New Australian TV guide source | Page 25

Discussion in 'Electronic Program Guide' started by angusmann, February 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilMcCavity

PhilMcCavity Portal Pro

Software Engineer
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    That would get my back up too.

Count me as one very happy user. I'd almost forgotten that I use this program - which is why I think it's so good! :D

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Caudron13

Caudron13 Portal Member

IT - Desktop engineer, software engineer.
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Hi Angus

Yes I would like to test your new EPG

Cheers
    Caudron13

4. angusmann

angusmann Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Check your PM's

5. liquidlime

liquidlime New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Hey Angus,

Would love to test the new epg as my current one fails horribly...

Thanks,

Ben

6. RodB

RodB Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Hi
    I have tested guidedigger RC5.8 and I see something which I am not sure if it is a bug or an error in my setup. If there is a TV program which spans midnight (eg starts at 11:30pm and finishes 12:30am) the program appears in the EPG on both the correct night and also the next night. When it appears in the EPG the next night, it over-writes the correct TV program entry in the EPG.
    If I look in the web site where you scrape the data from, the TV program only shows on the correct night.
    If I look in the .txt files in the DATA folder or in the resulting XML file, the TV program which spans midnight appears twice - once for the correct day and once for the following day.

This problem appears on all channels which have TV programs which span midnight.

I dont have this problem if I use the WebEPG function in MP, but it has other issues which annoy me.

Any ideas ??

Regards
    RodB

7. Taipan
    • Premium Supporter

Taipan Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Show System Specs
    Yes, I have observed that problem, too - but assumed that it was the web-site's bad data. However, your thorough research suggests that it is a bug in GuideDigger ....

8. angusmann

angusmann Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Hmmmm....How did this go un-noticed for so long?
    Looking into it now.

EDIT - OK, problem found and corrected. Auto-update should kick in with the revision.

NOTE - people who do NOT update will continue to create the faulty data, which means that people with the new version will continue to get bad data. This sort or problem was anticipated, and it means that users with the update will have to do a complete new "scrape" of the data until a full library is built and available for download. This means the program will take longer to run for a few days until the library is complete. After that it should be back to normal.

Thanks RodB and Taipan for noticing this.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Taipan
    • Premium Supporter

Taipan Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Show System Specs
    Thanks for the prompt response, angusmann,

I assume that this means that we should delete the data folder and disable FTP downloads (but leave FTP uploads active) for a week or so untill only new good data is available via FTP?

Cheers,

Taipan

10. angusmann

angusmann Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Not really....There will now be 2 sets of data.

The first set will be seen by anybody running GuideDigger PRIOR to this update, and will contain the error you identified.
    The second set will be seen only by people running this, or subsequent versions.

GuideDigger is smart enough to download and deal with the data appropriate for its particular version. So it will ignore any data from the previous version, hence it will ignore the faulty data. It will also ignore the faulty data already in the "data" folder.

Disabling FTP download would not achieve anything, since the program would have ignored the faulty data anyway. It will just slow down the running of the program since it would have to scrape it every time rather than getting it quickly by FTP.

Of course at some point "SOMEONE" has to scrape the data, and if you're the very first person to run the new version, this person will be you. But averaged over time, if there are 100 users, you will only have to scrape it every 100 days.

I put this functionality into the program because I anticipated that at some future time, an error might cause it to generate faulty data. Since the data is shared, someone running a very old version might continue to upload faulty data and mess it up for other people running the latest version. Obviously this situation has occurred now, and it was a relatively simple task to activate this protection. If another similar problem comes up next week, and again the week afer it can be activated again and again and the program will always be able to know which data to download. I think that's pretty clever :).

11. gusangora

gusangora Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Show System Specs
    I think that is very clever!
    Well done and thanks again.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!