New Ambient Lighting system - no knowledge (1 Viewer)

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hrm, 3 corners to connect?
    x3--------------x4
    | |
    | |
    x2----x1 x6----x5

For data and power its typically:

x2--------------x1
    | | ======== | | x5
    | | ======== | |
    x3--------------x4

Where the corners are x2 / x3 / x4 and x1 /x5 are the start / end points which should have connectors already so no need to solder :)
    So on the start point (x1) you supply data and power and at the end point (x5) you only connect power so that its powered on both ends.

So I can use whatever part of the LED-strip? E.g. cut LEDs 1-34, use 35-67 for something else, and then use 68 to end of the strip? Sorry for all this dumb questions, I just don't want to make something wrong.

No problem :) , correct every led has there own chip so you don't need the whole for it to work like with x-mas lights for instance if one in the chain dies you can just cut that one out and reconnect.
    You can cut various pieces (1-20 / 21-50 etc..) and connect them together again, make sure to check the direction on the led strip (arrows) as that is important for WS2801 and APA102 as otherwise they don't work.

EDIT: No, this is for 10mm, my stripe is 12mm...but still: good principle or not reliable enough?

Those look fine, I use these JST 4 pin connectors for the corners as those are relatively cheap and easy to come by:

https://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/4-weg-jst-sm-verlengkabel-1m
    http://fr.aliexpress.com/item/10-Se...5050-3528-RGB-color-LED-Strip/1558900637.html

Just cut those in half and solder the ends on the corners (male / female on each end), have some pictures of that in the Hyperion thread for reference.

Last edited:

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Btw you can use my image of post #49 how to connect the stripes and all other things to the pi.
    Already have this image printed out and pinned above my tool place.

For data and power its typically:

x2--------------x1
    | | ======== | | x5
    | | ======== | |
    x3--------------x4
    I guess I misunderstand something then. So startpoint is top right side of the TV (backside) and direction is counter clockwise?

Those look fine, I use these JST 4 pin connectors for the corners as those are relatively cheap and easy to come by:
    These I have too. But still: soldering needed...guess I will try these other clip connectors first...if its unstable, I am gonna solder...

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Already have this image printed out and pinned above my tool place.

I guess I misunderstand something then. So startpoint is top right side of the TV (backside) and direction is counter clockwise?

These I have too. But still: soldering needed...guess I will try these other clip connectors first...if its unstable, I am gonna solder...
    These jst connectors are easy to solder. My main problem was the soldering of the 0,75 mm2 cables to the mid of each stripe. They are too big for the little soldering points on the stripe. I think that is not the ideal solution. But with a big soldering point this will work too.

Also I've soldered a little board where all parts come together and this board is then again connected to the pi. Maybe you should buy also a board. This makes everything easier to setup.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Also I've soldered a little board where all parts come together and this board is then again connected to the pi. Maybe you should buy also a board. This makes everything easier to setup.
    Will do if I really have to use so many power points. But as my setup won't be very big (47" TV), maybe as @Rick164 suggested power from front and end is enough...

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Start point is configurable within Hyperion software so can start anywhere, would keep the direction clockwise (from front of tv) as the diagram is from the back of he tv :)

Example:

xiino4m-jpg.167851

Top one is my start point and right one is my end point where it gets power again.

There's this one which does something similar:

http://www.hackerspaceshop.com/raspberrypi-ws2801.html

Works the same as for APA102 afaik, used it a while back for WS2801 and was just plug and play but still still had to solder the corners though.

For soldering best to pre-tin both the jst cable and led connection points so they attach better and have increased surface, WS2812 is a bit easier as you only have 3 connection points but they are very close together already.
    Recently did APA102 144 leds p/m (606 leds total) and those were insanely tight to the leds, basically with the middle ones you had to take your time as those were right next to the led with a tiny copper surface.

Last edited:

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    So guys...one step forwards...made a test connection with first 34 LEDS and the already pre-soldered connecting points. I get colourful light when turning on the PI, but its static, its always on and doesn't change when starting MP and turning on media. What I've done so far is:

- Install Hyperion on PI
    - Create Hyperion Config file with changing type to "apa102"
    - Enable and config Atmolight plugin in MP and config to hyperion.

Heeeeelp...what am I missing???

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So guys...one step forwards...made a test connection with first 34 LEDS and the already pre-soldered connecting points. I get colourful light when turning on the PI, but its static, its always on and doesn't change when starting MP and turning on media. What I've done so far is:

- Install Hyperion on PI
    - Create Hyperion Config file with changing type to "apa102"
    - Enable and config Atmolight plugin in MP and config to hyperion.

Heeeeelp...what am I missing???
    I would try first with the hyperion app on your smartphone before you do anything with mp. Does this work?

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Full logs attached...

Hyperion app can change colours...

EDIT: Anyone on IRC...maybe easier?

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    But hyperion app on iOS doesn't seem to work properly here...I can enable effects, but not a single colour. And sometimes I get a spinning waiting button forever...

EDIT: Do I have to port forward te hyperion port? Or enable in Firewall?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom