New client (1 Viewer)

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
August 12, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

I started to develope a new client application, which uses MediaPortal TV Server and maybe ArgusTV to watch TV. It's a totally different approach than MediaPortal Client, so that's why I decided to create a new one from scratch instead of trying to add my ideas to MediaPortal.

I'm wondering if this is welcome here and if I'm allowed to introduce my project and maybe ask whether some developers are interested in and want to help? I don't want to compete with MediaPortal! I just want to create an alternative client. And as said it would use the MediaPortal TV Server.

If I should go somewhere else and if this is not welcome here, please delete this thread and let me know by private message! :)

Best regards,
Sascha

P.S.: As said, I "started" to develope, so there is nothing to see, yet ;-)

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Personally I think anyone who contributes to an open source project is a welcome addition.

However, a note of caution. GUI development is very time consuming and if you're starting from scratch it's going to take a lot of effort building the framework of your app before you're ready to add even the most basic bells and whistles. Unless you're developing an MP client for a platform that doesn't have one, or you're trying to build something very lightweight that needs to do something no existing MP client does and nothing else, I suggest you try to achieve what you want in a plugin.

Maybe outline what you're trying to achieve and we could collectively brainstorm how that might work?

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

thanks for your answer :)

I'm developing since 15 years and working as a developer since 10 years, so I know how huge this project will be and that's no problem for me :)

In short (because if I'm allowed to introduce my project I would create a new thread, because this thread is about the question whether it is ok or not):

- .NET 4.5, WPF, C#
    - Metro Style
    - Very easy to understand project structure and code
    - Very easy to develope plugins
    - Fast
    - Very user friendly and designed for HTPC with remote control (you never ever need to go to the desktop, you don't need a mouse or keyboard)
    - Updates, Installing new Plugins, etc. is also available in my application
    - Live Tiles on Home Screen
    - Three types of plugins: Default Plugins (like TV, Movie, Pictures, Online Videos, etc.), Background Plugins (which have no UI) and SidePlugins (which will be shown while another Plugin is running, for example: Search the internet while watching TV, it's like having to metro apps side by side in Windows 8)
    - Great global settings system. Easy backup and restore (also with OneDrive support)
    - Global notification system
    - After restoring from hibernate/standby TV will directly play
    - and so on, and so on

Because of (commercial) applications I wrote in the past, I have a lot of experience for a lot of features of my project (if you want to know which applications, please send a private message).

Currently the project structure, project name, plugin architecture, settings and log system are finished. Domain and CodePlex page are registered :)

I know it takes a lot of time, but that doesn't matter. I have fun with that project :) Of course I would appreciate if someone would like to help developing.

There are two things where I don't have the experience: Communicating with MediaPortal TV Server and creating a DirectShow video player control (cause WPF MediaElement and WPFMediaKit aren't very good).

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    You're not wrong, that is a huge project!

I'm going to assume that list is subconsciously in priority order and what you mainly want is a Metro interface. Tagging @morpheus_xx because MP2 is C# .Net 4.5, structured the way you want and already does a lot of the "boring" framework stuff. If you're not afraid of the amount of work then in my humble opinion your time would be better spent writing a skin for MP2 (there have already been two attempts to my knowledge but they both went quiet a few years ago) rather than inventing a universe just to make an apple pie (ooh get me with the Carl Sagan quote ;) )

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No, sorry if you misunderstood me. Yes, I like Metro, but it is not the reason for the project, so I don't just want to have a metro skin. I also like developing the boring framework stuff :-D I like to start from scratch and thinking about classes, the structure, etc. I don't like to study a very long time a very huge existing project to understand it. I have a lot of different ideas and I like to have the freedom to implement what every I want :D So I will develope this, even though if it will be just for me at the end. So the question is not whether I want to develope this, the question is, if I'm allowed to introduce this in this forum and ask for help or not, cause I don't want to anger someone. And of course I like to share my code and try to help with MP, but noone can't hold me off to develope this new client :)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Interesting thread. I like developers with visions (y)

But I agree with MrTechno, you could take a look at MP2 code base. It is a complete rewrite and code and architecture is very different to MP1 (and probably other HTPC apps). If you know WPF already, you'll find yourself comfortable with MP2's MPF (MediaportalPresentationFoundation ;))

Maybe you don't need to reinvent everything if you take a look into MP2 first. I offer you to guide you through if you like :)

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I like the idea :)
    Also I would like you to join our team, I'm very interested in the progress of your app. So i have no problem if you keep us updated here ;)

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    Can I suggest a compromise?

I think there is a case for a Windows 8+ client. As I understand it from talking to GUI devs just about everything needs to be rewritten because all the namespaces have been moved around.

If you started with MP2 core i.e. https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-2/tree/master/MediaPortal/Source/Core that will get you connected to the server and you'd still get to write your GUI from scratch.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Snoopy87 what do you think about our proposals?

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As said, it's my hobby and I really like and want to develop this client at least for my personal use, but I will share it, if someone else is interested in this project.
    Whenever I have the time or whenever I discover something in the MP sourcecode which should be changed, I will help, too! :)

I published my codeplex project now! It's in a very early stage, so it's only source code nothing happens while running the application (except loading the first Plugin for testing purposes).

http://www.mediaprime.org/

What I'm doing next: Adding my already developed setting system and then developing the UI and UI controls which will be used by the main application and plugins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom