New DVB subtitle filter (TsReader based) (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Latest update 2008/03/02

How to install:

- Make sure that you have installed following update -> Download details: Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

- If you have installed the DVBSub2.ax filter previously then unregister it

- Install latest MP SVN version

- Install latest TVE3 SVN version

- Enable subtitles with cofigure.exe under Television->TV Client->Subtitles

notes:
    - in fullscreen tv and video modes pressing key 'L' will cycle thru all available subtiltes (DVB bitmap / teletext)
    - no binaty paches are needed anymore
    - TsReader.ax is currently the default source filter (no need for c:\useTsReader.txt anymore)

Version history:

Version 1:
    Changes are based on SVN revision: 15294

- First public beta version

Version 2:
    Changes are based on SVN revision: 15417

- Reduced CPU usage
    - Reduced logging in MP side (debug mode logging)
    - Fixed seeking causing the subtitles disapear
    - Fixed video stream corruption happening sometimes
    - Fixed subtitle data arriving too late sometimes -> late subtitles

Version 3:
    Changes are based on SVN revision: 15437

- Log gets deleted everytime when filter is created
    - Fixed a resource leak in TsReader & DVBSub (could fix some hangs when zapping)
    - Fixed sometimes pressing stop hangs
    - Fixed subtitles leaked sometimes (inside MP, when user is not in the full screen tv view)
    - Added support for rendering the subtitles in the video overlays

Version 4:
    Changes are based on SVN revision: 15516

- Fixed some compiler warnings
    - Fixed a memory leak when processing subtitle bitmaps
    - Fixed a resource leak inside the TsReader

Version 5:
    Changes are based on SVN revision: 15598

- Fixed pausing playback causing the subtitle timing to go off
    - Fixed seeking causing the subtitle timing to go off
    - Fixed channel changing was not resetting the subtitle cache on MP side (subtitles could be displayed on wrong channel)
    - Adjusted the maximum subtitle timeout (now it's 5 seconds)

Version 6:
    Changes are based on SVN revision: 15713

- Improved subtitle timeout behaviour. Filter now uses empty page composition pages if available in the stream
    - Improved alpha channel handling
    - Fixed subtitles being too wide sometimes
    - Adjusted the maximum subtitle timeout (now it's 6 seconds)

Version 7:
    Changes are based on SVN revision: 15764

- Fixed TS buffer rollover causing freezing subtitles or no subtitles after the rollover

Version 8:
    Changes are based on SVN revision: 15980

- First version to support teletext subtitles
    - Added subtitle stream / language selection
    - Added disabling rendering of subtitles
    - Fixed TsReader causing a hang when no subtitle filter was in the graph and playback was stopped
    - Some other fixes that I have already forgotten...

Version 9:
    Changes are based on SVN revision: 15987

- Fixed a random hang when subtitle filter is enabled and zapping channels

Version 10:
    Changes are based on SVN revision: 16896

- Fixed subtitles getting lost sometimes

Version 13:
    Changes are based on SVN revision: 17218

- Fixed handling of DVB streams that have padding in the same stream as the subtitle data is (crash 28.1.2008 > Finland / Yle)

Version 14:
    Changes are based on SVN revision: 17648

- Fixed a bug that caused DVB bitmap subtitles to get lost sometimes in live tv (hopefully the last bug causing this...)

Version 15:
    Changes are based on SVN revision: 17683

- Fixed subtitle timeout calculation.

Open issues:

Missing features:

Upload account for .ts test files:

ftp.team-mediaportal.com
    login:tsdump@team-mediaportal.com
    pass: mpuser88

...btw, happy testing and please remember it's only BETA version :D

tontsa

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    works

Filter works atleast for DVB-T .FI YLE TV1 channel. Though there's small issue if you press record then it stops displaying the subs. They do get recorded though into the .ts (verified using VLC).

I'll see later today if the timing is correct there. Right now just a quick test remotely.

accolon

Portal Member
    March 23, 2007
    Where should i add the information of point 4 in the registry or in a file? What file if that's the case

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Where should i add the information of point 4 in the registry or in a file? What file if that's the case

Sorry, that information was missing from the first post. The correct location is in MediaPortal.xml (first post has been now updated to contain that information).

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I can't get subs to show at all. Previous filter worked but I've reinstalled whole system so there could be something done differently with filters/drivers now.

I recorded a clip with MP and subs were present on clip (checked with VLC).

