New Eee Box 204/206 - Perfect Client?? (1 Viewer)

naich

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    " ... seems to be a hardware defect. Plz use the asus pick up service and we change the box in 5-10 days ..."

Try it and hope the problem is gone.

Yes, it was !!

The new box works like a charm :D

I use cyberlink codec and Ati HD rear out, but sometimes after changing from one HD channel to another I'd to go to home and stop media. After that it works again.

Which Codec and AudioOutput do you use?

cu

naich

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi!

Thinking about upgrading the B206 with another Gig Ram.

Did you try this yet and is there a significant better performance for the EeeBox?

cu

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi all,

In a rush of enthusiasm, I've just ordered a B206 with 2G to use as an HD-capable MP client only.

One thing worries me - the MP specs say that the MP client should be minimum dual core P4 @2Ghz, whereas the eebox B206 is a single core 1.6Ghz Atom.

Anyone able to confirm that the B206 will work?

THx:)

Cheers
    ...Steve

naich

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Anyone able to confirm that the B206 will work?

Yes, I use the box as a client in a multi seat setup and it works great for my needs.

Also HD works without stutter. Only thing I never tried is 1080p.
    720p and 1080i are perfect here.

cu

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi all,

In a rush of enthusiasm, I've just ordered a B206 with 2G to use as an HD-capable MP client only.

<snip>

Cheers
    ...Steve

Hi all,
    2G eee Box 206 arrived and configured (From pcmarket.com.au - A$749 -very efficient delivery). Really nice and amazingly tiny box. Using it with a BENQ z2412HS monitor.

After I deleted all the "smart" applications to make XP nearly barebone, it seemed to work reasonably well as an MP Client except (from initial testing):
    1. Very juddery (unwatchable) on HDTV over wireless connection to TV server - uses 25% of WLAN bandwidth, and quite juddery on SDTV.
    2. Quite juddery on HDTV on 100MB wired LAN, but OK on SDTV and all video (incuding HD video)
    3. Poor graphics display quality (very grainy) unless using HD
    4. Did an update of ASUS drivers etc, and display now goes "orange" after clean boot. Changing display settings to 800x760 then back to 1080 fixes this until next reboot.
    6. Trying to work out how to manage the TV/(including media) server wakeup when the client starts up.

More playing with settings etc over the weekend I hope.....will report back:)

Cheers
    ...Steve

naich

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1. Very juddery (unwatchable) on HDTV over wireless connection to TV server - uses 25% of WLAN bandwidth, and quite juddery on SDTV.
    SD needs a really perfect WLAN. I afraid if you don't use N (300Mbit Wlan) there's no chance to get HD working via WLan.

3. Poor graphics display quality (very grainy) unless using HD
    ... is working perfect for me on an cheap LG HD ready TV / via HDMI ...

Did an update of ASUS drivers etc, and display now goes "orange" after clean boot. Changing display settings to 800x760 then back to 1080 fixes this until next reboot.
    Bevor i updated all the drivers HD isn't working well for me too. After update it works perfect.
    the "orange" display after reboot seems to be a really problem. Try to download the drivers from the Asus website directly and reinstall them. Maybe this will solve your problems.

cu

naich

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Steve,

did you solve your problems with your b206?

cu

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Naich,

Sorry for being a bit tardy - I forgot about this thread and I've also been away.

Gave up on running over wireless, will have to run some extra cables.

Downloaded new ASUS graphics drivers and still had the orange screen problem. Lodged a call with Asus who sent me another link to drivers which had the same version number, but slightly differnt file sizes. These worked!!

Server and client keep awake and wakeup problem is being tracked on a different thread...https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-talk-45/wake-lan-client-tv-server-67343/index2.html

So basically, nearly there, but a few niggles to go:)

Cheers
    ...Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom