New DVB subtitle filter (TsReader based) (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    No code changes so it is most likely caused by the filter project refactoring. Lets wait until diehard2 has resolved the issue and try again at that point.

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Yeah I figured something like this.

Also I tried the filters diehard2 has published on the FTP - still the same.

/gibman

diehard2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I forgot to mention, please also reinstall the latest svn 18257 or greater after installing the redist

nobbly

Portal Member
    September 18, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    I have two problems with DVB Subtitles:

Problem 1:

When rewinding a .ts recording or live TV and then resuming play, the subtitles no longer show until the original point is reached and then they begin to display again. To clarify:

I watch from point A to point B. If I rewind from point B back to point A and then resume playing, the subtitles no longer show from point A to point B. They begin to show again after point B.

This is a big problem as when I am unable to keep up with fast displaying subtitles (perhaps due to fast talking) it is not possible to rewind and re-display the subtitles. I mainly use rewinding/fast forwarding to navigate as it usually provides a more accurate method of replaying.

This problem does not occur with fast forwarding or jumping/stepping backwards/forwards, i.e. they do display the subtitles.

Problem 2:

A more minor issue than above is the display of subtitles in live broadcasts such as BBC News 24 etc (and the playing back in MediaPortal of the recordings of those live broadcasts). Subtitles with live broadcasts should display one word at a time with each word coming after the last on the same line until the line is full and then a new line is displayed as follows:

word1

word1 word2

word1 word2 word3

word1 word2 word3 word4

word1 word2 word3 word4 word5

word1 word2 word3 word4 word5 word6

word7

word7 word8

word7 word8 word9

word7 word8 word9 word10

word7 word8 word9 word10 word11

word7 word8 word9 word10 word11 word12

word13

word13 word14 etc...

The above is what a set top box displays as does VLC and other TV software.

However MediaPortal does not display them correctly like above. MediaPortal displays the subtitles with one full line with the second line with only one word. Then these are replaced with a new line of words with the second line again with only one word. As follows:

word7

word13

word13 word14 word15 word16 word17 word18
    word19

etc.....

This makes reading the subtitles quite difficult as it is at odds with the normal display of subtitles.

I am currently using TV Server version 18062 (& same MediaPortal SVN) as this is the most stable for my system. However I've been using the DVB subtitles feature in MediaPortal since about Version 6 of the DVB subtitles, and since then all versions and SVN's have had the same two problems as given above. It makes no difference what codec I'm using (I'm currently using a Cyberlink video codec). Windows XP, DVB-T.

Please let me know if you require any further information such as samples etc.

mbb

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2004
    Home Country
    France France
    I would like to fix wrong french characters in teletext subtitle, but I didnt find where I can do that in the code.
    Is somebody can point me on the good part of code?

I have another (but not technical) question.

I have only teletext subtitles with my provider. I set the subtitle preference in french (all codes fr..) but I have to set it manually when I watch a channel.
    How can I have it in auto mode (for my mother in law)?

Thanks

mbb

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I would like to fix wrong french characters in teletext subtitle, but I didnt find where I can do that in the code.
    Is somebody can point me on the good part of code?

mediaportal\Core\Player\TeletextSubtitles

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I have two problems with DVB Subtitles:

Problem 1:

When rewinding a .ts recording or live TV and then resuming play, the subtitles no longer show until the original point is reached and then they begin to display again. To clarify:

I watch from point A to point B. If I rewind from point B back to point A and then resume playing, the subtitles no longer show from point A to point B. They begin to show again after point B.

This is a big problem as when I am unable to keep up with fast displaying subtitles (perhaps due to fast talking) it is not possible to rewind and re-display the subtitles. I mainly use rewinding/fast forwarding to navigate as it usually provides a more accurate method of replaying.

This problem does not occur with fast forwarding or jumping/stepping backwards/forwards, i.e. they do display the subtitles.

Problem 2:

A more minor issue than above is the display of subtitles in live broadcasts such as BBC News 24 etc (and the playing back in MediaPortal of the recordings of those live broadcasts). Subtitles with live broadcasts should display one word at a time with each word coming after the last on the same line until the line is full and then a new line is displayed as follows:

word1

word1 word2

word1 word2 word3

word1 word2 word3 word4

word1 word2 word3 word4 word5

word7

word7 word8

word7 word8 word9

word7 word8 word9 word10

word7 word8 word9 word10 word11

word13

word13 word14 etc...

The above is what a set top box displays as does VLC and other TV software.

However MediaPortal does not display them correctly like above. MediaPortal displays the subtitles with one full line with the second line with only one word. Then these are replaced with a new line of words with the second line again with only one word. As follows:

word7

word13

word13 word14 word15 word16 word17 word18
    word19

etc.....

This makes reading the subtitles quite difficult as it is at odds with the normal display of subtitles.

I am currently using TV Server version 18062 (& same MediaPortal SVN) as this is the most stable for my system. However I've been using the DVB subtitles feature in MediaPortal since about Version 6 of the DVB subtitles, and since then all versions and SVN's have had the same two problems as given above. It makes no difference what codec I'm using (I'm currently using a Cyberlink video codec). Windows XP, DVB-T.

Please let me know if you require any further information such as samples etc.

Unfortunately I'm pretty low on my free time (and it will last most likely for one year at least, maybe more) :(

Bug #1 sounds like a small bug, I'll try to reprduce it locally and see if I find something that causes it.

Bug #2 sounds like there is bigger effort to support such subtitle "type". Unfortunately I'm not planning to support that this time because

1) not much free time (as said before), and I'm planning to spend the available free time on fixing MP bugs that are affecting my own HTPC usage
    2) Seems like it's not any big issue as you or anyone else haven't been reporting this issue earlier (even if you have seen it for months...)

...but still it woulnd't hurt to have a sample of that kind of subtitle stream as 1) maybe I find some free time to check that issue (no very likely) 2) maybe someone else interested starts to look at that issue (not very likely either as I haven't received any source code patches during the whole development time... Ziphnor, you arent counted as you were developing :) )

:sorry:

nobbly

Portal Member
    September 18, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Unfortunately I'm pretty low on my free time (and it will last most likely for one year at least, maybe more) :(

OK. Thanks for spending the time you have done on the DVB Subtitles, cos it's what brought me back to using MediaPortal again (along with the TV Server). I almost always use subtitles particularly in recordings as I often find it difficult to work out what people are saying half the time - actors mumbling too much! (Probably also me going deaf.)

As you are so short of time, please do ignore Bug #2, as like you say it's not that important, but I thought I'd let you know about it anyway.

Bug #1 on the other hand does cause loads of problems for me since I seem to spend a lot of my time rewinding when watching recordings in order to work out what's going on, which means I lose the subtitles. I had been meaning to report this for some time, and am surprised that no one else has yet. Maybe it's a unique thing to do with the UK DVB-T broadcasts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom