New Ambient Lighting system - no knowledge (3 Viewers)

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Sorry but they don't work. Don't fit into the 10mm. Its 12mm. Just ordered something at Ali since I didn't find a german store for it.

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Best to get an 12W or 15W max so you can slowly solder it, as otherwise it will indeed get too hot pretty quickly.
    This is my favorite soldering iron for these kind of jobs:

http://www.de-toolbox.nl/a-27506484/elektrisch-gereedschap/weller-mini-2000-wm12-12w-soldeerbout/

Btw got the 10MM ones to fit, had to trim a bit of the strip sides though but still prefer to solder it as there's a bit of slack when closed.
    Found a dutch store for 12MM cables btw:

http://www.toekomstlicht.nl/led-strip-verbindingskabel-smd5050-rgb-12mm.html

Maybe faster than Ali however also more expensive.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Btw got the 10MM ones to fit, had to trim a bit of the strip sides though but still prefer to solder it as there's a bit of slack when closed.
    So you got the 12mm strip to work into the 10mm connector?
    Best to get an 12W or 15W max so you can slowly solder it, as otherwise it will indeed get too hot pretty quickly.
    Ordered now a soldering iron with less power. That Weller iron is too expensive here in Germany. But it's getting a bit expensive with all that additional stuff...gotta keep my money now and hoping to get soldering to work at the weekend.

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    So you got the 12mm strip to work into the 10mm connector?

Yeah had to trim it a bit on both sides but not as far as the copper so worked, for the tv setup gonna solder like the current WS2812 setup unless the 12MM ones don't wobble but should be ok according to the store at least :)

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Guys... I doubt the soldering iron is getting too hot. And in general its better to have a too hot iron than a too cold one, as with the cold one you will need to use it near the electronics for longer. Dont just buy new stuff all the time, but rather learn to use the stuff you have. There are thousands of videos on youtube showing how to solder. And even if there is some kind of problem, for the love of your wallet, please check if your assumptions are right first. Have you messured the temperature of the iron? How does your tin "burn"? What kind of tin are you using? And so on...

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Hehe thanks @Lightning303 , as you may have noted already...I am not the most patience talented guy. Trying to explain the situation with this soldering iron (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004Q5U0AK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage) and this tin (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B009UT102Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage).

- Watched quite a few soldering videos on youtube.
    - Let the iron get hot for around 5 minutes, cannot check temperature (no such device)
    - Trying to get tin onto the iron leads to heavy smoke. After a while and around 20cm of the tin-role it gets better with the smoke and a bit of tin stays on the iron.
    - But after that I simply don't get the tin to the cables and/or to the LED strip.
    - I've read to get a bit of tin to the strip contact points first. But this doesn't work for me too. I am burning the contact points. They are sooooo small...

So, if someone has a detailed description for me, I would be very glad.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    And since we are talking ;) has anyone photos for me where to solder the elko and resistor exactly? Resistor simply into DI cable, but elko one side ground, one side 5V?

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @Lightning303 Tried several soldering irons but for instance with 25W it was getting too hot near the leds and had to wait longer between cable connections as the strip would become hot to the touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom