. Maybe you should buy also a board. This makes everything easier to setup.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The_Stig
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +426 / 5
    Will do if I really have to use so many power points. But as my setup won't be very big (47" TV), maybe as @Rick164 suggested power from front and end is enough...

6. Rick164
    • Super User

Rick164 Super User

Ratings:
    +1,359 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    Start point is configurable within Hyperion software so can start anywhere, would keep the direction clockwise (from front of tv) as the diagram is from the back of he tv :)

Example:

[​IMG]

Top one is my start point and right one is my end point where it gets power again.

There's this one which does something similar:

http://www.hackerspaceshop.com/raspberrypi-ws2801.html

Works the same as for APA102 afaik, used it a while back for WS2801 and was just plug and play but still still had to solder the corners though.

For soldering best to pre-tin both the jst cable and led connection points so they attach better and have increased surface, WS2812 is a bit easier as you only have 3 connection points but they are very close together already.
    Recently did APA102 144 leds p/m (606 leds total) and those were insanely tight to the leds, basically with the middle ones you had to take your time as those were right next to the led with a tiny copper surface.

Last edited: January 5, 2016
  7. The_Stig
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +426 / 5
    So guys...one step forwards...made a test connection with first 34 LEDS and the already pre-soldered connecting points. I get colourful light when turning on the PI, but its static, its always on and doesn't change when starting MP and turning on media. What I've done so far is:

- Install Hyperion on PI
    - Create Hyperion Config file with changing type to "apa102"
    - Enable and config Atmolight plugin in MP and config to hyperion.

Heeeeelp...what am I missing???

8. Lightning303
    • Premium Supporter

Lightning303 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +578 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
  9. edsche
    • Premium Supporter

edsche Community Plugin Dev

Ratings:
    +338 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    I would try first with the hyperion app on your smartphone before you do anything with mp. Does this work?

10. The_Stig
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +426 / 5
    Full logs attached...

Hyperion app can change colours...

EDIT: Anyone on IRC...maybe easier?

11. The_Stig
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +426 / 5
    But hyperion app on iOS doesn't seem to work properly here...I can enable effects, but not a single colour. And sometimes I get a spinning waiting button forever...

EDIT: Do I have to port forward te hyperion port? Or enable in Firewall?

Last edited: January 9, 2016

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!