Logs attached from watching a program which has subs.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I can't get subs to show at all. Previous filter worked but I've reinstalled whole system so there could be something done differently with filters/drivers now.

I recorded a clip with MP and subs were present on clip (checked with VLC).

Logs attached from watching a program which has subs.

Looks like the subtitle filter doesn't receive any subtitles PES packets (dunno why). Only way to try to solve that issue is that you are able to provide the recorded .ts file. (There is the FTP account information available somewhere in the previous subtitle filter thread :)

update: added the FTP login information to the first post.

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Couldn't logon mediaportal FTP so I put the file here.

It was the only program with dvb subs present when tested subs so can't yet tell if some other show would actually work on my system. One note though, in that recording there are two dvb subs present, could that confuse the filter?

In other dvb-softwares which support subtitles you can select subtitle language, I think we need a feature like that on MP too. Better yet, give it an option to select primary language and secondary so if first preferred isn't available, display second preferred and if it isn't defined on ts-stream, just display subs that's in it.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Couldn't logon mediaportal FTP so I put the file here.

It was the only program with dvb subs present when tested subs so can't yet tell if some other show would actually work on my system. One note though, in that recording there are two dvb subs present, could that confuse the filter?

Thanks for the test file, it's also not working correctly here, dunno yet why. It shouldn't be bacause of the multiple subtitle languages as I have some test files that already work and they contain two subtitle streams.

In other dvb-softwares which support subtitles you can select subtitle language, I think we need a feature like that on MP too. Better yet, give it an option to select primary language and secondary so if first preferred isn't available, display second preferred and if it isn't defined on ts-stream, just display subs that's in it.

That's something to be added when the basic functionality is working good enough.

Lately Frodo has done some big changes in the TsReader itself so it will take some time for me to catch up with those changes. I will be also one week traveling so the next update will be available maybe in two weeks.

pmcguire

Portal Pro
    November 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Thanks for all the effort you guys are putting into making this work.
    I tried that file and didn't see any subs either, going to move over to Vista permanently this week.

Worth waiting for the 2.3 non RC? Or is it some way away still?

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Bugs (affecting me) not fixed yet are collected in this post.
    Only bugs not present in vanilla TsReader are listed here.

List updated for v7. Status: dvbsub2.ax seems close to bug free (for me at least). There are some bugs connected to TsReader, however.
    A list of current issues in TsReader can be found here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showpost.php?p=173216&postcount=271

Unfixed bugs:

Recycling of timeshifting files results in missing subtitles. (fixed in version 7)
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showpost.php?p=175030&postcount=146
    Users can work around this issue by increasing the timeshift file sizes or numbers. I use min 6 files of 2500 MB (I have plenty of disk space).

New bug in version 6: Subtitles on 16:9 shows are displayed as being too narrow on some configurations.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showpost.php?p=176942&postcount=159

Fixed bugs:

Removal of subtitles is currently done by timeout causing all subtitles to be displayed for a fixed amount of time. (Fixed in version 6)

When turning on live tv timing of subtitles is perfect. However, after seeking the timing is slightly delayed. (confirmed - both single and multiseat). Delays also appear in .ts recordings after seeking. (Fixed in version 5).

Additionally there seems to be a memory leak in dvbsub2.ax when watching TV, as memory usage of MP is currently: Mem Size 316 MB, VM size 397 MB after timeshifting tv for 6 hours. Memory leak is not present when using vanilla TsReader. Memory leak only occur when watching a channel with DVB subtitles. (Fixed in v4)

Some (at least one) .ts recordings produce a large memory leak when stopping playback. https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showpost.php?p=170498&postcount=87 (confirmed - still leaking in v4 - Correction: Seems to be fixed)

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showpost.php?p=169645&postcount=65 (Fixed in v4)

----Original post kept below----
    First of all. Great work tourettes, it is much appreciated (wife misses subtitles, as even she is almost exclusively using MP for TV-viewing).

I have two bugs to report (maybe related). Both are seen on live TV.

1:
    MP sometimes hangs when stopping live tv. ("logs dvbsub2.zip")

2:
    Sometimes MP hangs when I change channels. In this instance it is channelchange to channel in same mux, but it also happens when changing channels from DVB-T to DVB-C. ("Channel change crash.zip")

Additionally seeking seems to be broken, but you already know that?

Multi-seat is not supposed to work with subtitles. Is that correct?

Regards
    Seidelin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom